51 replies to this topic

#1 Scamp

Scamp

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:11 AM

Given the recent photos showing Mr Craig wearing one of almost the whole Rolex range and also his numerous quotes regarding making his Bond more like Ian Fleming's Bond are Omega going to supply the watches for Bond 23? And also, do we think that Aston Martin will supply THE CAR? From recollection both the car deal and the watch deal ended with Quantum of Solace. Any thoughts anyone!

#2 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:21 AM

1. Highly confident that we'll see Aston Martin remain.

2. Believe there's a high likelihood of wristwatch change for James Bond following end of the Omega contract.

Unlike the watch, I do not personally believe that an Auston Martin deal precludes concurrent feature of a Bentley. Remember the DB5 appeared along with BMW during the Pierce Brosnan era.

#3 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:38 AM

I do want to see Rolex come back to Bond. I don't regard Omega very highly. For Bond that is.

#4 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:51 AM

Unlike the watch, I do not personally believe that an Aston Martin deal precludes concurrent feature of a Bentley. Remember the DB5 appeared along with BMW during the Pierce Brosnan era.

And indeed Alfa Romeos in QoS.

#5 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:12 PM

I don't think that we have to worry about the car! I believe will stay for a long long time!

As for the watch, I think that Rolex is at the doorstep right now, thing that makes me very happy!

#6 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:50 PM

Rolex won't be returning. Just because Craig likes the brand and the omega contract is up, who's to say the contract with omega won't be renewd? Eon and Omega had a really good relationship and as far as I know, the Rolex company don't hold Bond in any sort of regard.

As for the car, well, dunno. Bond has always driven all sorts. I'd like to see him drive and stick with the db5 at least for Bond 23.

#7 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:03 AM

... as far as I know, the Rolex company don't hold Bond in any sort of regard....

Where did you get this idea? (Serious question.)

#8 Agent Leiter

Agent Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:55 AM

... as far as I know, the Rolex company don't hold Bond in any sort of regard....

Where did you get this idea? (Serious question.)

I'm a little baffled as well... isn't Bond just about the best possible way to promote their watches? Who wouldn't want that? Just about anything Bond uses is bound to become ingrained in the public consciousness.

I prefer the look of a classic Rolex Submariner myself, but certainly haven't any problems with the Omega.

Edited by Agent Leiter, 25 December 2009 - 03:56 AM.

#9 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:14 PM

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I meant that, the Bond films rely heavily on co-promotions and that's a big no-no for the likes of the Rolex brand.

#10 Agent Leiter

Agent Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:22 PM

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I meant that, the Bond films rely heavily on co-promotions and that's a big no-no for the likes of the Rolex brand.

Ah, well in that regard you may have a point!

Depends on how flexible EON is willing to be, I suppose... I don't imagine Rolex would have a problem with Bond wearing one of their watches so long as they are not asked to do a tie in promotion.

I've really come to appreciate the appearance of the classic Rolex Submariner over the Omega (a fine looking watch in its own right, of course), even if it has become a somewhat common look... as I type this, I am wearing an Invicta 8926 on my wrist that looks a great deal like one.

#11 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:47 PM

... Depends on how flexible EON is willing to be, I suppose... I don't imagine Rolex would have a problem with Bond wearing one of their watches so long as they are not asked to do a tie in promotion....

This, I think, hits the nail on the head.

There's been a great deal of misunderstanding perpetuated on the Web from some vocal corners who insist that there came to be some sort of rift between EON and Rolex with Dr. No. And that seems to solely track back to the James Bond Legacy boo, and a brief anecdote attributed to a production designer about Mr. Broccoli having provided his watch for Mr. Connery to wear in that first 007 movie.

In numerous follow-ups I've had directly with John Cork (author who did the research on this point), he's simply amazed at how wrong that this has been gotten. He even doubts that the Broccoli watch was a Submariner.

Subsequently, we know there were Rolex watches acquired for Lazenby, Moore, and Dalton to wear as James Bond. The producers gave at least one of the directors a Rolex as a reward for a job well-done.

All to the point made above, that Rolex is not interested in doing cross-promotions, featuring the James Bond character in advertising, and/or creating special 007 limiteds (as Omega has done, starting in 2002). Not that there's anything sacred about selling dial space, as folks who know Rolex can point to countless examples to the contrary, such as the Domino's Pizza dials.

#12 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:44 AM

Why only mention Rolex as the possible alternative to Omega? Sure, it's a famous quality brand, but by far not the only one. I would personally love Bond to wear a IWC (Ingenieur) or Jaeger-Le-Coultre (Master Compressor or Amvox) watch. These, I think, are much more suited for Bond. Rolex is very fine, but not "selective" enough. I mean, everyone with some euros to spare can buy one, and you can actually see loads of people who actually have one (just like Omega, by the way), when Bond should be about "larger than daily life". Same with the car: we don't want Bond driving a Renault, so why would we want him to wear a nice but trite watch?

