The train scene

10 replies to this topic

#1 Fan

Fan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:23 PM

I have always felt that Vesper's line about 'Oxford' would have worked much better if it had been replaced with 'Eton.'

I think this was a mistake that Haggis, as an American, did not quite notice, but I believe that my fellow UK Bond fans get my point.

I wince every time I hear that line.
http://video.google....2...train&hl=en (sorry about the translation)

Edited by Fan, 06 April 2009 - 04:41 PM.

#2 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:48 PM

I don't really have a problem with the line at all. I feel that the connection being made between Bond's dress sense and university is more apt than if the connection had been made with his school.

#3 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

Vesper wasn't a mind reader. She used her intuition to size him up.

Her usage of "Oxford" and "Rolex" was meant to convey a type of education (prestige) and watch (luxuary/expensive), which applied to Bond since his education consisted of the prestigious "Eton" and "Fettes" and the expensive watch Omega.

It would have been shoddy writing had she said Eton and Omega.

#4 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:56 PM

I don't really have a problem with the line at all. I feel that the connection being made between Bond's dress sense and university is more apt than if the connection had been made with his school.

Seconded. After all, Bond doesn't dress in a schoolboy uniform B)

#5 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:14 PM

Doesn't Vesper say...
“You studied at Oxford or wherever, so naturally you think human beings dress like that”

The ‘or wherever’ is the answer, as it shows that Vesper is uncertain of where Bond was educated at, though she has a rough idea.

I'm not that bothered by the line anyway. B)

#6 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:26 PM

Doesn't Vesper say...
“You studied at Oxford or wherever, so naturally you think human beings dress like that”

The ‘or wherever’ is the answer, as it shows that Vesper is uncertain of where Bond was educated at, though she has a rough idea.

I'm not that bothered by the line anyway. B)

"By the cut of your suit you went to Oxford or wherever and actually think human beings dress like that but you were it with such disdain.. bla bla.."

I don't have a problem either :tdown:

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:32 PM

I have always felt that Vesper's line about 'Oxford' would have worked much better if it had been replaced with 'Eton.'

I think this was a mistake that Haggis, as an American, did not quite notice, but I believe that my fellow UK Bond fans get my point.

Vesper confused him from another Bond who took Oriental languages and brushed up on a bit of Danish at Oxford.

#8 Fan

Fan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:57 AM

Her usage of "Oxford" and "Rolex" was meant to convey a type of education (prestige) and watch (luxuary/expensive), which applied to Bond since his education consisted of the prestigious "Eton" and "Fettes" and the expensive watch Omega.

No it would not have. Eton sends a very different signal than Oxford does.

Eton is perceived as being an upper-class institution; Oxford is as well but much less so. Most Oxonians I know are slobs - most Old Etonians I know were taught to dress properly.

Oxford's prestige is as an educational facility; Eton's is of an educational and social facility.

Vesper confused him from another Bond who took Oriental languages and brushed up on a bit of Danish at Oxford.

That (Oriental Languages) was at Cambridge.

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:30 AM

No it would not have. Eton sends a very different signal than Oxford does.

Eton is perceived as being an upper-class institution; Oxford is as well but much less so. Most Oxonians I know are slobs - most Old Etonians I know were taught to dress properly.

Oxford's prestige is as an educational facility; Eton's is of an educational and social facility.

That (Oriental Languages) was at Cambridge.

OOPS!

So it was. B)

#10 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:40 PM

You're looking too much into it. There's nothing wrong wih the line. She was speaking in general terms, being emphatic that, Bond went to a highly reputable institution of education, hence the, "...or where ever..." line she follows the Oxford comment up with.

okkkkkk looking through the rest of the thread my comment was summed up better by others.

#11 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

Seconded. After all, Bond doesn't dress in a schoolboy uniform B)

Ah, but he does dress in a schoolgirl uniform!

OHMSS. Plaid skirt.

And so ETON it is, then. In fact, working with 'Eton' in the script, suddenly a wealth of potential puns of Jinxish caliber springs to mind...