553 replies to this topic

#61 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:52 PM

Bryce, a very impressing piece. Images and atmosphere aplenty. In less than 40 lines.

Very good! :(

I'll read the others on Boxing Day, big, no, I mean BIG promise...

#62 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:12 PM

Thank you everyone. Bryce, suitably bleak and "Klinkian" (and rather like I imagine the "other JB" spends Christmas). Joyce, haunting and wonderful. Harry-quite the spirit and style of Fleming (far better than that Faulks pretender) will you be continuing the story? Scrambled Eggs my friend, still laughing about Christmas with Clive. Jaguar, thanks for posting "For Yule Eyes Only". What wonderful Christmas presents to all us Bond fans. Merry Christmas, you've set the bar high for me next year.

#63 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the complements MHazard. As for continuing Loneliness is a lover I would love to continue it. Maybe one day, who knows. At the moment I'm writing TMBYD and it can be a pain in the butt sometimes but I'm going to try and stick in there and see where it takes me before I start anything else (If I start anything else that is). Anyway thanks for giving us a wonderful idea.

As for Joyce Carrington's piece: Simply wonderful writing!

The story was beautiful to say the least (I read it whilst listening to John Barry's Chaplin theme, Conney Island theme, My life - love theme and the Dunbar theme so you can imagine the mood it put me in, if you like Barry that is. I think it suited the setting exquisitely).

Keep up the good work everyone and let's make 2009 special!

Harry

#64 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

Reading Joyce Carrington's Dreaming Of is like eating a spoonful of Christmas pudding and biting down on the hidden farthing. It's so bleak it's kaelb. Very well done. It's quite a technical feat to write a Joyce Carrington story where Joyce doesn't say a word.

You'd appreciate that last sentence more if you knew the author. :(

Dreaming Of shows just how far one can go with fan fiction - it can even reach into those places you'd rather not think of at this festive time of year.

Thank you, JC. Apply the acronym as you see fit.

#65 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:24 AM

Sorry all, just didn't have time to finish mine. Next year!

#66 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:33 AM

Thanks Hitch, Bryce, Harry, MHazard.

I haven't had much time to read either. Christmas with Clive remains on my to-do list, but I read Loneliness is a Lover. Nice stuff, Harry, but you're a tease! It really feels like the story should continue.

Oh well.

Have a good New Year's Eve, everyone! :(

#67 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:17 PM

Harry -

Just got 'round to yours.

One word: Nice. :(

Getting to some of the others.

I'm watching OHMSS right now while replying to Christmas emails before 2009 hits us.

Some really fine work here everyone.

Yes, Christmas is the not the happiest time of year for a Double-O.

It can be entertaining though. Cheers all and a happy New Year.

Attached Files

#68 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:12 AM

Decided on something a bit more fun for all.

To quote Rod Serling: "Submitted for your approval...."

The familiar rap on the door caught Bryce's ear.

Matthew O'Shawnassey stood before him smiling with the bottle of Glenlivet 25 and the large parcel from Harrods. He also sported a festive red tartan scarf and a Santa hat.

"Beware of Greeks bearing gifts."

Bryce gestured him in and instantly seized the bottle from him. The chill of a cold London night was more than enough in the townhouse.

"I always thought you were Irish ya bastard."

"That's why I blame the Greeks."

"Don't let Lava hear you say that."

Bryce had a few candles burning along with a roaring fire. Matt slipped out of his coat and quickly moved to the bar cart. Bryce tended to the box from the food court.

A six pound glazed and smoked side of ham, four ounces of beluga, a half pound of scottish salmon and a jar of brandy marinated cherries. Yummy.

Matt moved into the kitchen handing Bryce a tumbler of the scotch. They toasted each other. Matt looked over the other skillets noticing the steamed green beans, garlic mashed sweet potatoes and, of most importance, the bacon wrapped four pound roast that sat in the crockery pot simmering in a sea of '72 merlot and a garlic reduction sauce.

"The ham will set this off nicely. Why don't you start off the toast for the caviar and I've got rolls in the oven." Matt did just that. It was amazing that both were able to have a quiet Christmas eve and even be in town. The company that would be joining them equally so.

"You did set the 'trap' at the front correct?"

Bryce grinned as he basted the roast, "Oh yes."

On that note, there was another tap at the door. Matt nodded and moved off with Bryce in toe. Both bundled and shivering, Lava Sterling and Joyce Carrington each stood with a bottle of wine. They stepped in and hugs were exchanged.

Both men stopped the ladies in their tracks once the door shut. Matt simply pointed up. The mistletoe hung from the light above the foyer.

Matt spoke first looking at Joyce, "Sorry, you're doomed."

Bryce followed taking Lava in his arms, "That means you too."

