8 replies to this topic

#1 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:04 PM

Sebastian Faulks will be signing his new book at Hatchards of London.

Hatchards Signing Session

Hatchards is pleased to announce the following Signing Session:

A WEEK IN DECEMBER by SEBASTIAN FAULKS
Thursday 3rd September 12.30-1.30pm

Hatchards is pleased to announce that Sebastian Faulks will be signing copies of his new novel, 'A Week in December' (Hutchinson). London. The week before Christmas, 2007. As always, the Circle Line train is picking people up and dropping them off. Each appears to be in their own little world: the shady but successful money-market trader, the skunk-addicted student, the professional footballer from Poland, the student radicalised by Islamist theory, the literary hack and even the tube-driver herself. It is this fragmented picture of the modern city where lives continually criss-cross without touching, that Sebastian Faulks explodes in this savage satire on the dehumanising effect of postmodern society. As we learn the characters' hopes and fears, their ideas about family and wealth, their religious beliefs and thoughts about life, the plot builds to a towering climax in which they are all intricately bound. It is, ultimately, an inescapable confrontation with the nature of the world in which they - and we - live. A powerful, intensely compelling novel by the author of 'Birdsong' and 'Engleby'.
£ 18.99 Hardback 9780091794453
PLEASE NOTE THAT SEBASTIAN FAULKS WILL ONLY BE SIGNING COPIES OF 'A WEEK IN DECEMBER' AT THIS EVENT.

If you wish to place an advance order for a signed copy of this book then please telephone 020 7439 9921 and ask to speak to the Hardback Fiction Department or visit the Signings and Events section of our website, www.hatchards.co.uk.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:05 PM

PLEASE NOTE THAT SEBASTIAN FAULKS WILL ONLY BE SIGNING COPIES OF 'A WEEK IN DECEMBER' AT THIS EVENT.

B)

#3 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:16 PM

I noticed that Zencat, and I know you and me have a lot of time for Devil May Care. Its quite a snub to the Bond Fans. Picture being in a queue, A Week in December in one hand and Devil May Care in the other. Well he wont sign the Bond book will he. Raymond Benson would never do that! I bet he would sign his books and be more than happy to discuss his work.

#4 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:44 PM

He's probably sick of pinheads asking him to "sign it as Ian Fleming".

Tell them to B) off "as Ian Fleming" is my advice, Sebbers.

#5 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

He's probably sick of pinheads asking him to "sign it as Ian Fleming".

Tell them to B) off "as Ian Fleming" is my advice, Sebbers.

True Jim, True. He could apply that to a lot of situations in life couldnt he. Blame it on old Fleming, God Rest his Soul. Alomst develope a split personalty.

#6 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

I must say this book does sound quite good, and I'm yet to read any of Faulks' non-Bond output. Perhaps it's time the man redeemed himself in my eyes.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:47 PM

B)

Indeed, this seems a bit silly to me.

#8 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:27 AM

I wonder if security would bundle me out if I was to ask him to sign Birdsong? That would be the big test. I might travel to London to find out.......

#9 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:35 PM

I doubt if security would give you the boot as long as you don't hassle him.