This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#2371 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:23 PM

I wonder, however, whether someone like Hiddleston would have to do a screen test for Bond.  Since he already has proven himself more than Connery, Lazebby, Moore, Brosnan, Dalton or Craig did before becoming Bond, he could insist on "take me or leave me".

I don't quite agree with this bit.

Even without mentioning how Remington Steele showcased Brosnan's Bond potential, Roger, with The Saint, was basically making James Bond: The Series for a whole seven years in the '60s. Unless, of course, you're referring to cinema, in which case yes Hiddleston has proved himself more.

Edited by DavidJones, 16 May 2016 - 01:25 PM.

#2372 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:57 PM

For me, this is not welcome news at all. It certainly looks like things are moving in the direction of Hiddleston. He's not my favourite to take the role, and I'm hoping Craig hasn't priced himself out of one more. I don't think Hiddleston is the ideal candidate, and fear that BB could have been swept up in the media response to Hiddleston's role in 'The Night Manager' and thus is not looking at things objectively. 

I'd rather Eon take their time in searching for a new actor, if they are having too, than rushing in quickly on the back of recent success of one television drama. 

IMO 'The Night Manager' was okay for a TV drama, but did not compel me to watch it. I did watch it all, but not out of choice. I found Hiddleston wooden at times, and lacking chemistry with most of the women he was suppose to desire! 

To conclude, Eon please take your time. I don't like having to wait a number of years for the next film, but when it comes to continuing the series with a new actor I will wait longer for the reasoned approach. 

#2373 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:02 PM

I wonder, however, whether someone like Hiddleston would have to do a screen test for Bond.  Since he already has proven himself more than Connery, Lazebby, Moore, Brosnan, Dalton or Craig did before becoming Bond, he could insist on "take me or leave me".

I don't quite agree with this bit.

Even without mentioning how Remington Steele showcased Brosnan's Bond potential, Roger, with The Saint, was basically making James Bond: The Series for a whole seven years in the '60s. Unless, of course, you're referring to cinema, in which case yes Hiddleston has proved himself more.

That´s what I meant.  He starred in one of the most successful films of all times already, has gotten serious critical acclaim for his character turns and now is moving on to big budget starring roles.  Nothing the former Bonds could actually bring to the table.  

Which does not mean he´s a better actor, mind you.  It only means: he brings lots of things that studios want and can market.

#2374 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:51 PM

I think there will be some screen test anyway, if only to follow protocol and have something to show studio execs. Actually, there could already have been, perhaps even with other candidates.

#2375 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:04 PM

In times like these the other candidates will probably not be kept secret.  

Hopefully.  I really want to know who will be considered by EON.

#2376 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:44 PM

Hiddleston is a good candidate. A skilled thespian with more name recognition than nobodies like Friend or Turner, but a smaller price tag than someone like Fassbender.

I don't like the thought of Mendes returning.

#2377 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:18 PM

In Britain, at least, Turner's probably better known than Hiddleston is at this point.

#2378 New Digs

New Digs

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:42 PM

Hiddleston is a good candidate. A skilled thespian with more name recognition than nobodies like Friend or Turner, but a smaller price tag than someone like Fassbender.

Me neither. 

I have watched quite a few interviews with Hiddleston recently where he is asked about Bond, and I think he would do it if he was asked.

#2379 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:29 PM

Me neither.

I'm another who doesn't get Mendes. Reviews always mention him when discussing plot, without apparently realising that it's a writer who writes a film, not the director. Mendes, like all directors, get way too much credit.

And I roll my eyes whenever i hear someone mention cinematography in the last couple of films. I swear nobody mentioned it at any other point in the series' history. For me, it all depends on the script and the story.

#2380 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:07 PM

Yes, my thoughts exactly. And his Coriolanus was superb. Here´s a training bit that shows the man´s seriousness and ability to put himself trough a tough regime.

He´s also, apparently, extremely nice and affable to work with. And has a better approach to fan histeria then, say, Craig.

I´d also welcome Turner. But Hiddleston would be a true win for the Bond canon. Also, would he be the best educated Bond actor? From wikipedia: "He was raised in Wimbledon his early years, and later in Oxford. He attended the Dragon preparatory school in Oxford, and, by the time he was 13, he boarded at Eton College (...)" And then, RADA, BBC, HBO, ...

As for Mendes. I hope he comes in as an adviser or sort of producer. Although I think he still can deliver better than SP, or SF for that matter. I still don´t believe I haven´t seen SP since its debut at the cinema, nor have I bought the bloody dvd. And that´s a first for me. But I still don´t feel like watching it. And I praised it at the time. Truth is, I´ve grown tired of the Craig era Bond. I have, and I´m not ashamed to say it. I´m really ready for something new, some other attempt at Fleming´s Bond.