I looked at a post in this Forum called "bring the beauty back", and I would say this should not be about just locations: it has also to do with suits, cigars, cars and watches. Bond is escapism, it should not serve as product placement. This is why I would favor a high-class attire: Dunhill suits, Jaeger watch, Montecristo cigars, etc.

By the way, did you know that the Amvox Jaeger-Le-Coultre has a device that, when pressing the glass, actually unlocks your Aston Martin doors? And it is not even a Q-designed gadget, it's for real. That would be just lovely in the next Bond, don't you think ?...

#13 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:15 PM

As a Submariner owner i'd love to see them back.

Rolex seem to be sponsoring things like tennis and Le Mans-type Sportscar racing these days such as this weekend's "Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona" in northern Florida!

B)

#14 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:03 PM

Seiko all the way. Let's bring some Moore into the Craig era? B)

#15 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:08 PM

Seiko?

"Nooooooooo!"

B)

#16 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

Why only mention Rolex as the possible alternative to Omega? Sure, it's a famous quality brand, but by far not the only one. I would personally love Bond to wear a IWC (Ingenieur) or Jaeger-Le-Coultre (Master Compressor or Amvox) watch. These, I think, are much more suited for Bond. Rolex is very fine, but not "selective" enough. I mean, everyone with some euros to spare can buy one, and you can actually see loads of people who actually have one (just like Omega, by the way), when Bond should be about "larger than daily life". Same with the car: we don't want Bond driving a Renault, so why would we want him to wear a nice but trite watch?

I looked at a post in this Forum called "bring the beauty back", and I would say this should not be about just locations: it has also to do with suits, cigars, cars and watches. Bond is escapism, it should not serve as product placement. This is why I would favor a high-class attire: Dunhill suits, Jaeger watch, Montecristo cigars, etc.

By the way, did you know that the Amvox Jaeger-Le-Coultre has a device that, when pressing the glass, actually unlocks your Aston Martin doors? And it is not even a Q-designed gadget, it's for real. That would be just lovely in the next Bond, don't you think ?...

I think that would be great. I like some different suggestions once in a while. Sanchez would say: "You have class." B)

#17 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

I thought about IWC but it doesn't link it to Bond History in anyway.

Tradition ought to count for something.

If you extrapolate your thinking then why not stick Bond in a Bugatti Veyron instead of an Aston...after all, that Bugatti is 6 times the price of the DBS!

#18 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:45 PM

Bentley I can see, all part of the Volkswagen group and all.
Rolex? why would Omega lose this marketing masterpiece.

I saved up for weeks to get my Planet Ocean in 2007. But the Rolex would be out of the price range of mere mortals

#19 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:45 PM

If you extrapolate your thinking then why not stick Bond in a Bugatti Veyron instead of an Aston...after all, that Bugatti is 6 times the price of the DBS!

Yes, but, a Bugatti (and a Lamborghini or Ferrari for tha matter) is not as stylish as an Aston Martin, not in a million years, it's a loud and screaming machine for people who don't know what to do with their money and can't separate style from bragging. If I could get one for free, I'd sell it instantly and buy an Aston, a Bentley or even a Jaguar, Alfa or Lancia from the money. In my opinion that is, of course.

#20 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

Yes, but, a Bugatti (and a Lamborghini or Ferrari for tha matter) is not as stylish as an Aston Martin, not in a million years, [...]

Interesting: looks like you can't have one without the other.
http://www.volkswage..._financial.html
B)

#21 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

Why only mention Rolex as the possible alternative to Omega? Sure, it's a famous quality brand, but by far not the only one. I would personally love Bond to wear a IWC (Ingenieur) or Jaeger-Le-Coultre (Master Compressor or Amvox) watch. These, I think, are much more suited for Bond. Rolex is very fine, but not "selective" enough. I mean, everyone with some euros to spare can buy one, and you can actually see loads of people who actually have one

I am of the same mind on most of this. Rolex is the (too) obvious choice, as are Bentley cars and other such nonsense. What's next? Grey Goose and Cristal champagne bottle service as Bond rolls with the Kardashians? Good lord. Bond's choices should be very distinctive and very British.

Perhaps Omega is a holdover from the Brosnan era and it's time to move on. I don't know which company I would go with, but I'd rather see 007 in functional (operationally useful) Seiko than a blingy jewelry watch from IWC.

#22 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:00 PM

Seiko?

