#1 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:03 PM

What should happen now?

I think there could be a new series of books centered around when Bond joins the Royal Navy. Book one could be the start of James' naval career after graduating Fettes. Other books could include where he rises to the rank of Commander and possibly showcasing how he earns his 00 status.

Feel free to share your ideas.

Edited by TheREAL008, 10 December 2008 - 07:04 PM.

#2 Eurospy

Eurospy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:30 PM

That would be rather interesting.

#3 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

I think a WW2 Bond thriller is definitely the way to go, but there's a lot of room now between where we left Bond in By Royal Command and WW2. He's still got all of Fettes. Wouldn't mind just a book or so connecting those dots. I don't think it needs to be as long as the Eton series though.

#4 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:56 PM

I think a WW2 Bond thriller is definitely the way to go, but there's a lot of room now between where we left Bond in By Royal Command and WW2. He's still got all of Fettes. Wouldn't mind just a book or so connecting those dots. I don't think it needs to be as long as the Eton series though.

While I agree with you, I don’t think it needs to be in order. If they give me the WWII now and the Fettes later, I’d be happy.

#5 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:05 AM

While I agree with you, I don’t think it needs to be in order. If they give me the WWII now and the Fettes later, I’d be happy.

I do agree with you, Mr *, but if it's Higgy continuing, I'd like to see him pick up where he left off (or shortly thereafter) rather than have another author fill in the gaps if Higgy writes about War Bond.

#6 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:12 AM

I'd like to see him pick up where he left off

So would I. It makes a whole lot of sense to continue straight after, and it would remove that air of confusion for some readers. I think Higson would also prefer to get his mind in order of the chronological events, instead of shuffling around.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:08 AM

I'm down for 5 more Young Bond books set in Fettes. Do them now before I hit 50 and outgrow them. :(

#8 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:29 AM

But what if the time at Fettes was a low key time for Bond?

#9 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:31 AM

I'm down for 5 more Young Bond books set in Fettes. Do them now before I outgrow them. :(

I don't see myself ever outgrowing Young Bond (whatever form he may take). Higgy's books are as timeless as Fleming's (and ageless to boot!).

Funny, though, I've kind of imagined seeing Higson coming back and doing a Fettes trilogy. Not sure he'd have another five books in him; though, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

#10 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:57 AM

Higson or somebody else would see to it that it became busy.

#11 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:27 AM

That was actually a criticism of mine early on in the series. It's kind of hard to work this in, but Bond was away so damn much on his adventures it didn't feel like he learned a thing. Even when he was there, Higson didn't write about it at all. Funny because of how it kind of centers around a school.

So yeah, it would be nice for him to have a rather low key moment in his life. That's why I said in my earlier post that it should be a smaller series just to connect the dots.

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:24 PM

If you look at the obit, there is more info about Fettes than Eton, and it sounds pretty exciting. Bond founds Fettes first judo club, fights for the school as a light-weight... I did a speculative article about the possibility of a Series II set at Fettes HERE.

#13 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:19 PM

Thanks Zencat.

I finished Blood Fever yesterday and I loved every minute of it. Whereas Silverfin seemed to me to be a rough introduction to the series, Blood Fever proved to me to be VERY Fleming'esque in style and prose.

I'm starting to believe that Higson is possibly the closest author to resemble Fleming to date. It's a shame he wasn't considered to write Devil May Care.

Starting Double or Die today and will post my thoughts about it later on.

However I pose a different kind of question. Dark recently started a thread about the subject of Higson's non Bond works where his first sentence was looking forward to Higson's other Bond related work, my sole question is how do we even know if Charlie will be writing anything else?

#14 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:28 PM

However I pose a different kind of question. Dark recently started a thread about the subject of Higson's non Bond works where his first sentence was looking forward to Higson's other Bond related work, my sole question is how do we even know if Charlie will be writing anything else?

Well, we don't. But all indications seem to be that Charlie is not yet done with Bond. Check out the last part of zencat's recent interview.

#15 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:36 PM

Just read it. I'm defenately crossing my fingers that he does get to continue on.

#16 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:32 PM

I have my fingers and toes crossed that Charlie will write more Young Bond. I first thought how can the man that brought Swiss Tony or Ted and Ralph and Suits you Sir to the small screen ever write a Bond book? And one that is good? He proved me wrong on every count. And the series has proved to be better than good.

#17 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

Funny, though, I've kind of imagined seeing Higson coming back and doing a Fettes trilogy.

Aha! I knew I was onto something!

#18 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

Funny, though, I've kind of imagined seeing Higson coming back and doing a Fettes trilogy.

Aha! I knew I was onto something!

You surely had a vision there. I'd have bet good money (if at all, that is) Higson would have picked up with Bond volunteering in '39. Seems you are right with anticipating Fettes-Bond.

#19 Gogol Pushkin

Gogol Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:20 PM

It's great to hear that another series is being considered. Personally I loved Charlie's books, he managed to write a superb series of books for kids without sacrificing the Fleming style, that is quite an achievement. Action packed, intelligent and managing to be both entertaining for kids and adults without sacrificing any enjoyment for either section of the audience. This guy knows what he is doing.