#2381 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:50 AM

Also, would he be the best educated Bond actor?

Certainly the most privileged.

#2382 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:29 AM

For me, this is not welcome news at all. It certainly looks like things are moving in the direction of Hiddleston. He's not my favourite to take the role, and I'm hoping Craig hasn't priced himself out of one more. I don't think Hiddleston is the ideal candidate, and fear that BB could have been swept up in the media response to Hiddleston's role in 'The Night Manager' and thus is not looking at things objectively.

I'd rather Eon take their time in searching for a new actor, if they are having too, than rushing in quickly on the back of recent success of one television drama.

IMO 'The Night Manager' was okay for a TV drama, but did not compel me to watch it. I did watch it all, but not out of choice. I found Hiddleston wooden at times, and lacking chemistry with most of the women he was suppose to desire!

To conclude, Eon please take your time. I don't like having to wait a number of years for the next film, but when it comes to continuing the series with a new actor I will wait longer for the reasoned approach.

Once more, just to set the record straight on this:

For the time being this is still mainly a report about a supposed meeting the source of which is at best unclear. If it happened with Broccoli, Mendes and Hiddleston it's certainly suggestive but still not proof of anything. It's just as possible Mendes and Broccoli also met other actors - or will meet them in the future. The bookie angle is not an indicator of anything; as others have pointed out, betting on various things is constantly under pressure by interested parties. And on Bond betting is no indicator at all, see Owen and others.

By and far the most interesting detail is Mendes name in the story and we will have to see where that goes.

#2383 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:16 AM

And I roll my eyes whenever i hear someone mention cinematography in the last couple of films. I swear nobody mentioned it at any other point in the series' history. For me, it all depends on the script and the story.

Form is content.  The way a story is told in pictures is essential and changes any perception of the story itself.  Educate yourself on cinematography, you will not regret it.

And then watch the early Bond films.  They are all photographed extremely well.

#2384 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:41 AM

And has a better approach to fan histeria then, say, Craig.

This is a very important part of the job. Something Moore enjoyed. Something Craig doesn't like.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

#2385 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:11 AM

To be fair, Connery wasn't too fond of the whole craze either. And since the days of him and Moore things have become quite a bit less savoury; Connery complained about people following him to the rest room. You can bet today they would try to follow even further. This kind of 'popularity' most actors can do without and often this is ŵhat makes them give off rude remarks. Well, the term 'fan' derives from fanatic...

#2386 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:23 AM

To be fair, Connery wasn't too fond of the whole craze either. And since the days of him and Moore things have become quite a bit less savoury; Connery complained about people following him to the rest room. You can bet today they would try to follow even further. This kind of 'popularity' most actors can do without and often this is ŵhat makes them give off rude remarks. Well, the term 'fan' derives from fanatic...

True. Some people welcome it of course, which will be proved in the new episode of "In the Bathroom with the Kardashians". 

#2387 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:40 AM

That's more or less reducing the concept to the core ingredients...

#2388 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:05 AM

Once more, just to set the record straight on this:

For the time being this is still mainly a report about a supposed meeting the source of which is at best unclear. If it happened with Broccoli, Mendes and Hiddleston it's certainly suggestive but still not proof of anything. It's just as possible Mendes and Broccoli also met other actors - or will meet them in the future. The bookie angle is not an indicator of anything; as others have pointed out, betting on various things is constantly under pressure by interested parties. And on Bond betting is no indicator at all, see Owen and others.

By and far the most interesting detail is Mendes name in the story and we will have to see where that goes.

Of course there is no certainty here - but with Hiddleston meeting BB, they are talking Bond. She may have already met with other actors that the press aren't telling us about or interested in. But the fact they have met is disconcerting to me. 

On note regarding Mendes, his time is up. He should move on now and if he wants to add more to Bond in the future come back at a much later date like Campbell with a fresh view. 

#2389 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:40 AM

Who knows what Mendes has in mind.  I would not count him out before knowing what he wants to do with a new actor.

Mind you, at first he thought casting Craig was a mistake.  Sure, he has come around on that.  But I would be interested to see how Mendes would mold a Bond he actually had in mind.

Hiddleston, if chosen, would definitely be a more lighthearted and fun take - and I think the series needs that right now.

#2390 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

If Hiddleston IS our next Bond going by his previous roles I can see him as strange combination of Moore and Lazenby's takes. An easy going, charming and at first glance not really physically intimidating man who, when the situation calls for it, is capable of shedding any one of those perceptions.

The thought of Tom Hiddleston and Ben Whitshaw trading barbs makes me smile admittedly. Plus tumblr will go into meltdown mode LOL!

