14 replies to this topic

#1 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:14 AM

I know President George H. W. Bush makes an appearance in Win, Lose or Die but do any of you know whether Gardner mentions or features Presidents Reagan or Clinton in any of his other Bond novels?

Thanks in advance! B)

#2 Bill

Bill

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:03 AM

President Bush is the only President named directly in the Gardner books in the book in which he appears. Along with President Reagan, as explained below, they are quite possibly the only Presidents named directly in the entire literary and cinematic canon. (I could be wrong here, so anyone who wishes to correct me, please do so!)

At the climax of Scorpius, the book that immediately preceded Win, Lose or Die (not counting Gardner's Licence To Kill adaptation) Bond saves the life of the President and British Prime Minister at a ceremony in the Rose Garden. Reagan and Thatcher are not explicitly named in Scorpius, but in Win, Lose or Die, when Bond meets both Margaret Thatcher and George H.W. Bush, it is clear from the dialogue that it was indeed Reagan and Thatcher that Bond saved in Scorpius.

Since Win, Lose or Die no President has been so explicitly named as Bush was in that book. Perhaps to tie the books down to such a specific time period immediately dates them, but that is unfortunate. To feature Bush, Thatcher and Gorbachev the way Gardner did helped to make Win, Lose or Die a very realistic book. It is probably my favorite Gardner novel.

And don't forget that it was President Reagan himself who called James Bond "a symbol of real value to the free world" in the special James Bond: The First 21 Years.

Edited by Bill, 16 August 2009 - 05:04 AM.

#3 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:09 AM

President Bush is the only President named directly in the Gardner books in the book in which he appears. Along with President Reagan, as explained below, they are quite possibly the only Presidents named directly in the entire literary and cinematic canon. (I could be wrong here, so anyone who wishes to correct me, please do so!)

At the climax of Scorpius, the book that immediately preceded Win, Lose or Die (not counting Gardner's Licence To Kill adaptation) Bond saves the life of the President and British Prime Minister at a ceremony in the Rose Garden. Reagan and Thatcher are not explicitly named in Scorpius, but in Win, Lose or Die, when Bond meets both Margaret Thatcher and George H.W. Bush, it is clear from the dialogue that it was indeed Reagan and Thatcher that Bond saved in Scorpius.

Since Win, Lose or Die no President has been so explicitly named as Bush was in that book. Perhaps to tie the books down to such a specific time period immediately dates them, but that is unfortunate. To feature Bush, Thatcher and Gorbachev the way Gardner did helped to make Win, Lose or Die a very realistic book. It is probably my favorite Gardner novel.

And don't forget that it was President Reagan himself who called James Bond "a symbol of real value to the free world" in the special James Bond: The First 21 Years.

Thanks for that informative reply, Bill! B)

It's been awhile (2003, I think) since I've read The Man With The Red Tattoo but doesn't it feature the G8 Summit? Does anybody know if the U.S. president (which would have been George W. Bush at the time) is mentioned in that book?

#4 Bill

Bill

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

As far as I remember, reference is made that the President is at the G8 Summit, but he is not explicitly named as George Bush in The Man with the Red Tattoo.

#5 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:21 PM

Wasn't President Kennedy referenced in You Only Live Twice?

#6 Bill

Bill

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:23 AM

He very well could have been, Mr. Blofeld. As I said, I could be wrong in my statement about Presidents Reagan and George H.W. Bush being the only ones named directly.

#7 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:21 PM

Wasn't President Kennedy referenced in You Only Live Twice?

Kennedy is mentioned in The Spy Who Loved Me. For sure.

#8 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:26 AM

I seem to remember that a couple of characters in Gardner's COLD go by the codenames Bill and Hillary. Even if half of the book is set before they became widely known.

If I recall rightly. Years since I read it.

#9 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:27 AM

You recall right Jim. That portion of the book takes place in 1990. Clinton didn't run for president until 1992. Nevertheless, it's still a fun little nod in the story.

#10 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:19 AM

I'm currently reading Role Of Honour and Bond and the villains talk about the President of the United States being out of the country in chapter 16. They don't specifically use Reagan's name though.

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:39 AM

Wasn't he in Scorpius (or at least mentioned)? I think he's the target of Scorpius' assassins in the end.

EDIT:

Ah, there's the answer. Posted before I read that.

#12 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:58 AM

Not directly related but Castro is mentioned by name or refereed to as "That man in Havana" in both Doctor No and Thunderball.

#13 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:14 AM

Not directly related but Castro is mentioned by name or refereed to as "That man in Havana" in both Doctor No and Thunderball.

And also in the novel "You Only Live Twice", when Blofeld mentions the Cuban revolutionary as justification for SPECTRE's Plan Omega - the hijack of the RAF Vindicator bomber and its nuclear cargo. Blofeld claimed his plot was a warning to the world of what might happen if such nuclear weapons fell into the wrong hands - and cites Castro as an example.

#14 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

From Chapter 3 in No Deals, Mr. Bond...
Heather Dare: Oh, we decided a long time ago that it would be best to hide in the open-Ashford Castle, County Mayo. A grand hotel–the place where President Reagan stayed.

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:43 PM

Wasn't he in Scorpius (or at least mentioned)? I think he's the target of Scorpius' assassins in the end.

EDIT:

Ah, there's the answer. Posted before I read that.

Just came on that passage. Page 233 in U.S. edition.