1078 replies to this topic

#1021 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:57 PM

1h 45m in: http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b041trdw , writer Chris Lunt (ITV's 'Prey') explains that he's off to start work on a script for another attempt at The Saint with a writer from Silent Witness. They're hoping to shoot in the UK and Europe and around the world and with less of an Americanized feel than last year's flop of a pilot, ideally with a UK broadcaster attached.

What's the hit rate like on The Saint? I think you'd have to say that most adaptations are rubbish, aren't they? Two or three good ones out of eight or nine?

#1022 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

1h 45m in: http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b041trdw , writer Chris Lunt (ITV's 'Prey') explains that he's off to start work on a script for another attempt at The Saint with a writer from Silent Witness. They're hoping to shoot in the UK and Europe and around the world and with less of an Americanized feel than last year's flop of a pilot, ideally with a UK broadcaster attached.

What's the hit rate like on The Saint? I think you'd have to say that most adaptations are rubbish, aren't they? Two or three good ones out of eight or nine?

Why is it a flop?

Who has seen it after all?

#1023 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:19 PM

The US networks also famously passed on ITC's Saint back in Moore's day... this was before syndication tramped all over whatver was being networked at the time and so there was a reversal of decision.

Do pilots that aren't picked up ever see the light of day?  Is there a dumping ground for such product?

As for hit rates, my opinion is that as time marched on, so did the distance increase from that which was anything to do with Charteris.  My favourites to this day in terms of characterisation are the 1930s and 40s films.  Moore's advantage was that all the Charteris short stories were used as foundation until the colour series kicked off and had to create from scratch.  The less said about all that followed, the better.

#1024 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

Why is it a flop?

Who has seen it after all?

No-one saw it. That's why it's a flop! :)

#1025 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

Surely a flop is a considered result post cross sectional exposure to and review of the product.

The Saint pilot, and any other unseen pilot or piece of work, is just a work in-waiting.

Do pilots not picked up ever get shown?

#1026 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

Do pilots not picked up ever get shown?

Yes, no idea why though.

#1027 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

Surely a flop is a considered result post cross sectional exposure to and review of the product.

The Saint pilot, and any other unseen pilot or piece of work, is just a work in-waiting.

Or 'failure'. Hey; I'm only quoting the writer when I use the word 'flop'.

If the guys behind it considered it a 'work in waiting' then they wouldn't be canning it and trying a new approach.

#1028 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

Lol - fair play.

#1029 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

The Saint has always had a sporadic hit rate; for every decent film (like The Saint in New York) there's the unintentional comedy of The Saint's Double Trouble. For any of the Vincent Price radio series, there was the Barrier and Aherne shows, which lasted a season each (and pretty much had Charteris at the helm as well). For any of Roger Moore's shows there's the Andrew Clarke pilot. 

Chris has already said on another public forum that calling Adam's pilot a flop was a mistake. But in some ways he's right, after all no series resulted from it, there the pilot failed and could reasonably be called a flop. But I think it's harsh to term it such, for whilst it struggled in the UK and US international reaction to it was great--it was the producer's (understandable) choice not to greenlight it since we hadn't got a UK or US network on board.

Will you get to see it? Probably in some form, for it wasn't cheap to produce. But where and when I just can't say yet.

#1030 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:33 AM

Good to hear from you Ian. It's also good to hear that despite the setbacks, the determined efforts to bring The Saint back to TV continue unabated. Personally I'm disappointed we won't get to see an Adam Rayner led series, but I guess that opens the door to other casting possibilities. Chris Lunt has said that the search is on for a "Roger Moore type character" but obviously they don't grow on trees so I'll be fascinated where you go next. Imo the number of established Brit actors who could play the role is very small. I can think of only four or five and they are arguably either too big, too old or too committed to other time consuming TV series. Best of luck to you. 

#1031 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:50 PM

The Saint has always had a sporadic hit rate; for every decent film (like The Saint in New York) there's the unintentional comedy of The Saint's Double Trouble. For any of the Vincent Price radio series, there was the Barrier and Aherne shows, which lasted a season each (and pretty much had Charteris at the helm as well). For any of Roger Moore's shows there's the Andrew Clarke pilot. 

Chris has already said on another public forum that calling Adam's pilot a flop was a mistake. But in some ways he's right, after all no series resulted from it, there the pilot failed and could reasonably be called a flop. But I think it's harsh to term it such, for whilst it struggled in the UK and US international reaction to it was great--it was the producer's (understandable) choice not to greenlight it since we hadn't got a UK or US network on board.

Will you get to see it? Probably in some form, for it wasn't cheap to produce. But where and when I just can't say yet.

Thanks Ian for the information given.

#1032 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

Any further news on The Saint film project?

