90 replies to this topic

#31 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:45 PM

I'd be scared to see you music collections if this is a sign of it, yes I am a music snob.

Simple "snobbery" doesn't excuse it I'm afraid; you have an incredibly unpleasent and adolescent attitude to other people's music tastes. Do be nice.

EDIT: Actually I'm being very rude and probably a bit tough on you, and I apologise, and I can totally understand your passionate fevor when it comes to music, and from protecting the Bond series from the dregs of MOR (and I like some MOR!). But still, lets be civil.

#32 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

A recent conversation has reminded me of a great band who could have done a fantastic Bond song: Suede. An unusual choice, I know, but it could have been soooooooo good. I expect to get flamed for this.

God no, I love Suede, one of the best bands ever IMO, and one who I thankfully managed to see live not long before they broke up. And there's member called dogmanstar, so I imagine that's one other person who'll agree :(

I've heard Anderson's solo stuff is lackluster (though I liked the one song I've heard) but I still think he'd be a good choice.

#33 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:08 PM

A recent conversation has reminded me of a great band who could have done a fantastic Bond song: Suede. An unusual choice, I know, but it could have been soooooooo good. I expect to get flamed for this.

God no, I love Suede, one of the best bands ever IMO, and one who I thankfully managed to see live not long before they broke up. And there's member called dogmanstar, so I imagine that's one other person who'll agree :(

I've heard Anderson's solo stuff is lackluster (though I liked the one song I've heard) but I still think he'd be a good choice.

It's ok, my passion can border on unpleasant but I wear the music snobbery badge with pride.

As for Suede, I saw them just after Bernard had left at the eve of the Dogman Star tour at Wolverhampton Civic hall and Richard Oakes had just joined to replace the mighty Butler

Ok he was'nt Butler but for a 17 year old kid he was amazing and Brett was just awesome, he commanded the stage and DMS has always been my fav Suede album , ironic really considering it's the only Suede studio album I don't own on vinyl apart from New Morning whichwasn't released on vinyl as far as I know.

The debut very impressive and Coming Up was a brave rebirth of new line up withot Butler's monumental contribution. Not sure about Head Music and new Morning was Ok but for a moment they were one of the most exciting bands the UK had to offer and I'll take them over those arrogant manc up starts anyday!

Yeah suede in their prime would have rocked a Bond theme tune, I'd love to see what Mcalmont & Butler would do as well.

Edited by bond 16.05.72, 10 January 2009 - 09:12 PM.

#34 Ghostboy

Ghostboy

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

KINGS OF LEON!
Think about it, the lead singer's gritty voice is perfect for a Bond theme. Kings of Leon need to sing Bond 23's theme song!
Or Radiohead.
Or Bloc Party
Or Editors
but i prefer KOL!

#35 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:05 PM

i am all for muse or depeche mode doing a bond song. maybe even radiohead could do a decent one.

#36 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:12 PM

The Killer's or Chris Cornell again, but assuming they go for new The Killers, in the style of Somebody Told Me

#37 BOND. J

BOND. J

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:04 PM

Muse / Rage Against The Machine

#38 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:46 PM

It would have been cool to listen to a Bond movie soundtrack supervised by Miles Davis.

#39 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:04 PM

The Clash, The Stranglers, Who, The Doors, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus, Jam, ABC, The Police.

#40 singleentendre

singleentendre

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:13 PM

I would have loved to have seen Garbage back since TWINE is my second favorite Bond theme (Because, really, nobody does it better than Nobody Does It Better.) and one of my favorite songs ever.

Bruce Springsteen could have been a good choice imo.

As for today, I do think Rihanna could have done a great theme. Unfortunately, starting with the whole Chris Brown incident and beyond, public opinion of her has shifted and she's more of a media target than a beloved like she used to be. I don't think she's that viable an option anymore, but you never know.
Pink's a really strong singer, but as some pointed out she's more of a feminist than anything and might not want to do a Bond theme.

