553 replies to this topic

#541 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Cheers Dustin! - As Moonraker is my favorite Fleming novel, and Gala Brand (or a variation of her) is part of my own fan-fic universe, I really enjoyed your offering here.

Nice style and nice time frame - Appreciated the marking it with nod to Deighton (the "Game, Set and Match" trilogy is one my other favorites) so you've put us in 1983 IIRC on the book. Have to check my own copy - which BTW - I also purchased at an airport bookshop. Gave me a good laugh.

Your idea here that Gala and Bond did finally manage to meet up again after Moonraker at least the once is a really great notion and well executed.

Thanks for this bit. If I should think of an appropriate title, I'll let you know.

Great fun! 

#542 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

Thanks a lot, Bryce! So glad you enjoyed it - though it's really just a tiny bit bordering on flash fiction. I'll now be reading the other entries this weekend and share my views here then. 

PS: Yep, 83 it was. BERLIN GAME was on the NYT bestseller list for 28. December, together with PET SEMATARY. 

Edited by Dustin, 04 January 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#543 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Don't sell yourself short old boy. I'd hardly (for my two pence) call it "flash fiction" - it has details and certainly some liberty taken, but it can't be denied that it was done so by someone with a true knowledge of Fleming and Moonraker to put this piece togther.

Also, it took me a bit, but I finally broke down and, given the year, checked the NYT best list and caught the King reference. Really well done on that.

So, per you, somewhere around '64, Bond convinced Gala to steal away with him which could have lead to more, but, as in the case of the "man who was a silhouette - The secret agent" - duty called and he had to answer.

Trust me, you've really done something quite special with this.

#544 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

So, per you, somewhere around '64, Bond convinced Gala to steal away with him which could have lead to more, but, as in the case of the "man who was a silhouette - The secret agent" - duty called and he had to answer.

Well, I thought what might happen if the two of them ran into each other later on. Ten years down the road - and perhaps with a crisis in her marriage - she would surely fit into Bond's scheme of prey.

Also Gala and Bond now - 'now' being '83 - have a very different view on the affair they had. Gala feels that however painful her awakening had been, it nonetheless had been the right thing, a blessing really. While Bond just calls her like a teenager, not having the foggiest what the few days so long ago had meant to her. Bond as a womaniser doesn't feel comfortable without female company, but his tragedy is his inability to really understand women. He can charm them, seduce them, even read their character. But in the end they remain a mystery to him.

Trust me, you've really done something quite special with this.

Now thanks A LOT! 

#545 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Nice entry, Dustin! 

Incidentally: thanks for introducing me to Andersen quotes. I've looked them up after reading your piece, there are plenty of little gems like the one you used! 

#546 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Thanks a lot, MkB!

Am down with the flue, so I'm behind with - amongst other things - my reading; but am working on it!  

#547 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

Very nice, Dustin.  Read it a second time just to catch more of the Easter eggs you threw in this Christmas present.  Thank you for sharing.

#548 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

Well, on we go! Part two will be up over the weekend.

This thing really took off on me and it just might end up being a four part mini-epic.

Get ready for some more fun and expect a signal...

"THREE IF BY SEA"

B) 

#549 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

Running a bit late on the follow up, but part two will be up in the next day or so.

Actually, it's been a bit interesting with framing the time in some retro aspects. New kind of writing for me.

A few good bits and even introspective moments. Matt and John debate or even question their chosen profession, Joyce kicks some more ass, a debrief at number 10 with William and Kate and the other Kate - the Bryce one - is on the war path and makes one discovery that may change the game.

Damn fun, but my desk has been littered if not overtaken by post-it notes trying to keep all parts intact.

A ponder: What if someone was willing to sell a "terrorist act"?

Think on it. :wacko:

#550 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Just a quick note: am not dead (yet), merely struggling with a bad case of - evidently - 'Captain Trips', coughing up great chunks of 'tissue' and blood. At least that's what it feels like...

Will commence reading once the screen doesn't give me head cramps any more. Cannot take much longer, am already on POTENT drugs.

#551 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Dustin, old friend, hold on, you WILL make it! 

And if you don't, rest assured I'll write your obituary for the The Times and I'll call you an example of British fortitude ;)

#552 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

Dustin, old friend, hold on, you WILL make it!

And if you don't, rest assured I'll write your obituary for the The Times and I'll call you an example of British fortitude ;)

Now, that's something different for sure! Feeling tempted to take the opportunity... ;)

#553 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

Decided to raise myself from the dead and get on with reading. My first read - long overdue -: THE MERCURIOUS AFFAIR. My thoughts:http://debrief.comma...-2#entry1245674

#554 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

BUON NATALE MR BOND

My thoughts mirror chrisno1's, I immediately thought of this as a period piece, perhaps because of the angle with the ancient equipment. A rewrite with some trimming would shape this bullet just fine, get rid of some - some, not all! - of Dominguez's background and the archaeology angle. Also the odd slip (see the fourth paragraph when the age of Dominguez, his brother and his mother seems to be mixed into one paragraph; furthermore it seems unlikely to get thirty gunmen into a mere five cars) could be fixed. Highlights of this piece are Dominguez and Angelina, both strong creations within very confined space. Dominguez's thoughts at the beginning and right before the shoot-out are particularly convincing and appalling.

Continue my reading...