91 replies to this topic

#31 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

It's sad when it comes a point when any fan or journalist hypotetic script idea about the next bond, is more exciting than anything any of the overpaid (swindlers) Bond writers will come up with.

Yes let Bigelow direct !

#32 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:27 PM

It's sad when it comes a point when any fan or journalist hypotetic script idea about the next bond, is more exciting than anything any of the overpaid (swindlers) Bond writers will come up with.

Yes let Bigelow direct !

bond having a long lost brother is exciting? ok To me it sounds like a lame move that Really has no business in the franchise but meh that is me.

As for Bigelow She has a few project up and coming whick makes this a moot point.

#33 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:46 PM

Why not Kathryn Bigelow? She's not the only female director who has done action.

#34 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:07 PM

There's an awesome scene in Point Break where Johnny Utah (whoa!) chases Bodhi (whoa again!) across a suburban neighborhood, going through yards, houses, over fences and such, incorporating handheld camera shots that you can actually follow (amazing concept, I know), this was before anyone else was really doing that kind of thing.

So yes, I'd be all in favor of her directing. I don't think its that big a deal, I mean we've already had at least one homosexual director, and one transvestite, so is having a woman on board really more groundbreaking?

Anyway the Hurt Locker cast member I'd prefer to see in 23 is Guy Pearce, easily the most underrated man working in film today. Ralph Fiennes has become a bit too rent-a-villain lately.

#35 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:32 PM

Bigelow is certainly the most interesting name suggested so far. I don't have any problem with her directing.

#36 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:43 PM

There's an awesome scene in Point Break where Johnny Utah (whoa!) chases Bodhi (whoa again!) across a suburban neighborhood, going through yards, houses, over fences and such, incorporating handheld camera shots that you can actually follow (amazing concept, I know), this was before anyone else was really doing that kind of thing.

So yes, I'd be all in favor of her directing. I don't think its that big a deal, I mean we've already had at least one homosexual director, and one transvestite, so is having a woman on board really more groundbreaking?

Anyway the Hurt Locker cast member I'd prefer to see in 23 is Guy Pearce, easily the most underrated man working in film today. Ralph Fiennes has become a bit too rent-a-villain lately.

Which bond director is homosexual?

#37 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:51 PM

Which bond director is homosexual?

Peter Hunt (do I need to throw in an "allegedly"...?)

#38 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:10 AM

Based on the chances Eon has taken in recent years, I don't see how it could hurt to sign up Bigelow to direct the next film. Would it really be any worse than signing up somebody from within Eon already (John Glen), a small-timer like a Roger Spottiswoode (although I like TND), somebody whose seen better days like Michael Apted or an up-and-comer type like Lee Tamahori?

Although it seems he's polarized the fan base with QoS, taking the chance on a Marc Forster was a sign Eon was steering away from safe territory into something that may or may not have worked, as in Cubby's time. In my view, it did.

At least by hiring a woman, people who want to make the automatic Bourne comparisons will have one less reason to do so.

#39 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:50 AM

A woman produces the series currently. What difference does it make if a woman directs aside from you being a moron?

Look, I'm as open-minded and progressive as the next person, but women have smaller brains, and therefore they don't have the capacity to be as good a director as a man most of the time.

You're kidding, aren't you? I mean, it's common knowledge that our greater cerebral matter mainly stems from the fact that us men generally have a tendency to regard our testicles as outsourced brain material, responsible for the major part of our everyday decision making. I can see absolutely no reason why a woman shouldn't be able to do with her brains what we can only achieve with balls. [sarcasm off]

#40 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

A woman produces the series currently. What difference does it make if a woman directs aside from you being a moron?

B)
I knew some hypersensitive, politically correct wanker would say something about that post. I didnt say I'd have a problem with it, I said Id have mixed feelings. Yes, your right, a woman does produce. Meaning that with a female director (especially one with such a shockingly terrible resume), it would almost be an all female production with the exception of MW. And personally Im not sure if thats the greatest way to make a James Bond movie.

