37 replies to this topic

#1 Della Leiter

Della Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

Two words: Wayne Newton. As you probably know, he was in Licence to Kill, and, quite frankly, ruined the movie for me. I think Timothy is fantastic in this movie, but Mr. Newton? Not so much... What do you think? Any opinions? Or did something else make or break the movie for you?

(Edit - font)

Edited by Della Leiter, 10 April 2009 - 09:13 PM.

#2 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:27 PM

Three words: "Let's go fishing!" B)

#3 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

Three Words: "Bless your heart!" :tdown:

I didn't have a problem with him tbh, he provided fun to a very dark move. :tdown: B)

#4 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:33 PM

Licence to Kill is one of my top 5 favorite Bond films therefore Wayne Newton doesn't ruin the film for me. Truman Lodge is way more annoying than Professor Joe Butcher, IMO. B)

#5 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:36 PM

i liked him, he had a funny voice.

#6 Della Leiter

Della Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:40 PM

Don't get me wrong; I still love this movie. It's in my top ten, maybe even top five. I just didn't like it. He really creeped me out, actually. B) But I do see what you mean, with the providing fun to a dark movie.

#7 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:41 PM

Della Lieter was the worst thing about LTK...and all that kissing Bond seem...inappropriate. B)

#8 Della Leiter

Della Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:43 PM

Della Lieter was the worst thing about LTK...and all that kissing Bond seem...inappropriate. B)

My namesake! How dare you! (:

Edited by Della Leiter, 10 April 2009 - 09:43 PM.

#9 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:47 PM

Don't get me wrong; I still love this movie. It's in my top ten, maybe even top five. I just didn't like it. He really creeped me out, actually. :tdown: But I do see what you mean, with the providing fun to a dark movie.

Prof. Butcher is a creepy dude.

Della Lieter was the worst thing about LTK...and all that kissing Bond seem...inappropriate. :tdown:

I love Della. Her and Bond were really good friends hence the friendly kisses.

Della Lieter was the worst thing about LTK...and all that kissing Bond seem...inappropriate. :)

I met Priscilla Barnes in 2006. She autographed a picture for me and then asked me, "Would you like a condom?" I was stunned until she pulled out a plastic sleeve for the picture! B)

#10 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:51 PM

Della Lieter was the worst thing about LTK...and all that kissing Bond seem...inappropriate. :tdown:

Exactly. B)

#11 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:54 PM

LMFAO at Righty's anecdote! B)

#12 Della Leiter

Della Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:57 PM

Exactly. B)

Thaaaanks (x Also, great story Righty007! That's really cool. I too love Della, (hence the name) and she and Bond were obviously very good friends. They had a connection, and, in my opinion, great onscreen chemistry. I love Felix, too.

#13 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:59 PM

LMFAO at Righty's anecdote! B)

:tdown:

That's the story I'm going to be telling my grandchildren.

#14 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:25 PM

haha! I love Priscilla though, one of the highlights of Licence to Kill for sure. She's my second favourite 'Fallen Angel' in the Bond movies. She's just beaten by Teri Hatcher, due to my Desperate Housewives love! B)

#15 Della Leiter

Della Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:39 PM

Thank you for your love of Della, Mharkin007! I like Teri Hatcher, too. In fact, I'm watching Tomorrow Never Dies right now!

#16 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:43 PM

I couldn't stand her in TND; she sounded like she had sucked on 50 buckets full of helium, and the camera angles trying to hide her pregnancy didn't help, either. :tdown:

Priscilla Barnes, though? The tops! B)

#17 Della Leiter

Della Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:52 PM

I don't necessarily agree with the helium thing. I think she sounded normal. And she was pregnant?! I had no idea. Wow. I feel stupid... B)

And thank you all for your love of Della!

#18 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:30 AM

Come and knock on our door
We've been waiting for you..

Sorry...couldn't resist:)
I thought Priscilla was great in LTK as well as Wayne. Excellent casting for the entire film actually, IMO. Also, one of the most fun things about LTK was the familiar genre faces: Wayne, David Hedison, and so forth. Still one of my fave Bond films of the 80s.