A more out there choice I think could work is Saving Abel.

#41 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:46 PM

I think Metallica could whip up a great tune, as well as Megadeth. I've always wanted to see some Metal intrude into the title songs, just to spice things up a bit. Not sure how that'd play to the mainstreamers though.

#42 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:00 PM

Had Freddie Mercury been alive, no voice would have been more fitting for a Bond theme.

Suggesting a dead artist makes this a rather useless addition, but heck.

#43 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:02 PM

Had Freddie Mercury been alive, no voice would have been more fitting for a Bond theme.

I'm in agreement with you, buddy; imagine a Bond theme with Mercury's vocals! Electrifying! B)

#44 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

Marilyn Manson
50 Cent
NERD
Les Negresses Vertes
NE-YO
Arctic Monkeys
Dolly Parton
Eddie Murphy
Deaf Mute
Kiri Te Kanewa
Doe Maar
Miley Cyrus
Mogwai
Boston
Chicago
REO Speedwagon
Supertramp
The Strokes
Jay-Z
Fluffy Thunders
Kid Rock
The Jonas Brothers
AC/DC

#45 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:35 PM

I'm not sure why all the focus on bands or songwriters on this thread;
as somebody previously mentioned, the best Bond songs were written by songwriters (often of musicals) alongside the composer (Usually JB);
Thats what the producers need to get back to; Let Arnold write the music and pick a first class lyricist (I'd have Tim Rice back any day) then bring in a great vocalist, not just a rock star or a band.
The sound should be all Arnolds, the voice distinctive.
Duffy, Amy Winehouse, Kelly Clarkson or George Michael could all do a great job and give a classy, jazzy feel to the song.

#46 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:39 PM

Brand Nubian

Buju Banton

Burning Spear

Junior Byles

Papa Levi

Sizzla

#47 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

Marilyn Manson
50 Cent
NERD
Les Negresses Vertes
NE-YO
Arctic Monkeys
Dolly Parton
Eddie Murphy
Deaf Mute
Kiri Te Kanewa
Doe Maar
Miley Cyrus
Mogwai
Boston
Chicago
REO Speedwagon
Supertramp
The Strokes
Jay-Z
Fluffy Thunders
Kid Rock
The Jonas Brothers
AC/DC

You missed off Goldfrapp. But with you all the way on Marilyn Manson. That covers album he did was amazing

#48 Marcato

Marcato

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:56 PM

- "We Have All The Time In The World" by Louis Armstrong (he sounds sound like hes was vomiting his lung up and had a sore throat...bad singer, great lyrics)

I'm not sure if he could help that, SINCE HE WAS DYING AT THAT POINT.

AND YET he managed to stay alive for another two year B)

#49 00Jaws

00Jaws

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:46 AM

Marilyn Manson
50 Cent
NERD
Les Negresses Vertes
NE-YO
Arctic Monkeys
Dolly Parton
Eddie Murphy
Deaf Mute
Kiri Te Kanewa
Doe Maar
Miley Cyrus
Mogwai
Boston
Chicago
REO Speedwagon
Supertramp
The Strokes
Jay-Z
Fluffy Thunders
Kid Rock
The Jonas Brothers
AC/DC

B) :tdown: :tdown:

#50 Ghostboy

Ghostboy

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:50 AM

Marilyn Manson
50 Cent
NERD
Les Negresses Vertes
NE-YO
Arctic Monkeys
Dolly Parton
Eddie Murphy
Deaf Mute
Kiri Te Kanewa
Doe Maar
Miley Cyrus
Mogwai
Boston
Chicago
REO Speedwagon
Supertramp
The Strokes
Jay-Z
Fluffy Thunders
Kid Rock
The Jonas Brothers
AC/DC

The Jonas Brothers?Miley Cyrus? Seriously? The James Bond franchise doesn't target 11 year-old girls!
How one can put Mogwai in the same list as the Jonas bros. or Miley absolutely discombobulates me. :-)

