This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

That "oil girl" scene should never have been filmed!

82 replies to this topic

#1 5 BONDS

5 BONDS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:44 AM

That entire "golden girl" scene from goldfinger was pointlessly used in QOS. Why was it ever filmed for a rebooted Bond series? What was the reason for it?.Why did we need to be reminded that we were watching a Bond movie?

That scene completely kills the movie, very unoriginal and dour. If there were any way of redoing that scene I would really wish the film makers would maybe for the foreseeabale director's cut bluray or even perhaps just omit it.

What do you think?

#2 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:16 PM

I enjoyed it. It looked very glamourous in an odd sort of way. It was one of the few highlights of the film for me.

#3 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:21 PM

For all that it has been indulged, there were far too many so-called "hommage" scenes in QOS - essentially, lazy film-making - which carried the same impact as Brozza fingering Klebb's shoe in DAD.

This was just the most culpable.

#4 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:24 PM

There were far more homages in Die Another Day than there ware in Quantum of Solace. The only obvious reference was the oil fields scene. Other than that, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

#5 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:39 PM

The fact that we're even comparing QUANTUM OF SOLACE to DIE ANOTHER DAY speaks volumes.

#6 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:20 PM

There were far more homages in Die Another Day than there ware in Quantum of Solace. The only obvious reference was the oil fields scene. Other than that, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Well, DAD certainly has the good manners to chuck all its "homages" into the scenes around Q's lab.

QOS on the other hand, er, artisticly weaves them into the film's narrative.

The doorless car at the end of the pretitles referencing AVTAK?

The bodyguard falling off the roof AFTER BEING CLIPPED OFF BOND'S TIE!!!! I'm sure there's somthing similar in TSWLM...

From the same film, the walk from the desert, Bond in a suit, his leading lady in a black evening dress?

The freefall? All that's missing is Rog's blazer... and better filming, of course.

They're just from the top of my head.

#7 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:23 PM

The nom de guerre, Robert Sterling, was another Spy reference, said he, knowledgeably.

#8 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:28 PM

Well, DAD certainly has the good manners to chuck all its "homages" into the scenes around Q's lab.

QOS on the other hand, er, artisticly weaves them into the film's narrative.

The doorless car at the end of the pretitles referencing AVTAK?

The bodyguard falling off the roof AFTER BEING CLIPPED OFF BOND'S TIE!!!! I'm sure there's somthing similar in TSWLM...

From the same film, the walk from the desert, Bond in a suit, his leading lady in a black evening dress?

The freefall? All that's missing is Rog's blazer... and better filming, of course.

They're just from the top of my head.

Ah but at-least they were beneficial to the plot, however slim it was. B)

#9 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

They put these 'homages' there because they know the vast majority of aficionados like us will go crazy to see them. It's always been this way. Given the standard the Craig films have set, the best they owe us is to try and make them work organically in an interesting way.

The oil scene itself I thought was clever enough, a great moment in the story, visually arresting, and all the while a snide little loaded statement about how our culture has changed since that first iconic moment.

#10 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:57 PM

They put these 'homages' there because they know the vast majority of aficionados like us will go crazy to see them. It's always been this way. Given the standard the Craig films have set, the best they owe us is to try and make them work organically in an interesting way.

Well, this afficianado would just prefer it if they came up with something original.

Particularly if they're after the kind of praise Forster sought.

#11 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:51 PM

I'm always going to give Forster credit for trying to bring his own style and vision to a Bond film. Obviously whether he succeeded or not is going to depend upon how you feel about QoS but overall, I really liked how the film "looked" especially the scenes at the opera. But that being said I felt the oil girl moment was one of worst moments, sticking out for all the wrong reasons. Homages are one thing, rip-offs quite another, IMHO this moment was definitely that. Shane really, 'cos there could many other ways to have put something memorable up there. Considering CR, her oil-drenched body propped up in shower stall might have had more meaning.

#12 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:29 PM

Well, this afficianado would just prefer it if they came up with something original.

Particularly if they're after the kind of praise Forster sought.

No doubt. It's a valid criticism of the film.

#13 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

I have no problem with the oil scene. It does have some reference to the plot - namely Quantum trying to divert MI6/M into thinking they want oil reserves, when its control of the water supply they are after. It also works well as it ties in with Bond giving Greene the can of oil to drink in the desert, and therefore enhances the emotional ending of the film. Bond gets even for the death of Fields. This just doesn't seem lazy for me, but then I think QoS is one of the best directed Bond films for a while.

#14 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

Yep. And the metaphor of oil being the new 'gold' was a little on the nose, but nonetheless effect (and somehow more chilling, in my mind).

#15 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

I don't think that the oil scene should have been cut out at all. It's a great scene, and a much more effective scene than the on that it is an homage to.

