• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:49 AM

Now on the CBn main page...

Posted Image
Blog says The Hurt Locker director should helm Daniel Craig's next 007 outing

http://www.empireonl...Post.asp?id=655

An interesting article on empireonline.com about a woman directing a Bond film. Im up for that, there is no reason why they shouldn't. And after Kathryn Bigelow's critically acclaimed war film The Hurt Locker, and rumours that Bond could be heading back to Afghanistan, she looks like the obvious choice.
Thoughts?

#2 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:35 AM

Will the people at Empire ever make up their minds?

It's a monthly, isn't it? Oh, there will be a hell of a lot would/should/could Bond directors in the next few months...

On Bigelow: I've only seen 'Blue Steel' by her up to now. And I wasn't very impressed by that, though I think it was mostly the story I didn't like. 'The Hurt Locker' currently is praised as a hell of a good film and I will give it a try. But I'm really sceptical suggesting a director just because he/she has worked a certain theme and/or region before that's rumoured Bond may visit again. For all we know, it may be a white elephant, or Afghanistan may only be mentioned in a sentence or two.

In general a woman as director for Bond? Of course, has to happen sooner or later. Just make it a good director, I don't care about the chromosomes.

#3 Whalltt

Whalltt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:01 PM

"OK, we never had a woman directing a Bond - so lets get one now..."

She shouldn't be excluded from directing a Bond movie just because she is a woman, obviously. But don't give her the job just for that reason, please.

Get the best director possible, no matter the gender.

#4 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

OK so a new director "rumour" to discuss. Empire Seems to be jonesing for bond 23 news we all are so Empire here is a better idea Scheduale an Interview with either the prodcuers of bond 23 the writers or any of the known (daniel Craig Dame Judie Dench) or possible (mr white or guy haines) Cast and discuss with them bond 23. I think then we'll have something to discuss rather then have Empire turn into the extremly Poor Maxim. Which I remeber reading Maxim's "way to save 007" back in 2004 and I put down the magazine in disgust about halway though reading it the idea of bond having a half brother annoys me just as much as maxim's James bond is a code name theory.

As for this one I know Less about her then Joe Wrtight I have a vague recollection of the Soloist well at least the trailers for the soloist so I have a small window but at least a window of knowlege about Mr Wright Kathryn I have no clue about. Not to say I wouldn't support her I'm just saying i don't know her.

#5 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:37 PM

The point is moot anyway, she won't be directing Bond 23 because she is a woman and is less talented than male directors in general B)
hahaha nah she can't direct it because she is now signed to direct Triple Frontier. So we continue to wait for news of a director...anyone know roughly when we'll know who WILL be directing Bond 23?

#6 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:48 PM

The point is moot anyway, she won't be directing Bond 23 because she is a woman and is less talented than male directors in general B)
hahaha nah she can't direct it because she is now signed to direct Triple Frontier. So we continue to wait for news of a director...anyone know roughly when we'll know who WILL be directing Bond 23?

Well that all depends when the first draft is done with the addion of Peter Morgan I'd likely say writing is going on now based probably on a treatment or general idea which was wrtten earlier this year.

I'm basing this on the idea they Choose Peter Morgan to replace Haggis for a reason Meaning they Probably felt his experience would fit the general storyline better then say Paul Haggis or and other writer/polisher.

I'd argue any time between September of this year and March of next year seems likely with Locations and cast following soon after. The title well your guess is as good as mine they can release it tommorow or a week before the teaser trailer is released, and as for the artist Don't expect anything concrete till a month after filming is completed. Of course Since i know people who know people in my favourite band I'm going to persuade them to persuade the band to toss their hat in the ring much to the annoyance ofv everyone here. (I love Yes I love James bond give me one good reason I can't Combine the two seriously)

And that concludes our lesson on How EON will Conduct business for bond 23. Up next Bond 24 Can it possibly be done in the year 2012 lol

Like I said the closer we get to 2010 the more likely rumour and concrete news will begin appearing. I know I'm as impatient as everyone else but relax Daniel Craig will Return as James bond 007 soon. and that is hopefully enough to make everyone smile :tdown:

#7 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:02 PM

If Barbara hires a female director, Daniel better get used to the idea of putting back on the little swim trunks B)

#8 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:30 PM

If Barbara hires a female director, Daniel better get used to the idea of putting back on the little swim trunks B)

Actually, I think chances are he'd have to put them off, solely for reasons of plot, of course. These modern scripts can be so demanding...

#9 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:56 PM

The defense presents: Near Dark

The prosecution presents: K19 The Widow Maker

(I don't think she's right for Bond, but i'd take the ex-Mrs James Cameron any day over Joe Wright)

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 11 August 2009 - 05:00 PM.