#51 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:10 AM

Brand Nubian

Buju Banton

Burning Spear

Junior Byles

Papa Levi

Sizzla

B)

:tdown:

#52 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:16 AM

Depeche Mode

Duffy

Amy Winehouse

Adele

#53 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

Marilyn Manson
50 Cent
NERD
Les Negresses Vertes
NE-YO
Arctic Monkeys
Dolly Parton
Eddie Murphy
Deaf Mute
Kiri Te Kanewa
Doe Maar
Miley Cyrus
Mogwai
Boston
Chicago
REO Speedwagon
Supertramp
The Strokes
Jay-Z
Fluffy Thunders
Kid Rock
The Jonas Brothers
AC/DC

The Jonas Brothers?Miley Cyrus? Seriously? The James Bond franchise doesn't target 11 year-old girls!
How one can put Mogwai in the same list as the Jonas bros. or Miley absolutely discombobulates me. :-)

Je m'excuse. I did not make it clear. I was hoping ALL these artists would group together to sing one Bond song. Like We Are The World. Each of the artists could have a line of the song. Think of how many it would sell. And the press. And the radio-play. And it would target all demographics. And maybe, to persuade them, they could all have a part in the film too. Perhaps Madonna could write it. Neat, huh?

#54 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:06 AM

Marilyn Manson
50 Cent
NERD
Les Negresses Vertes
NE-YO
Arctic Monkeys
Dolly Parton
Eddie Murphy
Deaf Mute
Kiri Te Kanewa
Doe Maar
Miley Cyrus
Mogwai
Boston
Chicago
REO Speedwagon
Supertramp
The Strokes
Jay-Z
Fluffy Thunders
Kid Rock
The Jonas Brothers
AC/DC

How do you know that the Jonas Brothers won't become the new Beach Boys or Beatles? A few years from now, they may be experimenting with sitars, backwards guitars and drum loops and coming up with modern equivalents of "Tomorrow Never Knows".

As for Miley Cyrus, you can be sure that her sound will change as her career shifts towards a more adult demographic. Apparently, David Gilmour of Pink Floyd was at some kind of music industry function with her recently and told reporters that he'd heard her playing guitar. "She reminds me of a young me," Gilmour told the press (sorry, I don't have a link to hand for this info, but I'm paraphrasing what I read), "with echoes of Clapton and Hendrix and perhaps just a touch of Slash." Personally, I think her playing is more like that of Rod Price from Foghat, or maybe Robin Trower, but, still.... It's also well known that Cyrus is an accomplished reggae toaster and dub-influenced bassist. Axl Rose briefly got her into one of the many lineups of Guns N' Roses before she hit the big time as Hanna Montana, and her guitar work can be heard on "Chinese Democracy" between 1.56 and 1.58 on "Shackler's Revenge".

#55 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:53 PM

I'm in agreement with you, buddy; imagine a Bond theme with Mercury's vocals! Electrifying! :tdown:

Yeah, the guy could sing anything, and had an even more powerful voice than the likes of Shirley Bassey or, *shudder*, Tom Jones, so he'd have been perfect. Alas, it was not to be. B)

Sorry ACE, but I think all your choices are completely wrong in every way, though there is a part of me that'd be kind of amused to see AC/DC give it a try. The lyrics would no doubt be about Bond's sex life ("Whole lotta Vesper"), his drinks and fast cars, and be called something like "Rock'n Roll Spy", "Sex, drugs and dry martinis", or "Agent of Rock".

#56 Ghostboy

Ghostboy

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:56 PM

Marilyn Manson
50 Cent
NERD
Les Negresses Vertes
NE-YO
Arctic Monkeys
Dolly Parton
Eddie Murphy
Deaf Mute
Kiri Te Kanewa
Doe Maar
Miley Cyrus
Mogwai
Boston
Chicago
REO Speedwagon
Supertramp
The Strokes
Jay-Z
Fluffy Thunders
Kid Rock
The Jonas Brothers
AC/DC

How do you know that the Jonas Brothers won't become the new Beach Boys or Beatles? A few years from now, they may be experimenting with sitars, backwards guitars and drum loops and coming up with modern equivalents of "Tomorrow Never Knows".

