199 replies to this topic

#61 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:58 PM

Great post here. It would be great for Shirley to do the theme for Bond 23, IMO.

#62 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:59 PM

And although I was critical of AWTD - it is more distinctive IMO.

That's for sure. I just wonder if NGAG could have been more of a 'modern' tune if Arnold had gone on working at it? And, in all fairness, one would also have to consider that AWTD also had some passages 'doing the Bond thing'. In my view these even were the less impressive ones that perhaps better would have been avoided.

#63 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:02 PM

Has any news been posted on when The Performance will be released in the US? The price to import is a bit expensive.....

#64 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:16 PM

The trick is not to make everything "different". If it was so easy then anyone could make a great Bondfilm. The big challenge is of course to find the right balance between nostalgia and a contemporary style. This is true for anything related to Bond. And this is the way Bondfilms (or any other genre) move forward with time.

Well, my idea what movies take Bond forward and away from - as far as possible - Bondian cliche are LTK, CR and QOS.

Hybrid, undecided movies of the Brosnan era are for other tastes.

Interesting that you complain about "undecided" movies at the same time as you avoid my question... you can't decide?

#65 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:36 PM

The trick is not to make everything "different". If it was so easy then anyone could make a great Bondfilm. The big challenge is of course to find the right balance between nostalgia and a contemporary style. This is true for anything related to Bond. And this is the way Bondfilms (or any other genre) move forward with time.

Well, my idea what movies take Bond forward and away from - as far as possible - Bondian cliche are LTK, CR and QOS.

Hybrid, undecided movies of the Brosnan era are for other tastes.

Interesting that you complain about "undecided" movies at the same time as you avoid my question... you can't decide?

Sorry about that. Not deliberate evasion. See below.

AWTD v.s. NGAG - Which one do you prefer?

Ain't really buzzed by either. I am used to AWTD, though I am unfamiliar with the other works of the singers. NGAG would, I guess ordinarily be my prefernce - BUT NOT as a 2000s Bond theme!

#66 Arbogast777

Arbogast777

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:23 PM

First of all: Dame Shirley Bassey = ageless B)

While it's fun to have an old-school Bond song from Shirley Bassey again, I can't help but think that the sound of it just doesn't fit Craig's Bond, and it wouldn't have worked.

I would love for Bassey to do Bond 23 (I actually wanted her for Bond 20 since it was an "anniversary" film) but the sound of the song itself would have to come out of the 60's.

Something a little closer to what I'm thinking is another recent Bassey song, "The Living Tree."

#67 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:36 PM

Living Tree is certainly more interesting than No Good For Goodbye.

However, I want a singer who is more like Nancy Sinatra or Tom Jones, and a song like one of their's, instead of always Shirley Bassey.

#68 mummyboy11

mummyboy11

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

I have to disagree with the majority. (about No Good For Goodbye)

I don't think this would stick in QOS as a theme song. After the most incredible car chase...a slow paced classic-like tune? I mean it's Daniel Craig not Sean Connery. I know Another Way To Die gets a little on the nerves with Alicia's anoying voice with the "yeaah's and woooooouu's" but c'mon it's still a great action theme. We're not living in the 60's anymore where Bond was 'untouchable', he suffers in the skin now. What next, Tina Turner would launch an album next week with a song called You're Simply The Solace and everyone will be calling it to substitute AWTD?

I mean, honestly, no offense guys, but this seems just like those kind of petty discussions when Craig came into the scene that said he couldn't be Bond and all that. Granted QOS is not CR. Granted everyone is obsessed with finding Bourne in every Bond film from now on. But isn't that a little thing called Evolution? I mean Bond is supposed to be a secret agent and in the real world they get their hands dirty. It's not always Martini's and Aston Martin's... And somehow Shirley (no question about her quality) brings us back to the past with his classic (although intemporal) voice and melody.

But that's just me!

PS: Arbogast777 recent post of Living Tree is actually a different sound than No Good For Goodbye. She's more feisty in this one. But then we'll have to deal with another question. As any singer done 2 Bond theme's in the past? Maybe they wanna keep it one performer per movie...

Edited by mummyboy11, 11 November 2009 - 04:42 PM.

#69 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:41 PM

Living Tree is certainly more interesting than No Good For Goodbye.

That it is.

#70 General G.

General G.

