31 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:11 AM

Has anyone in the UK popped into a bookstore lately and had a look at the latest paperback editions of the Young Bond novels. Any change to the cover art? Are the later editions of Hurricane Gold still still reflective golden, or have they gone with yellow? Same with By Royal Command. Thanks.

#2 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:17 PM

I will try to have a look at the weekend and let you know Zencat.

Any news passed your way on By Royal Command Limited Edition to complete all of our sets?

#3 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:27 PM

I asked Penguin about the BRC Limited Slipcased version and can report that there are still no plans to release it. No really a report as such is it.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:43 PM

I haven't asked recently about the BRC special. Thanks for checking on it. Too bad there are still no plans. Be a shame not to complete the set.

I'm not feeling optimistic about the future of YB (or my website) at the moment. May is going to be a big month here in the U.S. with the release of BRC, SGN, and Charlie's tour. But after the release of the paperback Dossier in the UK in June, there just isn't anything on the horizon. I'm actually considering ceasing to update my site in June, unless of course we get some major news. But it has been like pulling teeth getting any info lately. For whatever reasons, most of my contacts are not even answering my emails anymore. Feels like everyone has closed the book on YB. It's a little depressing.

#5 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:54 PM

For me, most of the signals that Charlie Higson will write more YB books are there. I got the impression from the Dossier book for some reason. Did it not say there will be more Bond adventures or something along them lines? Hinting at least a little about the future? Chances are I got it wrong and it just meant Bond's future in the Fleming books.

Not sure what the tweet from Charlie means..."Never fear. Bond lives! It's carnage in 'The Dead', though." ?? Bond lives??

You must keep the website going Zencat, I am sure you will get some positive info when Charlie goes to the US, even if you are sworn to secrecy.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:33 PM

Not sure what the tweet from Charlie means..."Never fear. Bond lives! It's carnage in 'The Dead', though." ?? Bond lives??

That made me sit up as well. But if you look below you'll see that he tweeted he just killed one of his major characters. Someone probably asked, "James Bond?" This was his response.

#7 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:33 AM

I haven't asked recently about the BRC special. Thanks for checking on it. Too bad there are still no plans. Be a shame not to complete the set.

I'm not feeling optimistic about the future of YB (or my website) at the moment. May is going to be a big month here in the U.S. with the release of BRC, SGN, and Charlie's tour. But after the release of the paperback Dossier in the UK in June, there just isn't anything on the horizon. I'm actually considering ceasing to update my site in June, unless of course we get some major news. But it has been like pulling teeth getting any info lately. For whatever reasons, most of my contacts are not even answering my emails anymore. Feels like everyone has closed the book on YB. It's a little depressing.

So there's still no news about the Young Bond Dossier being released in the U.S. in the coming months? What's your take on that zencat? Do you think it will happen at some point or do you think it's not likely?

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:22 AM

So there's still no news about the Young Bond Dossier being released in the U.S. in the coming months? What's your take on that zencat? Do you think it will happen at some point or do you think it's not likely?

I asked about this a while back and, at that time, there were no plans to publish it in the US. I'll check again nearer the release of BRC. It certainly won't be published this year.

#9 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:12 AM

Thanks zen.

#10 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:01 PM

I had look at the YB paperbacks today. Looks to me like no change. On version 6 of HG paperback and still on 1 on copywrite page of the paperback for BRC. The earlier books looked like no change also.

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for checking, Dan. I appreciate it. B)

#12 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

Anyone heard any news on the BRC Limited Edition? I would be quite upset if it never got made. Imagine that......I cant bear thinking about it.

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:47 PM

I thought about asking the other day. Think I'm resisting because I have a feeling they are not going to do one. Feels like YB has been all played out on the UK end.

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:00 PM

Ok, I fired off an email. We'll see what they say, or if they even get back to me. Some key people have left Penguin so it's been harder for me to get info out of the UK. Kinda feel like I've been cut loose along with YB.

#15 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:00 PM

My goodness, thats sad news Zencat if it's true. For some reason I thought they would have to complete the set, but I guess it's not financially viable, it doesn't really matter about the collector wanting to complete their set. Hurricane Gold Limited Edition is still available on the Waterstone's website and still at Hatchards. I still see Double or Die Limited edition in some shops. I still have sleepless nights about the By Royal Command with the secret word in the front cover. Wasn't that only 20 that were made?

Has Charlie Higson been on his book tour in the U.S. yet Zencat? I am really hoping you can tap into him for some exclusive info.

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:10 PM

Charlie's tour starts late May. Dates.

Unfortunately, when it comes to YB, I don't think there's any exclusive info to tap. Think I/we pretty much know where things stand. It's in limbo. (Also not sure I'll even see Charlie as he's not doing any signing in CA this time.)

#17 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:22 PM

The oulook is quite cold then. At least The Enemy series has got off to a good start. Very readable.

