#1 Richard

Richard

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:52 AM

I see my thread just got locked... B)

If I don't like a Bond movie, I'm not trying to instigate any ill-feeling by wanting to discuss the reasons why, especially with people who disagree with me. Hell, my opinion on Bond films have changed numerous times thanks to the discussions in these boards. I was a roamer for years before I joined, and always enjoyed the discussions as they really helped put in perspective how one should view the films.

That thread was started in the hope that I may have missed something in QoS and wanted to see whether my head could have been turned. I was strong in my convictions because that is how I felt. Yes it did get nasty at times, but that just shows the passion we have for Bond. But it's beginning to dawn on me (actually it dawned on me ages ago) that as long as the majority are in agreement that DAD was a dud and CR was awesome, and that Daniel Craig is the best thing since sliced bread, then we are one big happy family. Anything said to the contrary is received with insult upon insult.

Posters blaming that thread for what has happened to the overall mood of these forums should take a look in the mirror. It's not the thread that is at fault, but the posters posting inside those threads. If the mods really wanted to moderate, then they would ban (or at least warn) members that don't stick to the topic but choose instead to attack posters (See Hildebrand). Locking a thread doesn't eliminate the problem of members attacking other members that differ in opinion. What the hell is the point of a discussion forum if we are all in agreement?

I don't regret making that thread. All it did was expose these forums for what they are and any guest reading it will immediately know what they are in for should they choose to join. However, it isn't a reflection of most posters as there are some excellent ones on here that actually contribute intelligently and analytically and wisely kept away from the thread.

I thought the thread had run it's course about two months ago, but I never felt it necessary that it should have been locked. If Mods concentrated on unruly posters, then maybe intelligent discussions, no matter their stance, would be prevalent.

Quoted for truthfulness, even though you over-rate CR.

I was enjoying that discussion with you until it got derailed. The problem here on CBn is that only positive views are allowed to be expressed. The moderator Jim and his syncophants -- or maybe there's only two of them using different handles -- is disingenuous, and has an agenda all his own. He allows posters to be abused and even encourages abuse of those posters who don't share in his policy. It's unfortunate, because he robs this board of any integrity and usefulness it may otherwise have.

All of which is obvious to everyone who comes here and to everyone who has left. The conduct on this board is the worst I've seen, and the bad reputation is growing. CBn has degenerated into a foul-mouthed mutual admiration society that does NOT represent public opinion.

Richard

#2 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:26 AM

WTF???

B)

#3 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:19 AM

But it's beginning to dawn on me (actually it dawned on me ages ago) that as long as the majority are in agreement that DAD was a dud and CR was awesome, and that Daniel Craig is the best thing since sliced bread, then we are one big happy family. Anything said to the contrary is received with insult upon insult.

This does not reflect my experience on CBn. It's true that I think CR was awesome and, yes, that Daniel Craig is the best thing since sliced bread, but I'm also a huge fan and passionate defender of DIE ANOTHER DAY. In addition, while I like QUANTUM OF SOLACE and certainly don't view it as a failure, I don't worship the ground it walks on and have strong reservations about certain aspects of it.

I've never felt that I've been insulted for my championing of DAD or my airing of gripes about QOS.

Heck, my favourite Bond film is THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN (!). No one's ever given me a hard time for this (not that I'd care if they did, of course). In my experience, all manner of views are not only tolerated on CBn but welcomed.

#4 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:42 AM

All of which is obvious to everyone who comes here and to everyone who has left. The conduct on this board is the worst I've seen, and the bad reputation is growing. CBn has degenerated into a foul-mouthed mutual admiration society that does NOT represent public opinion.

Richard

Obvious to those who come here looking for a fight. Those of us who come here for discussion and debate (and yes, they can be a bit heated) enjoy the atmosphere.

#5 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

I've never felt that I've been insulted for my championing of DAD

That's only because you can't hear me yelling at the screen... B)

#6 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:09 AM

Richard

You know, I have no idea who you are or what your problem is, but if the conduct on this board is genuinely the worst you've seen, then you either need new glasses or you've been incredibly lucky in your travels on the internet!

#7 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:17 AM

I see my thread just got locked... B)

If I don't like a Bond movie, I'm not trying to instigate any ill-feeling by wanting to discuss the reasons why, especially with people who disagree with me. Hell, my opinion on Bond films have changed numerous times thanks to the discussions in these boards. I was a roamer for years before I joined, and always enjoyed the discussions as they really helped put in perspective how one should view the films.

That thread was started in the hope that I may have missed something in QoS and wanted to see whether my head could have been turned. I was strong in my convictions because that is how I felt. Yes it did get nasty at times, but that just shows the passion we have for Bond. But it's beginning to dawn on me (actually it dawned on me ages ago) that as long as the majority are in agreement that DAD was a dud and CR was awesome, and that Daniel Craig is the best thing since sliced bread, then we are one big happy family. Anything said to the contrary is received with insult upon insult.

Posters blaming that thread for what has happened to the overall mood of these forums should take a look in the mirror. It's not the thread that is at fault, but the posters posting inside those threads. If the mods really wanted to moderate, then they would ban (or at least warn) members that don't stick to the topic but choose instead to attack posters (See Hildebrand). Locking a thread doesn't eliminate the problem of members attacking other members that differ in opinion. What the hell is the point of a discussion forum if we are all in agreement?

I don't regret making that thread. All it did was expose these forums for what they are and any guest reading it will immediately know what they are in for should they choose to join. However, it isn't a reflection of most posters as there are some excellent ones on here that actually contribute intelligently and analytically and wisely kept away from the thread.

