36 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:23 PM

Article from The Telegraph, "Pupils book place in national finals" include this little gem. Can it be?

The guest at the final was comedian Harry Enfield, who did a reading from the first page of the new young James Bond book by Charlie Higson, which is not going to be available until 2011.

B)

http://www.northants...onal.5890975.jp

#2 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:27 PM

OMG. Find it hard to believe that IFP allowed this to leak out in this way - but fantastic news, nonetheless!

#3 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:32 PM

Hey, most interesting. I just wonder when Charlie wrote it...?

#4 solace

solace

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:33 PM

Sounds promising Zencat. Well spotted.

#5 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:52 PM

If this is a "leak" then hopefully the new book chronicles Bond's days at Fettes (Collegiate Bond) and/or the Royal Navy (War Bond).

#6 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:58 PM

If someone can manage to get confirmation from IFP then this is surely main page stuff, isn't it?

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:13 PM

You know, the timeline make perfect sense. 2010 is the paperback Dossier and The Enemy 2 and, maybe, the announcement of YB series 2 (also don't forget BRC in the US). Then in 2011 we get The Enemy 3, the new YB book, and if they also release the new book in the US the series syncs back up.

If this is true, I wouldn't expect any official confirmation until well into 2010 (or even early 2011?). I'd think Puffin would want to keep attention focused solely on The Enemy series through the release of book 2.

Man, I hope this is true. Just this morning I was thinking what the heck I was going to do with my website after 2010. Hard to remain excited about YB without the anticipation of a new book. I'm not even sure I want to check this out with IFP/Puffin because I will be bummed if it isn't true. I want to be fueled by the possibility. I'm just curious how and why this came through Harry Enfield?

#8 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:16 PM

Man, I hope this is true. Just this morning I was thinking what the heck I was going to do with my website after 2010. Hard to remain excited about YB without the anticipation of a new book. I'm not even sure I want to check this out with IFP/Puffin because I will be bummed if it isn't true. I'm just curious how and why this came through Harry Enfield?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed! What stuns me is, how come someone can already read the first page of it? I mean, that's a major pr stunt quite early.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

Oh, B)! This gets better. Found another source with an extra nugget of info.

The terrifyingly brainy teams had no such trouble - and for their pains got to hear a sneaky snippet from Charlie Higson’s next Young Bond book, courtesy of his chum Harry Enfield (who then ate it, as befitted a top secret document).

http://www.susieday....-are-all-right/

:tdown:

#10 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:26 PM

I think this really sounds interesting. I could well see IFP making an announcement earlier. If there really is a first page already read aloud in front of an audience it doesn't make much sense keeping clam about it.

#11 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:30 PM

Oh, B)! This gets better. Found another source with an extra nugget of info.

The terrifyingly brainy teams had no such trouble - and for their pains got to hear a sneaky snippet from Charlie Higson’s next Young Bond book, courtesy of his chum Harry Enfield (who then ate it, as befitted a top secret document).

http://www.susieday....-are-all-right/

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

I think this really sounds interesting. I could well see IFP making an announcement earlier. If there really is a first page already read aloud in front of an audience it doesn't make much sense keeping clam about it.

I wonder how "official" this reading was. I think this might have been just Harry deciding to give these kids a thrill.

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:02 PM

Third source has this:

Comedian Harry Enfield addressed all the teams and shared a secret page from Charlie Higson's next novel.

Of course, Charlie's "next novel" is the sequel to The Enemy, so... Hmmm.

#14 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:18 PM

Very interesting.

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:30 PM

Okay, this is weird. This reading happened on Nov 27 and on Nov 27 I posted that I had a dream in which I discovered IFPs plans for a new YB novel. Allowing for the time change, it's possible I was having this dream at the same moment of the reading? And could the "H" be for "Harry"?

If only my psychic Bond powers could be used for good. B)

#16 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:49 PM

Nice find. What sharp little eyes you've got. B)

#17 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:05 AM

Nice find. What sharp little eyes you've got. :tdown:

Wait'll you get to his teeth... B)

#18 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:10 AM

Third source has this:

Comedian Harry Enfield addressed all the teams and shared a secret page from Charlie Higson's next novel.

Of course, Charlie's "next novel" is the sequel to The Enemy, so... Hmmm.

Only on paper, of course.

Okay, this is weird. This reading happened on Nov 27 and on Nov 27 I posted that I had a dream in which I discovered IFPs plans for a new YB novel. Allowing for the time change, it's possible I was having this dream at the same moment of the reading? And could the "H" be for "Harry"?

If only my psychic Bond powers could be used for good. B)

Why would you ever want to use them for good? Villainy is a much more fun lifestyle. We have shiny black cloaks. And warm milk with freshly baked cookies!

#19 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:40 AM

Okay, I've exchanged emails with someone who was there and she says Harry "definitely" said it was from a new Young Bond book. However, she notes what was read was pretty gruesome (which went over very well) and that it was something that could "have come from the new zombie book." So maybe Harry was confused about exactly what he had?

She also said a title was revealed (!), but she couldn't recall what it was.

#20 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:19 AM

Promising news. Young Bond lives!

#21 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:31 AM

Hmm... it all sounds too good to be true. I can't see this being the forum where we find out about a new series of Young Bond novels.

#22 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

Sounds like Enfield probably bull[censored]ting?

Would Enfield take the piss out of Bond fanatics and in front of a bunch of kids?

Perhaps those familiar with his recent style of anarchic comedy can decide?

#23 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:18 AM

Hmm... it all sounds too good to be true. I can't see this being the forum where we find out about a new series of Young Bond novels.

I agree, and yet although it's so out there, it has just enough believable connections that it could be true, and which makes it impossible to completely disregard out of hand. Still, I'll believe it when I see it. Would be nice though. (So would an adult Bond novel. Come on IFP!)

#24 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:02 AM

I'm just curious how and why this came through Harry Enfield?

Enfield and Higson are old colleagues and friends (THE FAST SHOW and many others).

Maybe?

#25 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:08 PM

I'm not even sure I want to check this out with IFP/Puffin because I will be bummed if it isn't true.

Crikey; that seems a bit harsh of them.
Two lands separated by the same language, eh? B)

Anyway; it does sound possible that Enfield might have been joking, I suppose. A friend of mine had a meeting with Higson the other day; I'd probably have asked him if it'd been me! :tdown:

#26 Sylvia Trench

Sylvia Trench

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:50 PM

sorry to rain on anybody's parade but my sources tell me that it want a reading from a new Young Bond book at all, but the sequel to the enemy. I guess because the new series isn't as well known yet some people just assumed... Maybe you'll have to start an 'Enemy' website zencat!

#27 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:53 PM

What sources, Sylvia? You can PM me privately if you like.

#28 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:35 PM

Well, it doesn't look like I'm going to get to the bottom of this beyond what we have. Tried a few fresh lines of inquiry/investigation that didn't pan out. Maybe it was a YB book, maybe it was Enemy 2. I did learn a bit about the content, so we might know more when the next Enemy is released. Case closed -- for now.

#29 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:46 PM

Of course it's frustrating for us fans, but in this case I actually suppose no news about the mysterious reading might indicate good news. At any rate it would fit to IFP's modus operandi of keeping close lipped regarding their further projects. Have to wait and see.

#30 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:11 PM

Pretty careless of Enfield. Unless it was just a joke that wasn't funny.