5 replies to this topic

#1 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:09 PM

First of all, I apologize if this thread has been done before. I checked but I didn't see a thread similar to this one.
Second, I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so feel free to move it. B)

Anyways, onto the discussion. Are there any real live people that you think would make a perfect Bond villain?

My example: I would love to see 007 face off against Kim Jong-Il. Imagine that fight scene! :tdown:

#2 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:51 AM

I forgot to add: Weren't some of the actual Bond villains based on people that Fleming knew?
For example, wasn't Goldfinger based on an architect that Fleming despised?
And I know that Scaramanga was the name of a classmate that Fleming knew...

But what about, for example, Eliot Carver? Did he show up because networks like CNN and Fox were sprouting up?

#3 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:07 AM

The reason I wouldn't get excited to see Bond fight real world villains is because I think the franchise would risk becoming political, either intentionally or inadvertently. The Bond universe is based on reality to a certain degree, but then the producers up the ante just a little bit (and sometimes a lot). That's why it's fun. Putting Bond against actualy real world villains...I don't know.

Villains according to whom first of all? Sure, over half the planet thinks Ahmadinejad is dangerous, but do you really think a Bond film should have an Ayatollah backed regime as a villain? That's treading dangerous territory if you ask me.

#4 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:45 PM

I'm not ACTUALLY suggesting that Bond fights a "real" person. I started this thread to see if there were any real life people who could be considered a "Bond villain."

#5 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:35 PM

I'm not ACTUALLY suggesting that Bond fights a "real" person. I started this thread to see if there were any real life people who could be considered a "Bond villain."

Well EON seems to think so. As you hinted earlier in the thread with Elliot Carver, some of his activities resemble those of Robert Maxwell and Bill Gates, and Gustav Graves is said to be inspired by Richard Branson.

#6 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:40 AM

Speaking of media barons, we were talking about Rupert Murdoch in my Basic Logic class a few weeks ago. One of the students added that he could be the next Bond villain. :tdown: I chuckled to myself. Can't you just imagine Murdoch sitting in a large, swivel chair, petting a white cat? :tdown: B)