8 replies to this topic

#1 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

Charles Gray, in my opinion, deserves a better reputation. The man was a very good actor. I like his British upper class accent and the insane smile on his face when he talks.

Dikko Henderson is one of the most memorable characters in franchise, in my book.

DAF's Ernst Stavro Blofeld is maybe not as menacing as its predecessors, but it is a charismatic one, Gray plays Blofeld for laughs allright, but the whole film is played for laughs and it gets more silly than his performance. You can see him realise in what sort of nonsense he's in, he gives a performance fitting this nonsense. Anyway, at least he wasn't on automatic pilot like Sean Connery in DAF. I consider Gray as one of the better aspects of the movie (together with Wint & Kidd and the music).

Edited by O.H.M.S.S., 02 April 2009 - 10:18 AM.

#2 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:19 AM

"Right idea. Wrong pussy".

Charles Gray's BLOFELD is always my favourite. The camp, almost kitsch take lends great sadism to the film.

#3 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:53 AM

In some ways it is a shame that Charles Gray portrayed Blofeld. I think that,had he been a completely different, original villain (he'd have been a wonderful Drax or Stromberg) he would have been held in much higher regard. Sadly he will always be seen as a lighter, camper Blofeld when compared to Donald Pleasance or Telly Savalas

#4 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

First of all, I liked Charles Gray's Blofeld better than Donald Pleasance's. I'm sorry, but I found Pleasance's menace in YOLT as a bit over-the-top and laughable (in a negative way).

Granted Gray's version of Blofeld was lighter than Pleasance or Savalas, but at least he was very witty and entertaining. Which is something I cannot say about Pleasance's Blofeld.

#5 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:43 PM

I wouldn't say Charles Gray was my favourite Blofeld, but I really liked his portrayal in DAF. Fitted perfectly with that movie. Love the atmosphere in the scene where Bond arrives at the top of the Whyte House with the two Blofelds. Gray is superb here and very very watchable indeed.

#6 Manticore

Manticore

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:14 PM

Dikko would have been in two or three films more. Gray was so great in YOLT !
In DAF... B)

#7 ChrissBond007

ChrissBond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

I've never liked Gray's version of Blofeld. I didn't really feel he was playing the same Blofeld we saw in the previous movies. He played it lighter and surely he was a good actor, but he just didn't fit into the role of Blofeld, in my opinion.

He was great as Henderson in YOLT, he definitely deserved more screentime in that role.

#8 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

Henderson is a great in-and-out character. Fun gag w/ the false leg, and his comment about not being able to go all out Japanese is a nice character-setter.

His Blofeld is awful. The whole movie feels like a bad hangover.

#9 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:00 AM

In some ways it is a shame that Charles Gray portrayed Blofeld. I think that,had he been a completely different, original villain (he'd have been a wonderful Drax or Stromberg) he would have been held in much higher regard. Sadly he will always be seen as a lighter, camper Blofeld when compared to Donald Pleasance or Telly Savalas

I agree with you 100% hilly. It's a shame he couldn't have been a new villain entirely, and I am sure he could have been listed as one of the better baddies, rather than just one of the Blofelds.