6 replies to this topic

#1 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:44 AM

Out of sheer boredom today I took to re-reading Devil May Care. I daresay I'm finding it much more enjoyable than on first reading. I still am finding it be a rather dry work, as if it's a work written for work's sake rather than genuine writing. But! it is growing on me. And anyway I've found myself to be very guilty of bashing Devil May Care. Now okay, it's still not the best continuation novel I've read (which is still a small number), but, like Brosnan, it's going up a bit. And a lot of people are very guilty of bashing along with me. So, also out of sheer boredom, I figured "Why not make a thread to discuss the good things about Devil May Care?" Maybe it doesn't warrant it's own thread. In such case feel free to move this, staff people. But I figure why not give it a shot, eh? What do you like about Devil May Care?

#2 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:58 AM

I enjoyed the return of Felix Leiter despite the fact that Faulks mucked up a few facts regarding his maiming. Here's an excerpt from 00Twelve's review of Devil May Care, which was originally published at FelixLeiter.com:
"While the characterization was done respectfully and brought back warm memories of Fleming’s lanky Texan, the details regarding Leiter’s maiming in Live and Let Die were completely wrong (I assume Faulks felt the need to recall these details for the benefit of readers who had never read Fleming). First, he said it was a hammerhead that maimed him. Fleming never alluded to the possibility of it having been a hammerhead, and even suggested that it might be a much more deadly species (EON Productions’ Licence To Kill conjectures a Great White shark). Second, Faulks says that it was the right arm and leg. With all due respect to Mr. Faulks, this is simply bad research. Fleming clearly stated in Diamonds Are Forever that it was the right arm and left leg. Third, Faulks gives the location as having been Miami. This isn’t even close. It had been in St. Petersburg, which is nowhere near Miami by any estimation. I was shocked to see such obvious discrepancies here, especially because this was intended to be the definitive continuation novel, set specifically in Fleming’s universe and told through his own voice."

#3 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:45 AM

I find the book overall okay (but clearly in the bottom half of the series), but it has major problems with it of which I gripe about--much like EON's Quantum Of Solace, actually. B)

But to answer this thread, I'll name three good points off the top of my head:

1. Darius Alizadeh -- A great ally in the Darko Kerim Bey tradition, a well-sketched out character. You can't help but love the guy.

2. Iran -- It was great idea by Sebastian Faulks to put James Bond in a new location, and for many Westerners like me who weren't even born when Devil May Care was set, it definitely seemed exotic.

3. The ekranoplan -- A terrific Bondian vehicle that's both rare, exotic, and larger than life. I'd never even heard of one, much less seen one, before DMC came out. It's just a shame that Bond's climactic battle wasn't on it in the story.

#4 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:04 AM

I enjoyed the whole Tennis scene.

Darius Alizadeh was a good character I agree Double-Oh Agent.

EDIT: I also enjoyed Mathis being present!

Edited by DAN LIGHTER, 13 August 2009 - 12:51 PM.

#5 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:26 AM

I loved the opening chapter. Great, mood-setting stuff.

The ekranoplan was a terrific vehicle, but sadly underused.

Persia might be up there with the best of Fleming's locations.

Errrmm.. and that's it for me.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:06 PM

Persia, ekranoplan, tennis match, monkey paw, Paradise Club, crossing Russia, paddle boat, period setting, drug theme, speedy narrative flow...there's a lot I like about Devil May Care. B)

#7 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:08 PM

I have to say I'm a bit surprised main de singe isn't a real disorder. Usually if a disease as outlandish as that crops up in something, it's very much real, if little known.