#1033 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

Not really, we're all busy writing various aspects of it...first deadline is in around four weeks...

#1034 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:17 PM

http://www.radiotime...drama-the-saint

The Saint – otherwise known as the Saville Row-clad righter-of-wrongs Simon Templar – is to be reborn.
An ITV pilot will revive the scourge of international bad guys, originally invented by Leslie Charteris and played from 1962 to 1969 by Roger Moore before he became James Bond.
In fact, the pilot episode should be ready to film next year, says Ed Whitmore who is writing the new drama with Chris Lunt – the writer behind the John Simm drama Prey.

#1035 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:25 PM

Sounds rather vague, but the mention of ITV sounds positive. I'd like to hear it from them, though.

#1036 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:39 AM

I'd like to see The Saint back on the telly, whether it's the old Roger Moore & Ian Ogilvy series, or that short lived series with Simon Dutton. I'm a Saint fan. Wasn't there some sort of pilot show being made around 2012/13? - I recall seeing a trailer for it on YouTube, and Roger Moore was in it, amongst others, though obviously not as Templar any more.

Is the above anything to do with that?

#1037 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:28 AM

This thread should probably be merged with the one long time existing Saint thread that discusses all this.

Also, Ian Dickerson probably subscribes to that thread as, whenever something pops up, he is quick to respond.

#1038 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:15 AM

Well it had to be itv's turn eventually. Hope they crack it, or at least do a better job than they did on their CI5: The New Professionals reboot that they made us suffer back in the late 90s.

#1039 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:07 PM

http://www.digitalsp...-new-series.htm

#1040 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:51 PM

Topics merged.

#1041 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:42 PM

I'd like to see The Saint back on the telly, whether it's the old Roger Moore & Ian Ogilvy series, or that short lived series with Simon Dutton. I'm a Saint fan. Wasn't there some sort of pilot show being made around 2012/13? - I recall seeing a trailer for it on YouTube, and Roger Moore was in it, amongst others, though obviously not as Templar any more.

Is the above anything to do with that?

Some of the key personnel are the same but the lead writers are not.

#1042 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:52 PM

JCRendle beat me to it...

#1043 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

Beat you to it, Dustin ;)

#1044 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:59 PM

Ah, sorry! Better luck next time... ;)

#1045 Sharpe

Sharpe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:43 AM

Any word on the completed pilot release? Still keen to see it, despite it not being picked up for a series.

An ITV series sounds great, assuming they pick the right man for the lead.

#1046 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:29 PM

Any word on... anything?

#1047 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:42 PM

The Saint on the Radio; out and available on Amazon or direct from Radio Spirits.

The Saint; currently in development for ITV. If you don't follow Chris Lunt on Twitter you should, for you'd discover things like it's a sequel that he's nearly finished outlining...

Charteris Biography; a full and detailed biography of Leslie Charteris should be published in the New Year.

The Saint in the Movies: currently being written

The Saint in the Comics: a full and detailed history of the Saint's career in comics is currently being written.

There is lots of other stuff going on, but none yet so fully formed as these...

#1048 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:40 PM

The Saint on the Radio; out and available on Amazon or direct from Radio Spirits.

The Saint; currently in development for ITV. If you don't follow Chris Lunt on Twitter you should, for you'd discover things like it's a sequel that he's nearly finished outlining...

Charteris Biography; a full and detailed biography of Leslie Charteris should be published in the New Year.

The Saint in the Movies: currently being written

The Saint in the Comics: a full and detailed history of the Saint's career in comics is currently being written.

There is lots of other stuff going on, but none yet so fully formed as these...

Will your previous released book on the Saint in tv still see a release?

#1049 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:52 AM

Great round up sir.  Thank you.

And yes, as I was reasding your update, I was about ask after your unfortunately published and supported Saint in TV book.  And if so, if it would sport a cover similar to your Radio book and the Charteris releases?

All the best for your many endeavours - am looking forward to all.  Just bought the 'Radio' book.

Also, am suprised you update this forum thread before your LeslieCharteris News page... 

But many thanks all the same.

#1050 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:02 PM

Great round up sir.  Thank you.

And yes, as I was reasding your update, I was about ask after your unfortunately published and supported Saint in TV book.  And if so, if it would sport a cover similar to your book and the Charteris releases?

All the best for you many endeavours - am looking forward to all.  Just bought the 'Radio' book.

Also, am suprised you update this forum thread before your LeslieCharteris News page... 

But many thanks all the same.

Yeah...I suffered a hard drive crash a few weeks ago and really must get round to reinstalling Dreamweaver. Thanks for the reminder.

And yes, I will be updating the Saint on TV at some stage. I suspect it'll happen to coincide with the ITV project ;-)