#10 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:09 PM

No

#11 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:34 PM

We'll get a woman as a director when Seagal will take the part. Guess when!

#12 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:46 PM

If Barbara hires a female director, Daniel better get used to the idea of putting back on the little swim trunks :tdown:

Why?
Because all women must only have one thing on their mind when men are involved?
B)

No

Boo-urns!

#13 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

If Barbara hires a female director, Daniel better get used to the idea of putting back on the little swim trunks :tdown:

Why?
Because all women must only have one thing on their mind when men are involved?
B)

No, I suppose because the majority of women rather prefers to look at a defined and groomed male body than at a flabby, pale and unkempt specimen. Not necessarily for sexual reasons, although they certainly wouldn't hurt, but as an esthetic value in itself.

Actually, even I prefer doing so, and, to all intents and purposes, I qualify as a heterosexual male myself. But granted, I may be extrapolating here and the majority of male and female population may in reality prefer the shabby variant.

But somehow I doubt it.

#14 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:09 PM

How about we just get a women who's not interested in looking at the men on set & just worry about directing the cast in general?

#15 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:28 PM

How about we just get a women who's not interested in looking at the men on set & just worry about directing the cast in general?

Absolutely ok with me. As long as she's doing a good job directing she needn't be interested to look at Craig's physique. To tell the truth, that's what I would prefer.

#16 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

Absolutely!

As long as she keeps in mind that half the audience is made of females interested in looking at beautiful males... not to mention the male part of the audience... B)

#17 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

I think you are taking a remark meant as a joke a little too seriously. Chill out.

#18 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:33 PM

No

B)

How many of her films have you seen?

"The Hurt Locker" was bloody terrific and I think she's more than capable of directing a great Bond film.

#19 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:51 AM

I found THE HURT LOCKER a snooze, so I'm not exactly clamoring for Bigelow to tackle Bond.

#20 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:46 AM

Posted Image

#21 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:02 AM

Posted Image

Ver Cool Qwerty. Finnaly Nice to see some bond 23 news on the main page B)

#22 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:10 AM

The only film of Bigelow's that I have seen was K-19. I tried to watch the movie 3 times and finally just gave up. It didn't hold my interest for some reason.

It would be nice to hear some official Bond 23 news rather than rumors.

Hopefully we will hear some official news on the new film soon.

#23 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:18 AM

Saw K-19 in theaters way back when and loved it. Saw it again a few years later and it was a different story... Bottom line, no thanks.

#24 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:39 AM

No

B)

How many of her films have you seen?

"The Hurt Locker" was bloody terrific and I think she's more than capable of directing a great Bond film.

I'm sure she's great, but no, there are many more gifted directors out there. and yes, I've seen all her films, including The Hurt Locker and as good as it was, still no.

#25 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:46 AM

Frankly I'd rather avoid all the inevitable hype in the media about a woman directing Bond. It was bad enough when a woman was hired as M. And to be honest, I'd have mixed feelings about a woman taking the helm of a movie about such a famous chauvinist womaniser in what is really the ultimate mans movie series.

#26 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:01 PM

Magazines are as in the dark right now about Bond 23 director as anyone.

Empire goes on about Raphe Feinnes...but don't you need a script first in order to cast?

It's all fan-boy spec.

Regardless, it's exciting times ahead becasue we are due for a director announcement within the next few weeks if Bond 23 is to be a late '10 release.

#27 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:10 PM

Frankly I'd rather avoid all the inevitable hype in the media about a woman directing Bond. It was bad enough when a woman was hired as M. And to be honest, I'd have mixed feelings about a woman taking the helm of a movie about such a famous chauvinist womaniser in what is really the ultimate mans movie series.

A woman produces the series currently. What difference does it make if a woman directs aside from you being a moron?

#28 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:13 PM

A woman produces the series currently. What difference does it make if a woman directs aside from you being a moron?

Well there is also a man on the production side. Not as if old Babs is the only one producing.

#29 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:25 PM

Just for PR's sake I think would be a huge mistake. In the end, simple PR is a relatively short suit. A female director would be stuff for a day's headlines, two at the most. Not more, not any longer. And the work still has to walk on its own legs, show its quality on the screen. So priority should be to get a decent director, no matter what the gender. If that happens to be a female, so all the better. But it shouldn't (and won't I think) be just a question to deliver stuff for 'FEMALE 00 DIRECTOR HAS LICENCE TO THRILL' or similar tabloid rubbish in the headlines. Those come cheap and regardless whichever director is chosen.

#30 General Malice

General Malice

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:37 PM

But what's all this talk of Ralph Fiennes? Given that he played Steed in that terrible Avengers film, perhaps this signifies the return of Sir Godfrey Tibbett? Yes - that's, er, logical. Maybe..