#2391 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:00 PM

If Hiddleston IS our next Bond going by his previous roles I can see him as strange combination of Moore and Lazenby's takes. An easy going, charming and at first glance not really physically intimidating man who, when the situation calls for it, is capable of shedding any one of those perceptions.

Good point. I'd welcome a charming Bond in that vein. And Tom can absolutely do menacing and intense as good as anyone. I wouldn't be worried about him proving himself in the role, because his track record speaks for itself.

#2392 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:44 PM

Hiddleston would be charming and dangerous in equal measure. I don't want the series to lose its (intermittently) dramatic edge with the next actor. I'm all for more humor, especially seeing how well Marvel mixes it into their stories, but it needs to be more effectively deployed than what we saw in Spectre. They really need to get that balance a bit more right. I do believe Hiddleston is the way forward, however I still want Daniel to go out on a high note. Regardless of who does the next one, it's the writing team that really needs to have their act together more so than anyone else. Here's to hoping they find what they need.

#2393 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:58 PM

Who knows what Mendes has in mind.  I would not count him out before knowing what he wants to do with a new actor.

Mind you, at first he thought casting Craig was a mistake.  Sure, he has come around on that.  But I would be interested to see how Mendes would mold a Bond he actually had in mind.

And therein lies the problem as far as I'm concerned, SAF. Mendes has been tooting his own horn for years about how he was responsible for the death of Dench's M ("you have to make it personal"), choosing Fiennes as her replacement, reintroducing and casting Q and Moneypenny, and insisting that the DB5 match it's Goldfinger counterpart despite the inherent inconsistency (the latter couple of these could be seen as a subtle stripping of the reboot concept entirely). And let's not forget that it was likely Mendes' decision to portray Bond as an "old dog" trying to find his place in the world in Skyfall, despite the fact that he was essentially a relative rookie (at least to the 00-section) in the previous film. And then the brilliant ( :dry: ) decision to reintroduce Blofeld, only this time in the guise of Bond's foster brother and childhood nemesis (after all, "it must resonate on a personal level")-- I feel like Mendes would be tooting his own horn for this as well, had fan response not been so negative. Oh, and his DB5 fetish apparently knows no bounds, resulting in the car's perplexing return in SP, negating the symbolism and impact of its destruction in SF. And enough with the homages-- at this point, they are no longer "fan service," but rather "self service." 

What I'm getting at is this: it seems as if Mendes is solely making big changes to the franchise because he wants to be the one to make them, as if he is desperately trying to "leave his mark" on the franchise. Way too many of his decisions undid so much of the good in CR and QoS (why does it come across as if he completely jettisoned the reboot idea?). And way too many pivotal moments in Bond's life occurred in the span of just two films (being shot by Moneypenny and going off the grid; TWO explosions at the Vauxhall Cross building; death of Dench's M; new M, Q, and Moneypenny; discovering that his enemy this entire time has been his long dead foster brother named Blofeld; potentially leaving the service for the new love of his life). All of this (combined with the incessant homages) reeks of self-aggrandizement. 

Notwithstanding the constant criticism on this site and others, at least Glen did not feel the need to spice things up with every Bond movie in the 80s (granted, Cubby probably wouldn't have let him even had he wanted to), and we got a solid run of films out of him (both Octopussy and The Living Daylights are in my top 5). 

So to respond to your point, Secret Agent Fan, the last thing I want is to see how Mendes would approach his Bond. He has already left his mark on the franchise. Time for some fresh blood in the director's chair. 

Just to be clear: I love Fiennes, Harris, and Whishaw. I hope all three stay on for many years to come. And I also really like both Skyfall and SPECTRE, so please do not take any of my above comments to indicate otherwise-- I was highlighting my legitimate reservations with Mendes, although I concede that there is much to love in both of his films.

I just think that the series needs to move away from some of the baggage which has been plaguing it recently, and I think the best way to do that is to hire a competent director who does not feel the need to leave his mark on the franchise. More emphasis on a strong and engaging plot could do wonders for the franchise. 

#2394 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:41 PM

And therein lies the problem as far as I'm concerned, SAF. Mendes has been tooting his own horn for years about how he was responsible for the death of Dench's M ("you have to make it personal"), choosing Fiennes as her replacement, reintroducing and casting Q and Moneypenny, and insisting that the DB5 match it's Goldfinger counterpart despite the inherent inconsistency (the latter couple of these could be seen as a subtle stripping of the reboot concept entirely). And let's not forget that it was likely Mendes' decision to portray Bond as an "old dog" trying to find his place in the world in Skyfall, despite the fact that he was essentially a relative rookie (at least to the 00-section) in the previous film. And then the brilliant ( :dry: ) decision to reintroduce Blofeld, only this time in the guise of Bond's foster brother and childhood nemesis (after all, "it must resonate on a personal level")-- I feel like Mendes would be tooting his own horn for this as well, had fan response not been so negative. Oh, and his DB5 fetish apparently knows no bounds, resulting in the car's perplexing return in SP, negating the symbolism and impact of its destruction in SF. And enough with the homages-- at this point, they are no longer "fan service," but rather "self service." 

