9 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:03 PM

Just watched Quantum of Solace and i've picked up on something quite interesting.

During the Opera Meeting...

"I'm still not sure the Tierra Project is the best use of Quantums time"

"Maybe we should shift our focus to the canadian"

"This is the worlds most precious resource, we need to control as much of it as we can... bolivia must be top priority"

"Can I offer an opinion? I think you people should find a better place to meet"

Firstly, the canadian is most definatly Corrine, right? Which I thought was a sweet reference and very subtle.

Plus, the thing that really sticks out for me is that Greene has no trouble in persuading Quantum to go ahead with his plans. Even though they want to go after Corrine.

So Is Greene higher up than we think?

#2 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:04 PM

Good ears.

Interesting how Quantum expressed doubts of the project and Greene badgered them to go along with it. Now that this thing has fallen through, they will be pleased to move onto other things.

#3 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:50 PM

He was no more than a Largo equivalent, perhaps even not quite that high up, but he was assassinated by them at any rate in the desert so he's replaceable.

#4 sorking

sorking

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:11 PM

He was no more than a Largo equivalent, perhaps even not quite that high up, but he was assassinated by them at any rate in the desert so he's replaceable.

That's a wholly reasonable comparison. Like Largo, he's upper-management enough to instigate massive, global plans...but he does have to get the organisation's approval to go ahead.

If this were SPECTRE, it'd be Blofeld-style figurehead > departmental/area heads > their key henchmen > various unnamed cannon-fodder.

My take on Quantum is that it's more likely to be a collective with no one leader, but rather a series of high-ups who collaborate. But that'll ultimately be decided by dramatic necessity - what story they want to tell next.

I love the little Canadian mention at the Opera. I'd bet good money that it was a post-production idea - something ADR'd on once the ending was decided upon, as I don't think we see the speaker - and it's exactly how good filmmaker should work. It's subtle, ties things together, adds a layer to the re-watch.

#5 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:46 PM

When I first saw the movie on the midnight viewing I thought I heard "Canadian operation" through the crackle. But by the movie's end and on second viewing on the Friday evening, it fell into place and I heard "Canadian" which, to me, meant Corrine.

#6 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

Just watched Quantum of Solace and i've picked up on something quite interesting.

During the Opera Meeting...

"I'm still not sure the Tierra Project is the best use of Quantums time"

"This is the worlds most precious resource, we need to control as much of it as we can... bolivia must be top priority"

"Can I offer an opinion? I think you people should find a better place to meet"

Firstly, the canadian is most definatly Corrine, right? Which I thought was a sweet reference and very subtle.

Plus, the thing that really sticks out for me is that Greene has no trouble in persuading Quantum to go ahead with his plans. Even though they want to go after Corrine.

So Is Greene higher up than we think?

Actually, we hear a reference even earlier. When Bond first begins listening in on the conversation, someone -- not sure who -- mentions Canadian intelligence. It's amidst a fair bit of crackle and hiss, but it's there.

Yes, I agree with you that the Canadian would most likely be Corinne.

I did find it interesting that they all seemed to be heading in the direction of pursuing the Canadian angle, but then Greene persuaded them to stick with his Tierra Project. I'm not sure what, exactly, that means in terms of his placement in the Quantum hierarchy.

Edited by byline, 20 December 2008 - 04:55 PM.

#7 Forward Look

Forward Look

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts
  • Location:Atlanta, Georgia USA - home of the 1996 Summer Olympic Games

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:44 AM

It looked like a different woman to me at that opera meeting. Her face looked different, her hair was longer and curled, and she was wearing thick glasses. If that actually was Corinne, she disguised herself well enough for me to not notice.

#8 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:48 AM

That isn't Corrine.

I only said she was mentioned at the opera.

:(

#9 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:24 AM

http://debrief.comma...showtopic=51559

#10 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

It looked like a different woman to me at that opera meeting. Her face looked different, her hair was longer and curled, and she was wearing thick glasses. If that actually was Corinne, she disguised herself well enough for me to not notice.

The other poster and I are not saying that was Corinne, but that she (meaning the Canadian intelligence agent) was mentioned by Greene and the other Quantum associates at the opera.