And to all a good night. :(

#69 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

New Year's Day

Something that got stuck somewhere between my ribs and my stomach. Quite late, I'm afraid. Not really a Christmas story. Not really a Bond story either. Next to no plot, no characters. Had to cut on my reading to get this going, so I'll comment on the other entries later on.

#70 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:52 PM

New Year's Day

Something that got stuck somewhere between my ribs and my stomach. Quite late, I'm afraid. Not really a Christmas story. Not really a Bond story either. Next to no plot, no characters. Had to cut on my reading to get this going, so I'll comment on the other entries later on.

Liked it quite a bit. Started out with a bit of a Hemmingway vibe, with the main character hiding from his past and present in a foreign country; very moody, without using too many modifiers, very well done. Very good that you hold off on where you're going, and who the protagonist is (the first person helps with this.) I won't spoiler it, but my only thought was that it would have been devilishly clever to clip it shorter without so much of a reveal at the end. This, by no means, is criticism though, it works great as it is. Thematically, I've some other kudos for you, but I wouldn't want to get into them until others have read this.

Great stories this year, everyone. Thank you for the wonderful Holiday gifts of your words.

Since we've brought this chestnut :( of a thread idea over from M16, maybe we should import Hitch's "Let's talk fan fiction..." thread as well. I guess I'd just like a thread here where we could talk about reading and writing FF in general.

#71 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:36 AM

Liked it quite a bit. Started out with a bit of a Hemmingway vibe, with the main character hiding from his past and present in a foreign country; very moody, without using too many modifiers, very well done. Very good that you hold off on where you're going, and who the protagonist is (the first person helps with this.)

Thanks a lot! Glad you liked it.

I won't spoiler it, but my only thought was that it would have been devilishly clever to clip it shorter without so much of a reveal at the end. This, by no means, is criticism though, it works great as it is.

Have to confess that I posted it extremely 'raw'. Next to no polish or second thoughts. It started growing when the idea of Christmas stories was mentioned, yet I didn't know if I'd write it (if I could write it) until yesterday afternoon. Yes, more stripping definitely would seem an option here...

Since we've brought this chestnut :( of a thread idea over from M16, maybe we should import Hitch's "Let's talk fan fiction..." thread as well. I guess I'd just like a thread here where we could talk about reading and writing FF in general.

I'll second that, very good idea.

#72 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:12 PM

Well done Trident :( :) :) ;) :D

#73 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:15 AM

New Year's Day

Liked it quite a bit. Started out with a bit of a Hemmingway vibe, with the main character hiding from his past and present in a foreign country; very moody, without using too many modifiers, very well done. Very good that you hold off on where you're going, and who the protagonist is (the first person helps with this.) I won't spoiler it, but my only thought was that it would have been devilishly clever to clip it shorter without so much of a reveal at the end. This, by no means, is criticism though, it works great as it is. Thematically, I've some other kudos for you, but I wouldn't want to get into them until others have read this.

Great stories this year, everyone. Thank you for the wonderful Holiday gifts of your words.

I didn't know this was a "chestnut of a thread" (perhaps a chestnut of a thread roasting on an open fire) when I started it, but I really like the idea of a general thread where we can discuss reading and writing fan fiction.

Also, nice additions, Trident and Bryce.

#74 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:05 PM

And so he finally sat down on his desk and started writing...

Cristmas With Clive

Scrambled Eggs, an absolutely lovely idea! Clive at first seemed to be a version of Grandpa Simpson, idlely chatting away one of his stories. But it turns out he's really a kind of Harry Flashman. And had a most interesting time when leaving the plane in Hong Kong. Most amusing. And I particularly liked the notion of the stick. And the FILTH moniker. Excellent! :(

Loneliness Is A Lover

Harry, another fine entry from you. I especially liked the second part of your story. If anything, I'd have liked it a little longer, with more room to show Bond's Christmas feelings and his initial reaction upon receiving the news from Japan. Would also have worked without the first part. And, as Joyce already mentioned, calls for a second helping where Bond faces his 'present'.

Dreaming Of

No, definitely not a happy tale. But awfully good written, no signs of lacking time. And perfectly fitting the emotional state of your heroine. Joyce, I'm really blown away by this. As far away from Dickens, chestnuts roasting and mistletoes as you can possibly get. Deeply touching. Disturbing. Everything a good story should be.

A damn fine piece and I envy you!

#75 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:01 PM

Finally, worst of all, in my room, feeling the stinging pain of ancient bruises, nursed with iodide. Phantom pain from wounds long since closed. Still bleeding under scar tissue and layers of time.

There were also times when I hated Molony for giving me back my memory. Often. Hated him like my worst enemy. But perhaps it would have come back either way, so there is no use in bemoaning what can’t be helped.

Now that is what I call beautiful writing !!!!