"Nooooooooo!"

B)

I suppose the Octopussy watch would look pretty silly on Craig nowdays. :tdown:
Maybe he should wear a black watch like Sean's in NSNA? Nah.
I like the Omega, but associate those with Brosnan's era much like I associate the Seiko with Moore.
We need a new brand for the future Craig outings.....or maybe go back to the classic Rolex.

#23 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:23 PM

Yes, but, a Bugatti (and a Lamborghini or Ferrari for tha matter) is not as stylish as an Aston Martin, not in a million years, [...]

Interesting: looks like you can't have one without the other.
http://www.volkswage..._financial.html
:tdown:

Looking around on that page I realised, I'd rather have a Škoda Superb then any Lamborghini or Bugatti. :tdown: At least the Superb looks like it was made by humans who know how a car should look like. B)

#24 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:00 PM

I was passed by an exact lookalike for George's Aston DBS today. Same colour, little vents on the C pillars, wire wheels: everything.
Not exactly on-topic, but hey: I wanted to mention it! B)

#25 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:19 PM

Yes, but, a Bugatti (and a Lamborghini or Ferrari for tha matter) is not as stylish as an Aston Martin, not in a million years, it's a loud and screaming machine for people who don't know what to do with their money and can't separate style from bragging. If I could get one for free, I'd sell it instantly and buy an Aston, a Bentley or even a Jaguar, Alfa or Lancia from the money. In my opinion that is, of course.

I agree that the Veyron is ugly...and so too are most Lambos...but Ferrari? Not all Ferraris are ugly.

You're right in that I too would immediately sell my (given for free) Bugatti for a DBS and a Ferrari 458 Italia with cash to spare.

But to get on topic, an IWC to me is just as hideous as that Bugatti.

The Submariner, IMO, is timeless and is a functional Dive watch...and Bond does go snorkling/diving for pleasure/sport...and occassionally is called upon to dive on the job.

One can wear one as easily at the gym as one can with a dinner jacket/black tie...It goes well anywhere.

B)

By the way, who is to replace Omega if Rolex aren't interested? One thing is for certain, the marketing team won't want the price point to be "too high" (IWC) but will, at the same time, make it somewhat "pricey" for Joe Average in order to maintain the aspirational/exclusivity aspect (but not "too" exclusive).

#26 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

Yes, ok, maybe IWC wouldn't fit after all.
But I still think Jaeger-LeCoultre would do. The Master-Compressor-GMT or the Amvox-Alarm-1 are just perfectly suited for Bond, I think.
But, in the end, if they were to decide to go back to Rolex, I really wouldn't mind at all since it's obviously a great brand, with tradition, the Sub' being an all-time classic (but that's actually what bothers me a bit : too obvious and too classic).

As for the car, here's another suggestion : Maserati. Either the Quattroporte for the villain, or the Grancabrio for James. Now, please don't tell me they're blingy jewelry !...

#27 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:32 AM

Does Tom Ford do watches and cars?

Surely Craigy can put a word in for 'em to appear in the next film.

#28 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:05 PM

By the way, who is to replace Omega if Rolex aren't interested? One thing is for certain, the marketing team won't want the price point to be "too high" (IWC) but will, at the same time, make it somewhat "pricey" for Joe Average in order to maintain the aspirational/exclusivity aspect (but not "too" exclusive).

Omega isn't independent any more, but now part of the Swatch Group, having several brands of different price ranges in their portfolio: Omega, Rado, Longines, Breguet, Blancpain, Certina, Mido and a few others. I don't exactly see them easily letting go of one of their best marketing elements. If a change of brand is necessary they could do that inside their own range with Blancpain for example. But overall I think Omega is the most fitting brand of the lot and probably will stay on board for some time (if the ticket isn't too expensive B) ).

#29 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:57 PM

But I still think Jaeger-LeCoultre would do. The Master-Compressor-GMT or the Amvox-Alarm-1 are just perfectly suited for Bond, I think.
But, in the end, if they were to decide to go back to Rolex, I really wouldn't mind at all since it's obviously a great brand, with tradition, the Sub' being an all-time classic (but that's actually what bothers me a bit : too obvious and too classic).

As for the car, here's another suggestion : Maserati. Either the Quattroporte for the villain, or the Grancabrio for James. Now, please don't tell me they're blingy jewelry !...

Maserati?

I don't know...that's just way too Italian for James Bond, imho.

#30 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:34 PM

Maserati?

I don't know...that's just way too Italian for James Bond, imho.

Indeed. That was just me thinking out of the box.

Actually, I would favour the next movies to stick to Jaguar: either for the baddie as previously (the XJ), or for Bond himself (could be the XK).