WHOA!

36 replies to this topic

#31 Sylvia Trench

Sylvia Trench

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:16 AM

Actually - pretty careless of the newspapers. Lazy reporting. Anyone who was there (and I know a couple of people involved in the event) will tell you that Enfield made it quite clear that he was reading an extract from the sequel to The Enemy. What you yanks need to realize is that you cannot trust anything you read in British newspapers. We don't have the same rigorous fact checking as you lot (National Enquirer aside!).

#32 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:12 PM

Actually - pretty careless of the newspapers. Lazy reporting. Anyone who was there (and I know a couple of people involved in the event) will tell you that Enfield made it quite clear that he was reading an extract from the sequel to The Enemy. What you yanks need to realize is that you cannot trust anything you read in British newspapers. We don't have the same rigorous fact checking as you lot (National Enquirer aside!).

I also talked to someone who was there and she says there is NO DOUBT he said he was reading from a YB novel. She even went up and spoke with him afterwards. However, she thinks maybe the confusion was on his end and he only thought he was reading from a YB novel while what he really had were Enemy pages. I did try to contact the reporter who wrote Telegraph story, but I didn't hear back.

Sylvia, if you know people who helped organize the event and they'd like the situation to be clarified, please have them contact me (I'll send my email via PM -- or you can PM me their email and I will contact them). I will happily put the clarification up on my site. It would be great to get to the bottom of this.

#33 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:51 PM

Mystery solved (dang-it).

#34 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:56 PM

Aw, shame... B)

Many thanks for the effort and keeping on the trail of the mystery though.

#35 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:13 PM

Ah, well. It was fun while it lasted.

#36 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:25 AM

Thanks Zen! When the next Young Bond book is released I hope it is set around the next stage of the timeline in Bond's life. I can't remember, was it Fettes he attended following Eon? I would love to read about James's adventures during the war too.

#37 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:44 AM

Thanks Zen! When the next Young Bond book is released I hope it is set around the next stage of the timeline in Bond's life. I can't remember, was it Fettes he attended following Eon? I would love to read about James's adventures during the war too.

Yes, Fettes followed Eton. I would also like that.