I take it no more Comics are to follow Silverfin?? No news also....

Edited by DAN LIGHTER, 15 April 2010 - 09:23 PM.

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:52 PM

Now news on another GN. Be awesome though.

#19 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

Ok, I fired off an email. We'll see what they say.

Heard back.

"There are still currently no plans to release a special edition of BRC I'm afraid."

Think we may need to let this one go. Dang!

#20 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:39 PM

Same reply I got a few months back Zen, I will let it go if you will. We can be strong with each others support.

Ahhhh Humour. Almost.

Thanks for finding out Zencat.

If only someone had contacts like Kev Walker. Ask him if he has been approached to do anymore GN.

Edited by DAN LIGHTER, 16 April 2010 - 05:23 PM.

#21 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:53 PM

Damn. Disappointing news about the By Royal Command Collector's Edition. I would've thought it'd be a good way to keep milking the Young Bond cash cow after the series has ended. Is there enough fan interest for us to rally together to show Penguin a demand for it?

By the way, do we know anything about this mysterious entry for SilverFin that's been floating about Amazon for some time? The release date is coming up.

#22 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:25 AM

By the way, do we know anything about this mysterious entry for SilverFin that's been floating about Amazon for some time? The release date is coming up.

I can get nothing on that, nor this listing on the French Amazon for a "Puffin Designer Classic" edition. I'm just waiting for Penguin to post their next catalog, maybe the answer(s) will be in there. Hope so. Because after the PB Dossier is published in June, I see nothing on the horizon and, frankly, no reason for a YB website.

#23 Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:06 AM

I can get nothing on that, nor this listing on the French Amazon for a "Puffin Designer Classic" edition. I'm just waiting for Penguin to post their next catalog, maybe the answer(s) will be in there. Hope so. Because after the PB Dossier is published in June, I see nothing on the horizon and, frankly, no reason for a YB website.

Sad news. Considering sales, I'd have thought IFP and Puffin would have kept them coming in one form or another. The move to have HG in the same year as DOD just to have the last one coincide with the centennial was unnecessary since it didn't come out until later that year. They should have kept releasing them in January 2008 (HG) and 2009 (BRC), then the dossier in 2010 and another graphic novel in 2011. If they have a change of heart and want to revive it after CH is done with the enemy, they'll find people forget very quickly, especially kids. Shame.

#24 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:19 AM

Sad news. Considering sales, I'd have thought IFP and Puffin would have kept them coming in one form or another. The move to have HG in the same year as DOD just to have the last one coincide with the centennial was unnecessary since it didn't come out until later that year. They should have kept releasing them in January 2008 (HG) and 2009 (BRC), then the dossier in 2010 and another graphic novel in 2011. If they have a change of heart and want to revive it after CH is done with the enemy, they'll find people forget very quickly, especially kids. Shame.

Well said. I wonder why they released them so close together? Although at the time I was chomping at the bit to get new YB storys, it has now passed by all to quickly. As you say, kids will have moved on to the next thing and forgot.

#25 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:55 PM

They didn't do that to coincide with the centenary. Charlie explained in one of my interviews, they released both books in the same year simply because he wrote both books in the same year. He was actually attempting to make room for other work by doing this. But the publisher said, "Great, another book done! Let's put it out in Fall!"

EDIT: Here's the quote:

Actually, what happened was Book Four was not meant to be out till next year. Next January or February. And I had quite a busy year this year. I knew the first half of the year I had various other writing jobs, so I delivered Book Four early to Puffin, and pushed it through to make sure it was finished well in advance so that I could clear the decks to get on with other writing before I started on Book Five. But, of course, publishers being publishers, they got the book early and said “Well, we’ll publish it early!”

#26 Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

Exactly. I was also ecstatic about HG coming out early. It was only four months but it made you feel a year. Similarly, I've always read references to TSWLM being the first film that took three years to be released, whereas in reality it took 2.5, same as OHMSS.

Well said. I wonder why they released them so close together? Although at the time I was chomping at the bit to get new YB storys, it has now passed by all to quickly. As you say, kids will have moved on to the next thing and forgot.

#27 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

Well said. I wonder why they released them so close together?

Look one post above, Donovan.

EDIT: Or are you asking why the publishers didn't hold back when they got the second book early? Corporate short term thinking is my guess.

#28 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

Please keep the website going zencat.

#29 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:03 PM

Unless there's something tangible after June, I don't see the point really. I'll keep it online, but I probably won't update it anymore. Leave it frozen with news the last release up top. (But I'd be back in a flash if we news of more books, of course.)

#30 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

I can get nothing on that. I'm just waiting for Penguin to post their next catalog, maybe the answer will be in there. Hope so.

It appears that listing IS a mistake of some kind. It's not even a new ISBN. Expect it to vanish soon.