Harry Fawkes

#76 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:23 PM

Thank you, Harry! Glad, you liked it. Cheque's in the post. :(

#77 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:17 PM

Well, seems it's that time of the year again, isn't it? While going through the debris and chaos of my flat (different story, don't ask) looking for my Ratpack, Nutcracker and Peanuts X-mas CDs, I came across my notes for last years piece, which in turn reminded me of this thread.

Whoever hasn't read last years pieces I strongly urge to do so, as these are really some classy, touching, thrilling and generally most enjoyable stories. Particularly our guests and recent new members from Six may savour these fine stories I daresay.

Now the question is of course, will we see new entries this year? Have fellow members perhaps new ideas for this season? Actually, I feel something stirring, but am not sure if I'll be able to deliver.

Anyway, I thought I give this thread a hearty push.

#78 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

Hitch just challenged me.

I'm once again buried with schoolwork, but I do love this challenge - it's become a bit of a Christmas tradition for me. I'm not too excited about having dinner with my family, but writing bleak stories? Yes!

I hope I can find some time at the last minute.

Oh, and an idea of course... B)

#79 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:52 PM

Much appreciated, Joyce Carrington!

Pretty please, make it happen!

And thanks Hitch, for challenging! But don't expect you can escape your duty by delivering other victims... B)

EDIT: Harry, I see you lurking around here. There's a file waiting on your desk...

#80 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

Hi all. I don't know if this counts at all but I'm going to post the final chapter of Midas Gold for Xmas day. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with Xmas but if you're hungry for a touch of Bond ala Fan Fic then please be my guest - An epilogue will then be posted on New Years day.

As for me writing an Xmas Bond story, with Midas Gold on my plate that is off the list for me. Maybe next time. I will be reading what's out there though so please bring them on.

Harry

#81 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:11 PM

Hi all. I don't know if this counts at all but I'm going to post the final chapter of Midas Gold for Xmas day. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with Xmas but if you're hungry for a touch of Bond ala Fan Fic then please be my guest - An epilogue will then be posted on New Years day.

As for me writing an Xmas Bond story, with Midas Gold on my plate that is off the list for me. Maybe next time. I will be reading what's out there though so please bring them on.

Harry

Aw, shame, here I was hoping you might expand on your piece of last year. I would have loved to see Bond meeting his present. But of course your Midas Gold is every little bit as welcome. Keep the good work up!

#82 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

Harry

Aw, shame, here I was hoping you might expand on your piece of last year. I would have loved to see Bond meeting his present. But of course your Midas Gold is every little bit as welcome. Keep the good work up!

Thanks alot Trident:)

#83 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:58 AM

I crapped out last year on account of time, but I'm pleased to say I'll be giving it another go this week.

With any luck, The Knife Before Christmas will come this way around Christmas Eve.

#84 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:02 AM

I figured I would re-post the link to For Yule Eyes Only by my friend Steve Hess

#85 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:26 PM

Yesterday began with a good understanding of the week leading up to Christmas.
A couple of parties, an couple of days in work, a couple of prezzies to wrap up.
Hopefully a meeting of minds and martinis with Harry Fawkes.

...and then Trident asked if I would be interested in contributing with a little Bond Christmas story.

Chaos.

I have read last year's efforts and paled at the thought of putting together a short story, in which the character I know so well is thrust into an environment where we know nothing of his motivation.

I decided I was beat before I began.

Then I read this discussion. I was warmed by the spirit that ran through the days leading up to Xmas.

It made me feel like the little writer that Santa Claus forgot.

So I'm now watching "It's a Wonderful Life" coz I won't be beat.

So 4 days to think, write and submit a short story (hopefully in the same league as the high standard -albeit in the relegation zone - set last year)

My goal is to submit on Christmas eve. The night before Christmas.

MMMMM "The Night Before" ah well you gotta start somewhere

Edited by volante, 20 December 2009 - 12:27 PM.

#86 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:21 PM

Awfully nice of you to take up the challenge, volante. Absolutely looking forward to your entry! B) :tdown:

Now, Bryce 003,...er, you surely do not intent to pass on this, do you? Feel free to feel obliged, we want to learn about further Christmases of Bryce... :tdown:

#87 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:37 PM

Hey Volante, go for it and I promise the first round of Martinis'll be on me and that's a promise! B)

#88 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:04 PM

Thank you Trident.

Give me a day or two.

'Tis the Season....

To be.....

DEADLY

*In pouring rain, Bryce, with venom in his eyes, hurls a flaming molotov cocktail at screen whilst standing atop the Tower Bridge in a battle tattered suit*

"To All a Goodnight"

Coming Soon.

#89 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:31 PM

Ah, most promising!

It begins to slowly dawn on me that I'll be pretty lost without a wonder or two. No, better make that three... B)

#90 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:36 PM

I'm expecting quite the dose of Christmas carnage.