I thought the thread had run it's course about two months ago, but I never felt it necessary that it should have been locked. If Mods concentrated on unruly posters, then maybe intelligent discussions, no matter their stance, would be prevalent.

Quoted for truthfulness, even though you over-rate CR.

I was enjoying that discussion with you until it got derailed. The problem here on CBn is that only positive views are allowed to be expressed. The moderator Jim and his syncophants -- or maybe there's only two of them using different handles -- is disingenuous, and has an agenda all his own. He allows posters to be abused and even encourages abuse of those posters who don't share in his policy. It's unfortunate, because he robs this board of any integrity and usefulness it may otherwise have.

Richard

Do any fan forums represent "public opinion"? What IS public opinion? As there is no such thing as the general public, you need to be careful suggesting there is such a thing as public opinion.

Jim does not have his "own agenda" - any more than you or I do. We come on these forums to share and make our opinions known. WE ALL HAVE AN AGENDA. That is how discussion works. The conduct is not "the worse" on CBN. It is however sorely misguided at times, and - dare I say it - ignorant of the wider issues and industry contexts, but that is to be expected. Not everyone is an industry professional and nor do they need to be. A little more perspective and reality would not go amiss, but that is what Zorin Industries is here for (?!). That last comment was a meagre attempt at humour for those that chose being given a love of Bond instead of a sense of humour (!).

"Positive views" are NOT the only views allowed on CBN. FAR from it, in fact. If you have read any QUANTUM OF SOLACE hater round here try and bleat on about "fast editing" and "Dan Bradley" you will see that there is nothing positive about bandwagon complaining.

I am not sure of the real agenda you yourself have Richard on this one (nor am I that interested) but if your thread was cancelled then the admin guys probably have a good reason why. And that is not about curtailing your thoughts, but maybe more to do with the fact your thoughts are repeated elsewhere on longer established threads or that your thread was becoming defamatory or just plain out of order. I don't know what it takes to run a fan site like CBN but I have experience of maintaining smaller sites for differing reasons and it is very time consuming. Jim and his management colleagues should be congratulated and thanked for their unpaid efforts. A little more of a clear through line of intent for the site as a whole may not go amiss, but overall CBN has a quality of leadership - certainly it is equal across the board with that old fashioned phrase so many Bond fans forget about when they lambast this and that, and that is the much maligned and forgotten quality of "standards".

#8 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:27 PM

If I shut this, what happens? CBn gets/continues the impression that it suppresses any anti-Mr Craig/Mr Craig's tenure commentary, when actually it's only anti-cretin.

Nothing more to be said about it. Except that there was nothing wrong at all with the initial idea of the original thread so a new thread of the same idea would be welcome so long as it can be kept civil. And honestly these forums are at their best when its members are the ones keeping things civil rather than us moderators.

#9 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:48 PM

Multiple choice q...

...So, the purpose of this thread is:

a) to bash Jim

a1) to bash me

c) to rattle the sabre. Again.

d) to alleviate one's own boredom. Again.

e) to curry favour with an underwhelming minority of humanity

f) to have me banned from CommanderBond.net

g) all of the above

Lovely sport.

#10 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

The moderator Jim and his syncophants -- or maybe there's only two of them using different handles -- is disingenuous, and has an agenda all his own.

Aside from confusion as to whether Jim's online audience are merely beating to the same tune, strong harmonies on weak beats etc., or an accusation of some other form of symbiotic relationship, I am not sure this post or retread is entirely necessary.

I doth protest.

#11 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:36 PM

Foul mouthed? You can't even say B)!

See? You can't say it!

#12 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

I believe you closed one of my threads in September of '07, Jim.

Don't think I've ever forgiven you for that.

Or, for that matter, ever will.

#13 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:28 PM

Finally ’splains Jim’s agenda. He’s seeking immortality. B)

#14 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

Finally, ’splains Jim’s agenda. He’s seeking immortality. B)

As long as when he gets a few chalices to choose from, he chooses "wisely".

#15 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:02 PM

The fact is Jim has closed a number of my threads and banned me, o, three times (?)...is that the right number, Jim?

But we still love each other here.

We here are all James Bond fans - through and through - and I, for one, love each and every one of you!

B)

PS

I especially love Jim! :tdown:

#16 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

The level of discourse on CBn is like the Roman senate compared to that on some fan sites. Sure, we have our spats, but I credit both the mods and the community in keeping this "big dysfunctional family" mostly on track.

#17 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Jim's never closed any of my threads. This means he's ignoring me. Which I cannot take.

This will not do. The man is clearly the root of all evil (he probably also scripted TWINE and got Purvis and Wade to take the blame).

#18 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

I don't think there's much places to be had where one can find a wider variety of opinions regarding Bond and where these opinions generally are tolerated in a similar manner.

Administrating these forums is doubtlessly pretty damn difficult stuff and, while it's actually impossible to cater to everybody's tastes, I feel that here one can find a team of people who try to make their best efforts to make a very large group of people feel comfortable here. This is not always possible, not always successful, but they at least try. Can't ask much more of the team, can one?

#19 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:09 PM

(he probably also scripted TWINE and got Purvis and Wade to take the blame).

That was his way of striking the hatchet into the head of the Pierce Era, thus helping the Irish American go the bottom of the Bonds pile.

B)

Sweet Vengence.

#20 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:10 PM

Jim's never closed any of my threads. This means he's ignoring me. Which I cannot take.

This will not do. The man is clearly the root of all evil (he probably also scripted TWINE and got Purvis and Wade to take the blame).

His most devious trick: he scripted DAD and then keeps bashing it as if he had nothing to do with that crime against humanity...

#21 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

Finally ’splains Jim’s agenda. He’s seeking immortality. B)

Quite.