#41 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:16 AM

This topic has highlighted some really nasty prejudices amongst certain people on these boards. Isn't it about time a moderator stepped in. Sad.

#42 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:44 AM

Look, I'm as open-minded and progressive as the next person, but women have smaller brains, and therefore they don't have the capacity to be as good a director as a man most of the time. I still think it would be a good idea to give a dame a shot at directing the next Bond movie, but it has to be someone that won't try to castrate 007, pair him up with a fat chick, or try and denounce the United States or the British empire (like, say, Kimberly Pierce for example). Love Bond for who he is (British, white, male, heterosexual) or leave him.

I do hope this is from the box marked "wind up".

I personally think the laziness of the feedback here is not so much to do with female directors but more to do with lazy journalism which is latching the Bond Director rumour onto anyone that Empire magazine has been surprised by cinematically in the last few months.

Terry Gilliam is about to launch a career best comeback. Shall we rumour him too? Or perhaps Wes Anderson on the back of his new film - which is based on a Roald Dahl book and he wrote YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE so obviously Anderson will be directing the next Bond film.

These quiet periods are very telling when it comes to the validity of some film sites and certainly some Bond fans. Has anyone actually stopped to think if Bigelow would be appropriate to direct a Bond film? What she has between her legs sort of has nothing to do with it, does it not?

#43 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

What depresses me is that whenever the topic of a female director for Bond comes up, Kathryn Bigelow is the only name fans mention.

I think it's more than possible that Eon will some day soon hire a woman to direct 007, but she won't be Bigelow. Newsflash: there are other female directors out there, some of whom (unlike Bigelow) have CVs that chime very nicely with what Eon tends to look for in a director.

And, no, Bigelow shouldn't direct BOND 23. She should direct the long-in-development hell POINT BREAK sequel, which a few months ago was rumoured to be titled POINT BREAK: INDO, with Jan De Bont directing.

#44 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:21 AM

but women have smaller brains, and therefore they don't have the capacity to be as good a director as a man most of the time.

Relax! We're on the 21st century! Everybody is equal nowadays!

Apart from the sex-based discriminations now, I think that a woman may soften Bond a little bit on his attitude to treat women like shirts(dump one and find another). I think that a good woman director is equal and can do her job as good as a man. My only hesitation is for what I wrote above.

#45 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:09 PM

Has anyone actually stopped to think if Bigelow would be appropriate to direct a Bond film? What she has between her legs sort of has nothing to do with it, does it not?

Ok, seconded. So what are the actual facts about Bigelow? Regarding her professional life? She's one of the few women directing (but not exclusively) 'mainstream-action', to use the broadest possible term. And she is reasonably successful in her job, but not as much so that one would have to count her out a la Scorsese, De Palma or one of the other usual suspects. Most of her films were typical summer cinema material, but skipped the blockbuster territory. Right at the moment she's regarded as 'hip' because 'The Hurt Locker' seems to be a success. I'm told her camera work is considered as top level and she often uses subjective point of views. I'm not entitled to a personal judgement on her films as I've only seen 'Blue Steel' and 'Wild Palms', hardly a representative overview.

I don't know much more about her, so I wonder if these few scarps count her in or out for the job (should she ever wish to do it, that is; not every director is hot to do Bond)?

Pro: she's an experienced professional, obviously delivering what producers want from her. I wonder a bit about the gap between 'K-19' (2002) and 'The Hurt Locker' (2008), but the fact that she's trusted to tackle a difficult theme that's frankly considered a box office bomb guarantee would seem to indicate she's seen as highly accomplished director who knows her way in the industry. Also pro: while labeled 'action' she has also done other themes and even the genre films aren't a senseless string of explosions and shootouts. There's 'action' and there's 'suspense' and she would seem able to handle both rather well.

