23 replies to this topic

#1 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

So Bond wins it all and Felix asked to keep the whole amount and winnings to the CIA.. then if Felix has the money what exactly is Vesper depositing in the account? (when Mr. Mendel arrives to Bond's resting area).

And at the end Mr. White is leaving with the money that was (?) in Gettler's briefcase..

So where exactly is the money?

#2 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:46 PM

So Bond wins it all and Felix asked to keep the whole amount and winnings to the CIA.. then if Felix has the money what exactly is Vesper depositing in the account? (when Mr. Mendel arrives to Bond's resting area).

And at the end Mr. White is leaving with the money that was (?) in Gettler's briefcase..

The Americans get Le Chiffre, Bond keeps the money. Felix actually says "Does it look like we need the money?" meaning Bond gets to keep what he wins.

Mr. White is leaving with the briefcase Vesper gave to Gettler which has Bond's winnings inside.

#3 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

The Americans get Le Chiffre, Bond keeps the money. Felix actually says "Does it look like we need the money?" meaning Bond gets to keep what he wins.

Mr. White is leaving with the briefcase Vesper gave to Gettler which has Bond's winnings inside.

Ah I see!! stupid me! Thank you, Matt_13 :(

#4 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

Exactly.
Or, in Pierce Brosnan's words, "The winner taaaaaaakes it aaaaaaall..." :) :(

#5 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:12 AM

... which is why Mr. White doesn't kill Bond after killing Le Chiffre. He spares both Bond and Vesper because one has the account number and the other the password. White needs both. Mathis wonders about this when he says, "It's almost as if someone we're trying to tell us something."

But I was wondering about this as I rewatched CR in the run up to QoS. Le Chiffre is dead, the Africans are dead, so Mr. White gets an extra $100 million for his organization.

"Our government will have directly financed terrorism." Everything about the mission ends in failure ... until Bond gets Vesper's text message. But it's still a dark ending.

... but I was meaning to ask, when M and the "lovely man from the treasury" ask Bond about the money, are they referring to the $10 million buy-in or the entire pot of winnings?

Were Bond and Vesper planning on vacationing with the rest of the pot once he resigns?

#6 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:31 AM

... but I was meaning to ask, when M and the "lovely man from the treasury" ask Bond about the money, are they referring to the $10 million buy-in or the entire pot of winnings?

Were Bond and Vesper planning on vacationing with the rest of the pot once he resigns?

Ah! Interesting question :)
I guess that the "lovely man from the treasury" was asking about the entire pot of winnings (since Bond didn't play with his own money, but as an assignment and with the government's money, I guess the Treasury would ask for everything he won - just as they wouldn't have asked him to repay them if he had lost)?
But you are right, Bond and Vesper in Venice act pretty much as if they have unlimited means... maybe they were indeed planning to keep the pot (after all, it was money from CIA, not from HM Treasury, and according to Felix Leiter, the CIA "doesn't look like they need the money" :().
Of course, with Mr White getting away with all the money, it doesn't work anymore, but letting Bond keep the pot (or at least a part of the pot) would have been a good way to explain why, later in the series, he seems to live far above the average level of income of a "simple civil servant" :)

#7 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:55 AM

I always thought the "Does it look like we need the money" phrase was sarcasm and he actually wanted everything.

And when Bond and Vesper are in Venice, he said that he had plenty but I assumed it was from his own money and what he won from Dimitrios.

#8 Joey Bond

Joey Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:16 AM

I always thought the "Does it look like we need the money" phrase was sarcasm and he actually wanted everything.

I've actually always thought the line referred to Bond and Felix, who are agents and don't need the money. Never occured to me until now that it referred to the CIA.

#9 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

I've actually always thought the line referred to Bond and Felix, who are agents and don't need the money. Never occured to me until now that it referred to the CIA.

The humor of Felix’s line lies in the fact that’s it’s totally self-deprecating. He’s saying “Look Bond, obviously the CIA doesn’t need the money, otherwise they wouldn’t have sent a floundering poker player like me to win.”

#10 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:45 PM

I took it and have spent most of it buying shoes.

#11 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

I took it and have spent most of it buying shoes.

An obvious homage to Bond's line to Quarrel in DN.

#12 Goldbadge

Goldbadge

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:52 AM

But when M calls about the treasury man, why did Bond act so surprised and angry, saying "I didn't think you'd miss it", and then run off after Vesper? That whole money thing still confounds me to this day. After all, Bond lost HMS money, and won it all using the CIA money, so why would M even be calling? I'd be like, screw you, your treasury agent wouldn't let me re-buy so I got free money from the CIA and won with it, so it's all mine now, and F you I'm retiring..lol. If someone can succinctly explain the whole money thing I'd be glad to hear it.
G

#13 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:27 AM

But when M calls about the treasury man, why did Bond act so surprised and angry, saying "I didn't think you'd miss it", and then run off after Vesper? That whole money thing still confounds me to this day. After all, Bond lost HMS money, and won it all using the CIA money, so why would M even be calling? I'd be like, screw you, your treasury agent wouldn't let me re-buy so I got free money from the CIA and won with it, so it's all mine now, and F you I'm retiring..lol. If someone can succinctly explain the whole money thing I'd be glad to hear it.

He thought Vesper had already deposited the winnings; M says otherwise, which makes it click in Bond's mind, and he goes after Vesper.

#14 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:21 PM

My understanding as well. It was supposed to be deposited in the Treasury account that Vesper had the funds in to start with. Bond assumed it was there until M called looking for. Vesper had just received a message from her employer, so it was a real surprise when M says her employer is in her office looking for the money. This starts Bond's investigation and following of Vesper.

#15 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:11 AM

G

It's not as simple as that. Bond received the CIA's buy-in money in the course of his employment for MI-6. It wasn't a personal gift, and he wasn't free simply to keep anything he won as a windfall. When he heard that the money hadn't been deposited, his offhand reply, "I didn't think they'd miss it" was intended to buy him time while he sorted out what had happened. At that point, he couldn't really believe that Vesper had betrayed him, and so he called Mendel in a hopeful attempt to establish that the money had really been properly transferred. Upon learning otherwise, Bond knew what Vesper had done, and he went looking for her.

#16 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:47 AM

Bond saying "I didn't think they'd miss it" was just him trying to keep his cool, because yelling "that psycho @#$!@# treacherous b!tch" in your boss's ear just isn't polite.

#17 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:40 PM

Bond saying "I didn't think they'd miss it" was just him trying to keep his cool, because yelling "that psycho @#$!@# treacherous b!tch" in your boss's ear just isn't polite.

Very true.

#18 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:59 PM

But it would have been satisfyingly funny.

#19 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:26 AM

But it would have been satisfyingly funny.

True. But of course, at that point, he was still hoping Vesper was innocent.

#20 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:44 PM

Okay, good point. Could have directed it toward M, though. "You lying treacherous !@#$%! You said I could keep the money! Oh wait, that was Leiter. Uhhh, love you, M"

#21 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:35 PM

“Look Bond, obviously the CIA doesn’t need the money, otherwise they wouldn’t have sent a floundering poker player like me to win.”

Felix Leiter was a "floundering" poker player? He managed to last until the second night of the tournament, unlike most of the players.

#22 B. Brown

B. Brown

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 477 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:11 PM

Try the novel, instead.

#23 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:14 PM

Try the novel, instead.

He sticks the cheque under the door plaque in the novel! That doesn't explain anything! B)

#24 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

Chances are that Quantum got it.