This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Adele's Skyfall (POLL ADDED)

2673 replies to this topic

Poll: Adele's Skyfall (POLL ADDED) (305 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of Adeles 'Skyfall'?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DKnight007

DKnight007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:29 PM

So can the Broccolis finally wake up and hire artists that would be more suited to do a Bond theme for once? The last two opening credit Bond theme songs were just not good fits.

My top artist suggestions to do the next theme song in no particular order....

1. Portishead
2. Muse
3. Micahel Buble
4. Massive Attack
5. Radiohead

Any one of these great artistic talents have what it takes to deliver a great and epic Bond theme that would be far more fitting and appropriate for a Bond film, then the last two ill advised choices IMO.

To bad Amy Winehouse is too cracked out to deliver....at one point she would have been a good choice, but she needs to sober up first.

What are your top choices guys and gals?

Edited by Dustin, 05 October 2012 - 05:22 AM.

#2 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:38 PM

Alright, now before I get on to the actual list, going to cover what you said up top. Personally I think You Know My Name worked perfectly with CR. It's one of my top 3 themes, actually. Second only to the Living Daylights. That aside, I do think Another Way to Die was far from being the best Bond theme, but I do believe there have been worse. I enjoy listening to it from time to time. I think it's biggest flaw, really, is Jack White. Remove him from the equation and it becomes much better, I imagine.

Anywho, on to the artists,

Frankly I'm pretty good with people they are considering. When Michael G. Wilson said Duffy I was hesitant because, well, the only Duffy song I'd heard was Mercy and I can't make it past the first two seconds of that song it annoys me so much. But I went onto youtube I went and clicked a video at random: Rain On Your Parade. Doesn't really seem like it would work for a movie, but it does sound like it could be the theme song to a Bond game, and I think Duffy does show the possibility of doing a Bond theme in that song. David Arnold mentioned he wants to work with the Killers. Personally I can't stand the Killers stuff, but I can see how they could work, and honestly there have been people who have done Bond themes where I can't stand their ordinary music but I quite enjoy the Bond song. So I'd be pretty content with either.

As for a suggestion of who I'd like to see, I say surprise me.

#3 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

I'd pay good money to hear what Muse would do with a James Bond theme. They're easily my top choice, and they would surely prove a beautiful match for the tone and style of the Daniel Craig era.

#4 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:33 PM

Depeche Mode
Duffy (Duffy - Warwick Avenue)

#5 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:23 PM

I'd pay good money to hear what Muse would do with a James Bond theme. They're easily my top choice, and they would surely prove a beautiful match for the tone and style of the Daniel Craig era.

I could get behind Muse, I'm a huge fan of their work, and think they are versatile enough to fit into the needs of the film, while not sacrificing there own sound (something I think Garbage was guilty of with TWINE).

I personally am a huge fan of all kinds of Metal, and I would love to see the next Bond theme adopt that style. Metallica would be my top choice, or even Megadeth, but I would love to see some more (relatively) unkwown band's contribute, along the lnes of Trivum or even Lacuna Coil.

#6 DKnight007

DKnight007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:28 PM

I think Duffy would do a decent job.....

One of my favorites has to be Tina Turners GoldenEye....the song just brings all the elements of what a Bond theme should sound like IMO....and I always loved Duran Durans "View to a Kill" classic....

The Cornell song had potential and I felt the pace should have been a bit slower, instead of a rock out song.

#7 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:38 PM

The Cornell song had potential and I felt the pace should have been a bit slower, instead of a rock out song.

I'm a bit tired of slow ballads for Bond songs, we had enough of those in the Moore and Brosnan eras. I want some fast paced tunes.

#8 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:39 PM

I'm a bit tired of slow ballads for Bond songs, we had enough of those in the Moore and Brosnan eras. I want some fast paced tunes.

Agreed B)

#9 singleentendre

singleentendre

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:45 PM

I love every single Bond theme except Tomorrow Never Dies (thank God for Surrender). So, I'm confident that no matter who they pick the song will turn out great, as it usually does.

#10 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:55 PM

I love every single Bond theme except Tomorrow Never Dies (thank God for Surrender). So, I'm confident that no matter who they pick the song will turn out great, as it usually does.

Personally, TND theme > DAD theme. I don't like Madonna to begin with, but that just...why was she ever selected to do James Bond?

#11 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:59 PM

I enjoy the Madonna theme in the same way I enjoy Gladys Knight's theme. Goes great with the title sequence but falls short when listening to it on th radio.

I enjoy the Madonna theme in the same way I enjoy Gladys Knight's theme. Goes great with the title sequence but falls short when listening to it on th radio.

#12 singleentendre

singleentendre

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:17 PM

I enjoy the Madonna theme in the same way I enjoy Gladys Knight's theme. Goes great with the title sequence but falls short when listening to it on th radio

Really? I think Licence To Kill's theme was absolutely butchered for the title sequence and doesn't compare to the full version. It's one of my favorites.

#13 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:19 PM

Rush.

and no i'm not kidding.

#14 DKnight007

DKnight007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:26 PM

Rock out songs just do not fit Bond IMO.

They tried that with the last two and it didn't work.

They need to go back to melodic, moody ballads and songs with smooth back beats.