As for Miley Cyrus, you can be sure that her sound will change as her career shifts towards a more adult demographic. Apparently, David Gilmour of Pink Floyd was at some kind of music industry function with her recently and told reporters that he'd heard her playing guitar. "She reminds me of a young me," Gilmour told the press (sorry, I don't have a link to hand for this info, but I'm paraphrasing what I read), "with echoes of Clapton and Hendrix and perhaps just a touch of Slash." Personally, I think her playing is more like that of Rod Price from Foghat, or maybe Robin Trower, but, still.... It's also well known that Cyrus is an accomplished reggae toaster and dub-influenced bassist. Axl Rose briefly got her into one of the many lineups of Guns N' Roses before she hit the big time as Hanna Montana, and her guitar work can be heard on "Chinese Democracy" between 1.56 and 1.58 on "Shackler's Revenge".

I guess we'll have to let time tell. But for now, I'd say no thank you :-)

#57 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:32 PM

Marilyn Manson
50 Cent
NERD
Les Negresses Vertes
NE-YO
Arctic Monkeys
Dolly Parton
Eddie Murphy
Deaf Mute
Kiri Te Kanewa
Doe Maar
Miley Cyrus
Mogwai
Boston
Chicago
REO Speedwagon
Supertramp
The Strokes
Jay-Z
Fluffy Thunders
Kid Rock
The Jonas Brothers
AC/DC

I guess we'll have to let time tell. But for now, I'd say no thank you :-)

\

Love the line about GnR..very witty..

#58 007½

007½

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:33 PM

I always think it's surprising that they didn't get Frank Sinatra to sing one, especially since he was one of Sir Roger's friends (although so is almost every royal family in Europe other than the British, half the old acting profession, and every single other UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador).

Or Dean Martin. Either could have done FRWL fantastically, not that Matt Monroe did too shabbily.

Actually, I'd rather like it if they went back to a more traditional theme in future (ie, nice and slow, nice, catchy tune).

The Beatles would have been good, too.

#59 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:38 PM

No seriously, this times lack talent IMO.

I completely agree. For me, most of the bands that are currently making good music were also doing so back in the '70s, '80s, and '90s as well. There are currently so few truly great artists out there that, for me to come up with any artists that I'd like to see perform a Bond title song within the next few years, I really would have to step outside of the box and think in terms of the types of artists that we're really not used to having perform the title tracks.

Based on "current" artists, my suggestions for future title song performers would be:

Maroon 5 featuring Rihanna (I loved their collaboration on "If I Never See Your Face Again", and a similar sound would work great for a Bond title track)

Def Leppard featuring Taylor Swift (Yes, it's a very odd combination there, but had Def Leppard not released "When Love and Hate Collide" over a decade ago, their collaboration on the song with Swift would have been, IMO, the perfect title track for QUANTUM OF SOLACE. With that in mind, I'd be more than willing to have them take on an original title track)

P!nk (I like the current overall direction the title songs have been headed in, and I think that having a female artist perform a rock song would be a great move for BOND 23, and I think that P!nk would do a great job with it).

Joss Stone (An artist that is more in line with the traditional style of Bond title song. She's long been an artist that I'd like to have performing a title track.)

Duffy (For the same reasons as Joss Stone)

Lindsey Buckingham (Could deliver either a completely off-the-wall rock number for a more experimental title track, or could deliver a fantastic, but subdued acoustic number that could also work quite well)

#60 Forward Look

Forward Look

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts
  • Location:Atlanta, Georgia USA - home of the 1996 Summer Olympic Games

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:22 AM

Ten years from now, as an adult, mabye. Miley might even be a Bond girl as well, most likely with Daniel Craig's successor. Let's see what happens once she outgrows the Hannah Montana era.