#1 Eddie Burns

Eddie Burns

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:11 AM

I see my thread just got locked... B)

If I don't like a Bond movie, I'm not trying to instigate any ill-feeling by wanting to discuss the reasons why, especially with people who disagree with me. Hell, my opinion on Bond films have changed numerous times thanks to the discussions in these boards. I was a roamer for years before I joined, and always enjoyed the discussions as they really helped put in perspective how one should view the films.

That thread was started in the hope that I may have missed something in QoS and wanted to see whether my head could have been turned. I was strong in my convictions because that is how I felt. Yes it did get nasty at times, but that just shows the passion we have for Bond. But it's beginning to dawn on me (actually it dawned on me ages ago) that as long as the majority are in agreement that DAD was a dud and CR was awesome, and that Daniel Craig is the best thing since sliced bread, then we are one big happy family. Anything said to the contrary is received with insult upon insult.

Posters blaming that thread for what has happened to the overall mood of these forums should take a look in the mirror. It's not the thread that is at fault, but the posters posting inside those threads. If the mods really wanted to moderate, then they would ban (or at least warn) members that don't stick to the topic but choose instead to attack posters (See Hildebrand). Locking a thread doesn't eliminate the problem of members attacking other members that differ in opinion. What the hell is the point of a discussion forum if we are all in agreement?

I don't regret making that thread. All it did was expose these forums for what they are and any guest reading it will immediately know what they are in for should they choose to join. However, it isn't a reflection of most posters as there are some excellent ones on here that actually contribute intelligently and analytically and wisely kept away from the thread.

I thought the thread had run it's course about two months ago, but I never felt it necessary that it should have been locked. If Mods concentrated on unruly posters, then maybe intelligent discussions, no matter their stance, would be prevalent.

#2 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:21 AM

In response, from the locked thread in question:

Can you imagine how crazy Eddie will get if this thread is locked? He'd probably think it was an attempt by the mods to silent his dissent.

I see now that that is exactly what has occurred.

#3 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:24 AM

I think some of the generalizations you make in this post are a bit unfair. It's perfectly fine to dislike QoS, I love it but if you don't who am I to tell you you're wrong?

It's the whole attitude you presented with each post that people took issue with, you really did take on the whole, "I hate this film and I can't believe anyone would like it" stance, and that's what a majority of us found problems with.

#4 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:32 AM

Alarm bells always ring when the phrase "my thread" rears its putrid head, especially when coupled with whining about others not looking after "my thread". "The thread I started going" is nearer the truth. If you want "my thread" go to "my blog" or "my toilet wall" or "my voices inside my head why oh why won't people listen to me when I have such beautiful things to share with the world?". There are other threads with the same content - unless there's some sort of problem in joining a conversation and not being sufficiently noticed. Perhaps that's it.

However, it isn't a reflection of most posters as there are some excellent ones on here that actually contribute intelligently and analytically and wisely kept away from the thread.

...If Mods concentrated on unruly posters, then maybe intelligent discussions, no matter their stance, would be prevalent.

By your own definition, it wasn't a conversation worthy of intelligence and analysis.

I = 11
Me/my = 6
Us = 0

Self-indulgent attention-seeking claptrap. Both threads.

Guess what happens to this one?