Cons: she's hip at the moment and that may mean perhaps a little too hip for EON. When they announced Forster, he was hip too. But when EON had eyed him 'The Kite Runner' hadn't been released yet.
Another con: she's perceived as very genre-related; the label 'female-action-director' may be the biggest hindrance. EON is trying to avoid most of that blatant action genre mannerism, trying to approach it's films from previously unsuspected angles. If that still holds true, then Bigelow doesn't really fit the mould.
Minor con: she may be already into her next project. But I don't really think that would be so much of a hurdle. If EON does really want her (or any other director, for that matter) then they should be able to find way to fit her into their schedule, if not for the next film, then some time in the future.

#46 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:33 PM

What depresses me is that whenever the topic of a female director for Bond comes up, Kathryn Bigelow is the only name fans mention.

I think it's more than possible that Eon will some day soon hire a woman to direct 007, but she won't be Bigelow. Newsflash: there are other female directors out there, some of whom (unlike Bigelow) have CVs that chime very nicely with what Eon tends to look for in a director.

And, no, Bigelow shouldn't direct BOND 23. She should direct the long-in-development hell POINT BREAK sequel, which a few months ago was rumoured to be titled POINT BREAK: INDO, with Jan De Bont directing.

Loomis, which female directors would be your choice? I actually have trouble to think of names that would be interested in Bond right now, apart from Sally Potter perhaps, or Hettie MacDonald. Or Mary Harron, maybe.

#47 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

Loomis, which female directors would be your choice? I actually have trouble to think of names that would be interested in Bond right now, apart from Sally Potter perhaps, or Hettie MacDonald. Or Mary Harron, maybe.

Well, I've obviously no idea whether they'd be interested in Bond (then again, we've no idea whether most male directors would be interested in Bond, either), but Agnieszka Holland and Mira Nair would be at the top of my list. They both have long, varied and fascinating CVs, and have had a lot of critical acclaim without ever becoming household names, and their work across a range of genres shows they can handle action. If they were male, CBn would have been discussing them as potential Bond directors for years.

#48 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

The in-breeding crowd comprises a minority of ticket-buyers, no matter how much of a majority it may be in your red neck of the woods, Gravity! B)

#49 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

B)
I knew some hypersensitive, politically correct wanker would say something about that post. I didnt say I'd have a problem with it, I said Id have mixed feelings. Yes, your right, a woman does produce. Meaning that with a female director (especially one with such a shockingly terrible resume), it would almost be an all female production with the exception of MW. And personally Im not sure if thats the greatest way to make a James Bond movie.

I'll let the 'wanker' jibe slide as I called you a moron after all. But quite frankly calling me PC because I find, in 2009, the notion that some people would have 'mixed feelings' about a woman directing a Bond film extremely comical and worthy of a hundred facepalm emoticons. Bigelow,imo, has directed better action films than most of her male counterparts who have usually suceeded, box office wise, more than she has because they have had the right studio, producers, franchise (Michael Bay basically)at their disposal. The thematic makeup of the character and the series shouldn't prohibit a woman from directing so any concern that it could end up as an 'all-woman production' seriously makes no sense whatever.

Goodness knows what you'd say if they had hired a female writer (or do in the future).

#50 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:35 PM

You're kidding, aren't you?

Where I come from in a the United States is still very shocking to see the womans driving a car, or voting, or saying no to sexy times with her brother. I a laugh every time I see the Judi Dench on screen pretending to be in charge of 007. No to womans directing Bond film! No, no, no! B)

Maybe its time you joined the 21st Century Gravity :tdown:
A female director might just be what this franchise needs. We've had 22 Bond films with varying degrees of success directed by men. Maybe a woman's take might give us a new insight into Bond.

#51 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:50 PM

Well, I've obviously no idea whether they'd be interested in Bond (then again, we've no idea whether most male directors would be interested in Bond, either), but Agnieszka Holland and Mira Nair would be at the top of my list. They both have long, varied and fascinating CVs, and have had a lot of critical acclaim without ever becoming household names, and their work across a range of genres shows they can handle action. If they were male, CBn would have been discussing them as potential Bond directors for years.