Edited by DKnight007, 12 June 2009 - 11:33 PM.

#15 Martini

Martini

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:57 PM

I guess it makes sense to look for artists who are under contract of Sony. Duffy would be great but isnĀ“t she at David Geffens A&M Records?

Apart from that I would like to hear The Smashing Pumpkins or Depeche Mode.

#16 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:03 AM

I enjoy the Madonna theme in the same way I enjoy Gladys Knight's theme. Goes great with the title sequence but falls short when listening to it on th radio

Really? I think Licence To Kill's theme was absolutely butchered for the title sequence and doesn't compare to the full version. It's one of my favorites.

Full version is way better but I don't mind the film size.

#17 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:00 AM

They need to go back to melodic, moody ballads and songs with smooth back beats.

If you want ballads there are plenty of ballads throughout the Moore era. Me personally I'm ready for something new. Why look towards the past? As someone once said "It's the future, get used to it."

And as for the rock themes not working? Purely a matter of opinion, I think Cornell's YKMN is one of the best Bond songs in a long while, and AWTD is just awesome, I love listening to it, inside the movie and outside.

#18 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:39 AM

They worked for me. B)

I'm ready for another LALD or AVTAK. I'm pretty tired of Bassey clones, myself. Mostly because the artists aren't suited toward that style (K.D. Lang being an exception).

However, it's always easier to describe how it shouldn't be, as opposed to how it should.

#19 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:51 AM

If they're going rock, please let U2 do it! They showed what they can do with the lyrics in Goldeneye. Let them show can they can do with the music!

If they're going ballad......I don't know!

#20 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

Already a big thread on this. Just because you can't see it in the first few threads doesn't mean it doesn't exist; there's more than one page to the subforum, and that's what the Search button is for.

#21 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:33 PM

I guess it makes sense to look for artists who are under contract of Sony.

Why? I thought Sony has nothing to do with the Bond movies anymore. Anyway, I'm a big advocate for Duffy to perform; she's fantastic.

#22 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:47 PM

Just get Chris Cornell back. I would also like to see a-Ha do another one, though that would probably never happen.

#23 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:44 PM

Just get Chris Cornell back. I would also like to see a-Ha do another one, though that would probably never happen.

Re a-ha I was just going to post the same. They would do another good theme, but sadly I don't think it will happen either. They recorded a song called SOLACE in 2002 interestingly enough.

I would go for the killers for 23
Was saddened to read what MGW said at the National Museum of Film and Photography about too much studio interference with the title songs, restricting the producers freedom of choosing artists. I would love the studios to back off. I really like YKMN, but that aside the themes of late hit right between the eyes of mediocrity IMO.

#24 karligula

karligula

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

I like the idea of Muse doing a Bond theme, they're top notch. Whoever sings it I want high energy pumping stuff like this:

Jesus Jones - The Devil You Know
Curve - Chinese Burn

Oldies but goldies, not sure if these bands are around any more but this is definitely my kind of music!

#25 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:09 PM

Hmmmmmmm!

http://www.mi6.co.uk...d...=mi6&s=news

#26 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:36 PM

Hmmmmmmm!

"XYZ wants to do Bond theme" - a penny for each time I've seen similar headlines would make me a rich man. It should read "XYZ needs a bit of promotion and therefore attach their name to James Bond". Always works, at least one tabloid will pick it up, and a few others will follow. Funny that we never saw any of these actually do a Bond song afterwards...

#27 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:34 AM

Hmmmmmmm!

"XYZ wants to do Bond theme" - a penny for each time I've seen similar headlines would make me a rich man. It should read "XYZ needs a bit of promotion and therefore attach their name to James Bond". Always works, at least one tabloid will pick it up, and a few others will follow. Funny that we never saw any of these actually do a Bond song afterwards...

Something like that! I think that they're anywhere but close to doing a Bond theme!

#28 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:13 PM

If I was to admit to a dream band for the job and they are not a top in my top 5 all time favourite although I admire and love the their music, Portishead would be the top of the list. The reason being they are probably the one contemporary act who have been influenced by Barry the most but still manage to give their music their own individual stamp and would rather than ape give the tradition a real individual feel.

All mine form their 2nd self titled screams Bond. If I was to mention another group Depeche Mode would be on my list, Barrel of a Gun like U2's Hold Me Thrill Me... is one of those tracks which would have made a great Bond tune. Massive attack with the right vocalist could pull a top tune out the bag as well.

I also throw Kasabian into the ring their new album shows subtle Barry influences in without being too obvious, the only problem like Portishead & Massive Attack their profile in the States might deter the producers from considering them.

U2 are probably too obvious but I wouldn't complain, Radiohead yes but I don't think they'd be interested.

#29 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:25 PM

Just went and checked out this Portishead everyone's on about (I don't keep up with music, really; mostly just listen to classic rock and oldies) and I concur. They'd be great for a Bond film.

#30 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

I may get shot for this suggestion but i'm listening to New Divide By Linkin Park

and it got me thinkin that i'd love to hear Linkin Park do a Bond theme, assuming they write it with David Arnold. Linkin Park's sound would match a full orcahestra brilliantly, and i would love to hear what they came up with.

Edited by Orion, 14 June 2009 - 06:38 PM.