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:54 PM

It's good I guess, but can't say I care for it that much. Forgettable, a bit dull, and honestly I'm not even 2 minutes in and it's beginning to annoy me a little bit. Another Way to Die wasn't by any means the best Bond theme, but it was certainly better than this. Now then, time to arm the blast shields...

I agree.

I just don't think a ballad would've felt right coming after that crunching car chase and "It's time to get out."

#71 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:18 PM

I just don't think a ballad would've felt right coming after that crunching car chase and "It's time to get out."

If it was more like "The Living Tree," I could see it working ("The Living Tree" has a bit more propulsion to it).

But back when QUANTUM OF SOLACE was still in development, I always hoped it would have a companion song to "You Know My Name," an intense rock song with a melancholy, bitter edge to contrast to the more triumphant "You Know My Name."

#72 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:26 PM

I love this! It would've suited Quantum of Solace perfectly.

#73 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:30 PM

It's good I guess, but can't say I care for it that much. Forgettable, a bit dull, and honestly I'm not even 2 minutes in and it's beginning to annoy me a little bit. Another Way to Die wasn't by any means the best Bond theme, but it was certainly better than this. Now then, time to arm the blast shields...

I agree.

I think we could've had it lead into a song called "It's time to get out"

It's time to get out
And take a breath of fresh air
No use hiding in that boot
There's no solace in there!

B)

#74 JADSTERSDAD

JADSTERSDAD

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:12 PM

What we haven't discussed is a) whether this was a spec song put forward before the duo knew of the way the film was going and B) whether it might even have been an end title song!

#75 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

Never thought of the possibility of an end credit song...

#76 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

You don't get Bassey to do an "end title theme". She wouldn't get out of the gym in Monaco for that one. Sorry.

I did hear that NO GOOD ABOUT GOODBYE was an initial Arnold attempt at something for DIE ANOTHER DAY but abandoned when other inputs were pursued (not that the source for that was THAT great).

I think if any song on THE PERFORMANCE was the sound of Bond to come it would be Richard Hawley's AFTER THE RAIN which is easily the stand out track on the album. If Bassey does return, I would suggest she may not bring the bombast but the experience. And with that comes a more melacholy, considered tune.

Little things to note too.... Bond trumpeter veteran Derek Watkins(i.e. he has performed on every Bond score) also aids Bassey on THE PERFORMANCE and was a teenager when he gave GOLDFINGER its classic brassy fanfare.

Something to note too on this new Bassey release is that it has garnered attention and praise from beyond the usual Bassey audiences. It has got straight blokes interested for starters...and that is no irrelevant thing when it comes to future Bond crooners.

And Craig's era is easily open to the inadvertent validation of a Bassey track and the fact she would sing for Connery, Moore and potentially Craig may not go unnoticed.

#77 Jose

Jose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:03 PM

I actually prefer AWTD over this mostly because a slow tune clashes with the QoS we got, IMO.

#78 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:08 PM

You don't get Bassey to do an "end title theme". She wouldn't get out of the gym in Monaco for that one. Sorry.

Indeed.

I did hear that NO GOOD ABOUT GOODBYE was an initial Arnold attempt at something for DIE ANOTHER DAY but abandoned when other inputs were pursued.

For DIE ANOTHER DAY? Really?

#79 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

I did hear that NO GOOD ABOUT GOODBYE was an initial Arnold attempt at something for DIE ANOTHER DAY but abandoned when other inputs were pursued.

You're not thinking about "I Will Return", which Arnold and Black were sketching out for Die Another Day's closing titles?

#80 PeterGreenhill

PeterGreenhill

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:20 PM

According to Arnold,no Twitter, he started this song for QOS then stopped when Keys and White came on board. He and Black did not finish the song until they were working on the new Bassey album. Therefore this was NOT written for QOS. It might be similar to what they would have written for the film but it might not be. I've played the song over the QOS credits and IMO it just doesn't work. The traditional style does not work with those titles. It's a better song than Keys and White's effort but it's still not great.

#81 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:29 PM

We've received a bit more clarification from Mr Arnold on this.

NGAG wasnt written as a bond song for QOS,it was written as a song for Dame Shirley to sit in that album with the other material that i had put together.It happens to use the string line from QOS, but of course it isnt what I would have done for QOS had I been writing the song for it.This is obviously a nod to her and my past soundwise and would hope people could enjoy it,or not,for what it is rather than for what it is not

So there we have it.