What I'm getting at is this: it seems as if Mendes is solely making big changes to the franchise because he wants to be the one to make them, as if he is desperately trying to "leave his mark" on the franchise. Way too many of his decisions undid so much of the good in CR and QoS (why does it come across as if he completely jettisoned the reboot idea?). And way too many pivotal moments in Bond's life occurred in the span of just two films (being shot by Moneypenny and going off the grid; TWO explosions at the Vauxhall Cross building; death of Dench's M; new M, Q, and Moneypenny; discovering that his enemy this entire time has been his long dead foster brother named Blofeld; potentially leaving the service for the new love of his life). All of this (combined with the incessant homages) reeks of self-aggrandizement. 

Notwithstanding the constant criticism on this site and others, at least Glen did not feel the need to spice things up with every Bond movie in the 80s (granted, Cubby probably wouldn't have let him even had he wanted to), and we got a solid run of films out of him (both Octopussy and The Living Daylights are in my top 5). 

So to respond to your point, Secret Agent Fan, the last thing I want is to see how Mendes would approach his Bond. He has already left his mark on the franchise. Time for some fresh blood in the director's chair. 

Just to be clear: I love Fiennes, Harris, and Whishaw. I hope all three stay on for many years to come. And I also really like both Skyfall and SPECTRE, so please do not take any of my above comments to indicate otherwise-- I was highlighting my legitimate reservations with Mendes, although I concede that there is much to love in both of his films.

I just think that the series needs to move away from some of the baggage which has been plaguing it recently, and I think the best way to do that is to hire a competent director who does not feel the need to leave his mark on the franchise. More emphasis on a strong and engaging plot could do wonders for the franchise. 

Couldn't agree with this more. For me Craig's era (so far...) seems more like 2 differently era's entirely. CR - QoS were strong, strong additions to the franchise and built on the character of Craig's Bond, and then for me SF- SP undid a lot of the good achieved in the previous two films. Not to mention LOTS of contradictions between them as soon as Mendes took over. 

#2395 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:12 PM

Probably my favorite contradiction: When Q says to Bond, "I told you to bring it back in one piece, not to bring back one piece."

Umm, excuse me, but the reason Bond decided to switch to the DB5 in Skyfall was precisely because it was not a company car.

Really, Sam?

#2396 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:18 PM

Precisely. Far too many contradictions, and IMO Mendes undid a lot of what was achieved within CR and QoS. I do like SF and SP, but I like all of the Bond films. I can't help but feel as though Craig's era has been split into two distinctly different parts. 

Edited by Surrie, 17 May 2016 - 02:18 PM.

#2397 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:14 PM

Form is content.  The way a story is told in pictures is essential and changes any perception of the story itself.  Educate yourself on cinematography, you will not regret it.

And then watch the early Bond films.  They are all photographed extremely well.

Absholutely right :)

#2398 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:11 PM

Hiddleston, if chosen, would definitely be a more lighthearted and fun take - and I think the series needs that right now.

Possibly. He can do dark and brooding as well as charming and playful. It's impossible to know how his Bond would play.

#2399 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:51 AM

Probably my favorite contradiction: When Q says to Bond, "I told you to bring it back in one piece, not to bring back one piece."

Umm, excuse me, but the reason Bond decided to switch to the DB5 in Skyfall was precisely because it was not a company car.

Really, Sam?

This happens in DAF however when M tells Bond to get on with his work, when the reason for the break was because his wife had died.

There are loads of contradictions throughout the series, eg Bond has been to Japan (in FRWL) but he hasn't (in YOLT).

#2400 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:21 AM

Really, Sam?

This happens in DAF however when M tells Bond to get on with his work, when the reason for the break was because his wife had died.

There are loads of contradictions throughout the series, eg Bond has been to Japan (in FRWL) but he hasn't (in YOLT).

Yeah, ones like the Japan thing were two passing references three films apart. So I am more forgiving in that case.

The DB5 line in SP felt odd to me because it completely ignored a key plot point from the previous film. 

And I'm not sure the DAF line exactly qualifies as a contradiction.

Although I do agree with your general sentiment-- there are quite a number of contradictions throughout the series.