#19 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:50 AM

Wayne Newton was a plus in LTK for me because he wasn't what you'd expect to see in a Bond film. The part was small enough to not overwhelm anything and large enough to have an impact.

When people complain that LTK is too grim, I just think of the Newton appearance. It's so random I just really enjoy it.

I'm amazed people think the Wayne Newton and Priscilla Barnes characters are the worst thing in LTK when it's obviously Talisa Soto, who always qualifies for one of my least favorite Bond girls. Both in the acting and the way the character is written. There's hardly a redeeming thing about either.

#20 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:40 AM

Where the kisses are hers and hers and his,
Three's company too.

I'm amazed people think the Wayne Newton and Priscilla Barnes characters are the worst thing in LTK when it's obviously Talisa Soto, who always qualifies for one of my least favorite Bond girls. Both in the acting and the way the character is written. There's hardly a redeeming thing about either.

Talisa Soto was an Oscar-worthy actress compared to Maryam d'Abo. The only good thing about d'Abo is her Playboy spread. B)

#21 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

I didn't mind Wayne in the movie. I thought it was actually quite funny to see him in that role.

And welcome, Della. :tdown:

B)

#22 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

I recall when I first heard he was going to be in the movie I thought it was a potentially terrible idea. But I thought he was actually pretty convincing in the role. At least he brought some humor to the movie.

#23 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:26 AM

It's hilarious when he's running after Pam, after she's just taken his money, he gives up running and just shouts "bless your heart".

Ha ha, love it B)

#24 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:49 PM

It's hilarious when he's running after Pam, after she's just taken his money, he gives up running and just shouts "bless your heart".

Ha ha, love it B)

I remember the audience roaring at that moment.

#25 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:30 AM

Ha ha, love it B)

I remember the audience roaring at that moment.

Really? I groaned. :tdown:

#26 Pam Bouvier

Pam Bouvier

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:15 AM

Since there seems to be so much love for Della/Priscilla in this thread, it seems like the right place to post the blog post I found last night.  Great piece on Della/Priscilla and LTK.

http://hillplace.blo...bond-girl.html

Edited by Pam Bouvier, 19 February 2016 - 02:24 AM.

#27 Pam Bouvier

Pam Bouvier

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:28 AM

For some reason, my edit doesn't want to appear on the above post. Note:  It appears that to access the blog post from the link above you have to click on the address bar once you get to the Hill place page.  

Obviously one of Sanchez's henchmen somehow survived all lhose years ago and is responsible to this obstacle.

#28 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:44 PM

For some reason, my edit doesn't want to appear on the above post. Note:  It appears that to access the blog post from the link above you have to click on the address bar once you get to the Hill place page.  

Obviously one of Sanchez's henchmen somehow survived all lhose years ago and is responsible to this obstacle.

Good analysis in this article. I will have to re-watch License to Kill with this in mind. As for why the link doesn't go directly to the article, for whatever reason the pathway seems to add a few characters to the end (after .html) when we click on it. Deleting those extra characters, then hitting enter, takes you to the blog post.

#29 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:11 AM

LTK included one or two sterotyped characters from 1980s America and the wider world. We had the Latin American drug baron (Sanchez), the corrupt DEA man (Killifer), the smart-alec yuppie (Truman-Lodge),the ex-special forces man gone bad (Colonel Heller)..... and the holy roller holler-a dollar type, Professor Joe Butcher. Granted the religious aspect was removed in place of some vague guff about "pyramid power" he was promoting, but in every other way Professor Joe reminded me of those TV preachers in the US (Even the name "Butcher" - wasn't there a TV preacher called the Reverend Jim Bakker on the go about the time LTK was around?)

So you could see the inclusion of Las Vegas legend Wayne Newton as a bit of social satire, as well as highly unusual casting. But then there have been unusual bits of casting before. The Howard Hughes character, "Willard Whyte" in DAF...... who would have thought that country and western singer turned sausage magnate Jimmy Dean would land the role? ;-)

#30 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

At the time I had no idea who Wayne Newton was, here in The Netherlands he's not known at all.

But I always thought that the whole character edited out would have made it a better and faster movie. For me he was always one of the examples why LtK is for me such a slow and boring movie.