#16 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

Didn't hurt the movie in the slightest for me. Gave Dan an awesome scene to display his abilities. Bond is clearly very shaken, but not at all in a telegraphed, "look at me, I'm emotionally vulnerable" way. And while Dench's M has gotten criticism for constantly chiding Bond since her inception, it really works in this scene for me. No monologues about trust or big pictures, just a deeply cutting statement about Bond's charm. And Bond knows it's ultimately his fault, thus making his final moment with Greene all the more satisfying.

I, for one, also like the icons and formulaic traditions being turned on their head a little, so I appreciated the Golden Girl image made ugly and unglamorous, like death itself. Just worked for me, I suppose.

#17 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:59 PM

I liked the "oil Fields" scene and appreciated the nod to "Goldfinger" and how our society's measure of wealth has shifted since then. I just felt that the editing detracted somewhat. A sustained closeup of Fields (which was obviously there among the footage that was shot), showing how terribly gruesome her death was, would have given the scene more emotional resonance. Especially since Vesper died by drowning, that memory was still a raw wound for Bond. We saw that in Bond's reactions, but a closeup of Fields would have clinched it, IMO.

Edited by byline, 01 January 2010 - 07:05 PM.

#18 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

That entire "golden girl" scene from goldfinger was pointlessly used in QOS. Why was it ever filmed for a rebooted Bond series? What was the reason for it?.Why did we need to be reminded that we were watching a Bond movie?

That scene completely kills the movie, very unoriginal and dour. If there were any way of redoing that scene I would really wish the film makers would maybe for the foreseeabale director's cut bluray or even perhaps just omit it.

What do you think?

I don't think that the scene had ruined the movie. But I am not fond it. I found it a bit irrevelant. Come to think of it, I might as well say the same about the Strawberry Fields character.

#19 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:33 PM

That homage to GF was totally unnecessary. I would agree with that.

#20 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:53 AM

I don't think that the oil scene should have been cut out at all. It's a great scene, and a much more effective scene than the on that it is an homage to.

You're joking, right?

#21 ChrissBond007

ChrissBond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:25 AM

I don't think it should never have been filmed, I think it should've been done better.

I personally like the idea of it, but it didn't have that same ''shocking'' feeling like the golden girl scene from Goldfinger. A closeup to Fields for instance might have made the scene more effective I think.

Edited by ChrissBond007, 02 January 2010 - 01:27 AM.

#22 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:33 AM

Crazy about them in the wrong way. More like mad at them. I don't think most of us really care that much about obvious homages, especially since they don't add anything to the plot or narrative.

The oil scene itself I thought was clever enough, a great moment in the story, visually arresting, and all the while a snide little loaded statement about how our culture has changed since that first iconic moment.

We don't need to be reminded. We just have to turn on the daily news or put QOS into the DVD/blu ray player.

Bond doesn't need snide little loaded statements, especially Forster and Haggfish's kind.

The lack of John Barry's presence alone results in it being an inferior scene. Everything else including the camera-work, with perhaps the exception of the performances, detracts from the scene.

#23 BryanHerbert

BryanHerbert

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:56 AM

You know what really pissed me off about QoS was that they copied alot off of other bond movies. Such as Goldfinger, when the girl was covered in gold paint, and a few other scenes. Idk if that was on purpose or not but i didn't like it.

Edited by BryanHerbert, 02 January 2010 - 01:57 AM.

#24 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:02 AM

You're joking, right?

No, he is not. He is sharing his opinion. I don't share it, but I respect it nevertheless.

#25 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:01 AM

i liked the scene. it didnt spend too much time focusing on her to bring attention to itself as an homage. i mainly love it because of the payoff from the scene at the end with the scene between bond and greene.

#26 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:26 AM

This thread shows precisely why these forums have become such a bore...and why this is only my third (cynical) post since the summer.

That's one post in September...one in November...and now one in January.

BORE!!!

I'll be back when there's some proper news to discuss.

Enjoy wasting your lives on pointless BS babble like this.

#27 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:36 AM

Seriously, Hilde? This was an interesting topic, as the general opinion is clearly not one the original poster shares; I thought that you, of all people, would appreciate that.

#28 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:47 AM

This thread shows precisely why these forums have become such a bore...and why this is only my third (cynical) post since the summer.

That's one post in September...one in November...and now one in January.

BORE!!!

I'll be back when there's some proper news to discuss.

Enjoy wasting your lives on pointless BS babble like this.

Thank you for your thoughtful and as ever pertinent views.

#29 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:04 AM

I loved it. I thought it was a great reference to GF, but (unlike the references in DAD) it still completely fit in with the plot, it wasnt just a pointless bit of fan service. Those not familiar with GF would not have found the scene odd or out of place because it fits perfectly into the context of QoS. It isnt like the scene didnt serve other more important things than referencing GF. It was just a cool little visual nod to GF too.

#30 chriso

chriso

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:51 AM

It's just a useless scene which doesn't fit very well into QOS. Well, it's just a homage and the scene would have been better without oil.