A lovely song in its own right. I haven't heard anything else from The Performance, but on the basis of this track, I'm tempted to pick it up.

#82 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:32 PM

NGAG wasnt written as a bond song for QOS,it was written as a song for Dame Shirley to sit in that album with the other material that i had put together.It happens to use the string line from QOS, but of course it isnt what I would have done for QOS had I been writing the song for it.This is obviously a nod to her and my past soundwise and would hope people could enjoy it,or not,for what it is rather than for what it is not

So there we have it.

Ah. Okay then.

#83 00Kevin

00Kevin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:36 PM

i wish they had used a song more like this in QoS, the theme they used wasn't that good

#84 mcdonbb

mcdonbb

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:05 PM

I don't love it.

Me neither...well not as a title to QoS...way too down beat. I wouldve been sooo depressed by the end of the titles I wish I wouldve drowned in the elevator shaft.

However I am a hugh proponent of Dame Shirley Bassey doing the next Bond theme.

#85 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

4 points

1. to Dave bond Yes actually hit their comercvial peak in 1983 with their number 1 hit owner of a lonely heart.

Musically I still feel they haven't hit their peak every new album is amazing B)

Oh and in case anyone was wondering Yes are
Chris squire bass and Vocals (nice fellow i talk with him every once and a while0
Alan white Drums
Benoit David Vocals (nice guy I sopke with him once or twice)
Oliver Wakemna Keyboards (Rick wakeman's Son)
Steve Howe Guitar and vocals

they are currently on tour in europe and a new album is expected next year :tdown:

Back on to bond
2. Great to see David Arnold isn't Living in the past. Bond is not about the 1960's despite what some on this board believe.

3. A poll wouldn't work why? Duh Shirley Bassey could read the phone book to John barry playing a couple chords on the piano and instanly people would belive it should be bond 23's title song cause it's Bassey and Barry together again. Actually I think John Barry and David arnold would back me up on this statement

4. EACH BOND IS UNIQUE. Daniel Craig's bond is grittier darker his films are grittier and darker his music should be the same way. Bassy doesn't fit. Mccartney might but Bassey definitly not. But before people call me a bassey basher she should of done the theme to Die another Day as i feel that would of been appropriate and well we all know why....

I will make a compromise though If shirley bassey sang a bond theme in the style of You know my name and another way to die (grittier Rock and roll) written (and guitar preformed by) someone like Eric Clapton, or jimmy Page, or The Edge then I'll say it could work. Bassey With black and Barry No sorry. Not now....

So my question to Bassey fans Can she sing Rock?

IOf so bring on her board for bond 23.

if Not Muse or the Killers have my top slot (i know I'm not gonna get what i love so i at least can get what i like)

#86 mcdonbb

mcdonbb

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:12 PM

So there we have it.

Ah. Okay then.

Oh maybe I should read on before I am sooo anxious to post. Oh well still feel the same way. And I really didnt like AWTD..I tried to..I really did, but kudos to White anyway as a Bond music fan getting his chance.

#87 DCI_director

DCI_director

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

I agree that it doesn't touch Surrender, BUT this is still better than the God awful AWTD and of course Shirley still has it! I can only hope the producers consider her for Bond 23 cause I'm tired of these rock songs for Bond. Bring back the classic trumpet blaring Bond song!

#88 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:37 PM

So there we have it.

I don't buy this at all. For God's sake, it uses the word "solace!" Couple that with the use of the exact same string line it's pretty obvious this was at least to some degree intended as a possible theme song contender.

#89 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:46 PM

So there we have it.

I don't buy this at all. For God's sake, it uses the word "solace!" Couple that with the use of the exact same string line it's pretty obvious this was at least to some degree intended as a possible theme song contender.

Well Yes and No arnold would of used the string melody however the style direction etc would of been completely different. One only need to look at his colaboration with Chris Cornell to realize the sound he wants for craig's bond.

So yes some elemnts of what arnold would do does wind up in No good at goodbyes or goodbye moonraker you like diamonds are forever or Whatever it was called.

But no in no alternate universe would we have gotten that song or even Bassey for that matter. Arnold said it best Bond is about looking foward not about Nostalgia.

#90 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:00 PM

Heard it now (you can hear the whole album here) and this song's a bit dull. As nice as that motif is in Quantum, I got a bit tired of hearing through the whole song.