43 replies to this topic

#31 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:22 PM

Villiers doesn't feel like he served in the military. Or if he did, he was probably a desk job. Villiers doesn't seem to me like he's ever killed a man.

I tend to agree, given his reaction to the sight of Solange's body.

#32 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:04 PM

I wasn't saying Villiers is a homosexual, just effeminate.

Er, you called him a "poof". You might as well have called him a "faggot" and had done with it.

I prefer Bill Tanner because he's a Fleming character with a presumed military background whereas Villiers probably got his job through nepotism.

What? Because he's a "poof"? Well, of course he couldn't have got his job any other way, could he? I mean, he couldn't possibly have served in the military, could he..? (That is so wrong, fyi, believe me...)

"They were looking for a few good men, and so was I!" B)

I wish they had just called Villers Ms Moneypenny and pushed more for a Hollywood Montrose type. No apologies. Now THAT would have been a more interesting reboot!

I really dislike how Villers is just blatantly a Moneypenny stand in but with no distinguishable personality. I am not sure if that's any worse than Caroline Bliss, though. :tdown:

#33 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:17 PM

Moneypenny.

#34 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:54 PM

I don't really like either that much. But if I had to pick, it would be Villiers.

He probably should have remained and been the Craig era equivalent of Moneypenny. Totally re-think the concept, they don't have to use the Moneypenny character or cast a woman. Villiers serves the exact same purpose and opens up new aspects.

#35 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:09 PM

I completely agree.

I don't even know why the hell Villiers was replaced. There was no explination, Tanner just appeared. If they thought it through properly, Villiers should've either been

a ) Mitchell.
b ) Tanner.

Considering the damn thing's supposed to be a direct continuation...

Does anyone remember this?

#36 Mr.Stamper

Mr.Stamper

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:16 PM

Tanner For me.

#37 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:55 PM

I don't even know why the hell Villiers was replaced. There was no explination, Tanner just appeared. If they thought it through properly, Villiers should've either been

a ) Mitchell.
b ) Tanner.

You know, I remember how people kept saying how scrawny Tobias Menzies was, so that he couldn't have done the Siena chase, but if you look at him on the HBO miniseries Rome, he's pretty buff, there; I think he might just have had the chops to pull it off.

Ah, well; I guess just using a stuntman for the role was safer... B)

#38 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:01 AM

I completely agree.

a ) Mitchell.
b ) Tanner.

Maybe Villiers stayed safely at home at MI6? When the computer-wall in M's office flicks on, I seem to recall seeing a desk on the other side of it. Maybe Villiers was there and he was just too afraid to go out into the field or something?

#39 honour

honour

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:34 AM

Tanner. Villiers was a little too wet behind the ears for my liking B)

#40 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:02 AM

Villiers. Hands down.
Tanner is a good character, but he was just pointless in Quantum of Solace, personally. He just acted like M's assistant. I thought that's why we had Miss Moneypenny...B)

#41 Dainshdude118

Dainshdude118

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:50 AM

I don't think Bond and Villiers were friends per se, but I think that they had a mmutual respect for one another, ie, you do your job, I'll do mine.

We also know that they played poker together (With Tanner as well I'd presume)from M's line in the CR briefing after Solange's death.

For me it's Villiers every time.

I'd love to see him back in B23, but to be honest, Menezes, being such a brilliant actor, probably has better things to do than take on a minor supporting film role.

Incidently, i found it really interesting how everyone said he always looked tired and such. Would anyone else be interested in a thread discussing QOS minor characters and seing how much we can find out about there characters by watching the film really closely?

#42 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:06 AM

As written and acted, Villiers is the better character. However, my favorite character of the two would be Bill Tanner. I would rather have him return, as well as Jane Moneypenny, in Bond 23 et al. Hopefully, EON will give Rory Kinnear's Tanner more to do--and more interesting things to do--in the future.

#43 DouglasJ

DouglasJ

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:05 AM

If I'm being honest, I would say I preferred Villiers. However, if I was given the choice of which was to return in Bond 23 I would choose Tanner - simply because he's Tanner.

I hope they give him more to do though.

Do we know why Villiers didn't return. I know the actor announced that the character wouldn't be brought back, but was he written out simply to introduce Tanner?

#44 Kronsteen

Kronsteen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:50 PM

I also prefer Villiers. A very nice little part, that added something to the scenes he was present in. Tanners part seemed a little too polished, with no memorable lines.. all just work-related and nothing else.

But I'd like to see them both in Bond 23, but I fear we'll only get Tanner again. Especially if they're going to introduce either Moneypenny or Q, I don't think they'll use both Villiers and Tanner. The Mi6 staff can't be too big I'm afraid.