Nair, of course! Completely escaped me at the moment. Yes, definitely a realistic choice (interest assumed). Holland I don't know at all but her filmography is likewise impressive as Nair's. And both have escaped the trap of being labeled by a single genre, which I take to be a virtue EON might value highly. By and large I'd regard those two as a more likely choice than Bigelow would be. Sooner or later there will be a female director and I think those two may actually be on a shortlist for that occasion.

#52 Double-O-Nine

Double-O-Nine

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

"OK, we never had a woman directing a Bond - so lets get one now..."

She shouldn't be excluded from directing a Bond movie just because she is a woman, obviously. But don't give her the job just for that reason, please.

Get the best director possible, no matter the gender.

I agree.

#53 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:04 PM

"OK, we never had a woman directing a Bond - so lets get one now..."

She shouldn't be excluded from directing a Bond movie just because she is a woman, obviously. But don't give her the job just for that reason, please.

Get the best director possible, no matter the gender.

I agree.

I agree as well

#54 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:27 PM

I guess the more conservative Bond fanboys must've been up in arms when Johanna Harwood was hired as a writer on DR. NO.

(BTW, I remember once reading a feminist article that tried to give Harwood all the credit for DR. NO and by extension the entire Bond phenomenon. I don't have a link for it, and I forget which site it was on or who wrote it, but the thrust of it was that we actually have a woman to thank for 007 as an icon of popular culture.)

#55 Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:47 PM

I'd be OK with a woman directing Bond. That said, Ms Bigelow SHOULD NOT direct a Bond film because:
a, she's American.
b, she's a mediocre director at best.

#56 bribond

bribond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:20 AM

Could care less if she's a woman. She is a good action director who also has a sense of narrative. Her films have memorable three dimensional characters and are tightly edited. She would be a great choice.

#57 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:11 PM

a, she's American.

What's wrong with that? Are British directors the best in the planet?

#58 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

a, she's American.

What's wrong with that? Are British directors the best in the planet?

Sadly according to many on this board anything remotly american in the bond franchise is horible.

Ironic as 007 has always been produced by at least 1 american.

#59 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:44 PM

Quantumofsolace007 wrote:

Sadly according to many on this board anything remotly american in the bond franchise is horible.

Ironic as 007 has always been produced by at least 1 american.

And has been written by Americans....co-starring Americans....*FINANCED* by American studios and banks...and supported by American audiences.

The prohibition against non-Commonwealth directors has been a form of creative apartheid, and it needs to stop. Barbara is a better producer than that.

I guess the more conservative Bond fanboys must've been up in arms when Johanna Harwood was hired as a writer on DR. NO.

(BTW, I remember once reading a feminist article that tried to give Harwood all the credit for DR. NO and by extension the entire Bond phenomenon. I don't have a link for it, and I forget which site it was on or who wrote it, but the thrust of it was that we actually have a woman to thank for 007 as an icon of popular culture.)

Hmmm...And I thought it was Kevin McClory we had to thank for the pop culture icon that 007 became.

I beleive we are actually agreeing for once on this board. Champaign and caviar for everyone lol.

My Point I loved Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace. I want bond 23 to be the best bond 23 ever. So if there is a great locations that is in america Use it if there is a great american actress that fits the part cast her. If there is a great non commonwealth director who can tell the story of bond 23 amazingly well with his camera angles etc GET HIM OR HER.

I sadly feel some on this board would rather a mediocre bond film With lots of European actors actress director and locations than an amazing bond film the utlizes the best talent the world (america is apart of the world remeber) has to offer.

Europe is great but we've seen a lot of it the last 2 films Asia is a great contient but nearly all of the brosnan bond films utlized an asian location (yes some would argue it wasn't done as well as it should of been)

America Hasn't been properly utlized since the Dalton Era, Austrilia and Canada Have never been used period and Africa ia contient waiting to be used.

I just feel diversity is the spice of life Let's have bond diversify a bit.

#60 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:47 PM

My Point I loved Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace. I want bond 23 to be the best bond 23 ever.

Well you're in luck, 'cause there'll only be one.