553 replies to this topic

#1 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:28 PM

I originally had the idea, it being the holiday season, of suggesting a friendly competition to see who could come up with the best James Bond Christmas story. I find the idea sort of intriguing as Bond is a loner, with no family, who tries to keep his feelings under control. So how would he approach Christmas? I suppose one could say that OHMSS (which is my favorite book) is the Bond Christmas story, but has anyone tried, with any degree of success to write their own story. I'm personally drawing a blank, but I suppose if others wanted to try I might attempt it just to see if my efforts could measure up. I believe both Joyce Carrington and Scrambled Eggs have posted holiday Bond in prior years. Does anyone else want to try? Has anyone else come up with anything they think the rest of us should read? Is it worth the effort? Your thoughts and Happy Holidays!

#2 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:53 PM

Yay for the initiative, MHazard. :(

Yup. Always love to see the fanfiction section get creative on a 'challenge' of sorts, so if anyone feels inspired, please share your Christmas Bond story! :)

Currently I'm still too wrapped up at school but who knows what I may cook up during the holidays... I always love doing depressing Christmas things. :)

#3 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:00 PM

I have a friend who several years ago did a Bond story/cartoon based on Twas the Night Before Christmas. I should ask him if I can post it here.

#4 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:16 PM

I have a friend who several years ago did a Bond story/cartoon based on Twas the Night Before Christmas. I should ask him if I can post it here.

By all means!

#5 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:25 PM

Looking forward to it, Jaguar. :(

#6 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:43 PM

It's interesting this should come up. I've been toying with a short story idea that I think I'm going to throw together over the holidays. It's....somewhat of a new spin...on fan fiction. It's probably a more literal execution of that term than anything else :(.

Hopefully will get round to it.

#7 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:37 PM

This thread reminds me of the old Mark Twain joke that "everyone talks about the weather but no one does anything about it". Is there anyone out there who wants to step up to the plate and actually write/finish/post a Bond Christmas story? I have the glimmer of an idea but I'm not sure how to take it. But it seems to me how Bond spends Christmas is an intriguing question. I have some ideas but I'm not quite sure how to turn them into a story (meaning I've got no plot yet). Isn't there anyone among our fine authors who feels up to the task?

#8 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:51 PM

This thread reminds me of the old Mark Twain joke that "everyone talks about the weather but no one does anything about it". Is there anyone out there who wants to step up to the plate and actually write/finish/post a Bond Christmas story? I have the glimmer of an idea but I'm not sure how to take it. But it seems to me how Bond spends Christmas is an intriguing question. I have some ideas but I'm not quite sure how to turn them into a story (meaning I've got no plot yet). Isn't there anyone among our fine authors who feels up to the task?

A few of us who post on here from time to time used to (maybe some still do) also post on MI6 where Hitch or someone would usually challenge people to write a Bond christmas story.
A such, writing a couple of hundred words while nursing a searing hangover has become a minor christmas tradition for me. Not as important as making sure I remember to make bread sauce or trying not to drink all the vodka but still something I like to do.

So i'll post something. It probably wont be any bloody good but it'll be something. So, if you decide to write something, at least you wont be alone.

#9 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:41 PM

Scrambled Eggs, my old friend, if you step up to the plate then I will try to force myself to flesh out my idea in time for Christmas. Does anyone else want to join us?

#10 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:57 PM

That's quite the strongly worded challenge, MHazard. I'll get in on it, but again - this idea I've got isn't what you're necessarily talking about. It's not "about Bond at Christmas time," although it involves James Bond, it happens at Christmas, and very much falls under the brow of "Bond fan fiction."

#11 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:44 PM

No rules Matt of Steel. It sounds like your idea qualifies.

#12 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:47 PM

Hmmm... This is tempting... But I'm a slow writer, and I have a very busy month ahead, so I'm not sure I'll make it... Anyway, I'm tempted to give it a try...

#13 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:55 PM

It sounds like everybody just needs a nudge: me, Scrambled Eggs, Matt of Steel, and MkB. Why don't we do it as a present to each other? Anyone else want to play?

#14 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:36 PM

The answer to who's tried a Christmas Bond story is Scrambled Eggs. It's called Christmas with Clive and it's a damn fine story.

#15 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:14 PM

I'm on chapter four of my latest dunno-what-to-call-it thing. I've planned to post it on Saturday and hopefully I'll have a break from TMBYD.

I'm going to try and write a short Bond Christmas story. I know, it'll be :(e and boring but what the heck... so if you'll have me I'll join you.

No rules, a hundred or so words and Bond. Hmmm, sounds interesting!

:)

And I'll post it on Christmas Day :)

#16 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:00 PM

Harry Fawkes'
Loneliness is a Lover

CHRISTMAS

WITH

IAN FLEMING'S

JAMES BOND

O U T X M A S D A Y

:(

#17 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

Loneliness is a Lover

That's the story of my life! :(

#18 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:04 AM

Two of a kind then, mon ami :) ... The story of my life! :(

#19 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:06 AM

Hmmm... I have a vague idea....

...now to find the time! :(

#20 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:10 AM

Oh my God!!!! Does that mean I'm going to be up against the great Joyce Carrington in coming up with a short story worthy of standing up there alongside one of hers???!!! :(

#21 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:22 AM

It seems that you won't be so lonely after all, Harry. :(

#22 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:47 AM

A neat idea and I too encourage anyone to try.

I've never attempted to write Bond. He's not MY character.

Bryce is. After over now thirty years of having 003 as an alter-ego, it's still tough work writing it.

None the less, here on CBn, the question does remain - How does/would Bond view Christmas? The memory of proposing to Tracy and the results cannot bode well for him.

Dinner home alone? An invite from Tanner or M? Would he even bother with a tree? Maybe a small gift for either May or Moneypenny? A phone call to Felix?

Christmas for James....

Reflective or regretful?

Tough how to decide.

As to the other great debate here - No offense Harry, but I've got a twenty on Joyce.

Granted, I just a *little* biased. :(

#23 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:55 AM

I once wrote a New Year's Eve Bond story for one of Hitch's contests...it was bleak.

Traveller from an Antique Land

Don't know if I can muster anything for this, though. The muse has not been kind to me of late.

#24 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:04 AM

Oh my God!!!! Does that mean I'm going to be up against the great Joyce Carrington in coming up with a short story worthy of standing up there alongside one of hers???!!! :)

Hey now! :)

What is all this 'going up against' and 'worthy' nonsense? This is supposed to be a bit of fun, not a competition. Besides, I am far from 'great'. (I have a few other words I'd like to use for myself, but I don't want to hurt Bryce and Hitch's feelings, as they're a little biased :( ).

Please everyone, scribble down anything you like and be merry! ;)

#25 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:13 AM

Well said :(

#26 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:33 AM

Would a Santa story qualify, even if it didn't take place at Christmas?

#27 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:13 AM

"Ho, ho, ho," chortled the fat man as he fanned his cards out, holding them close to his red, white-buttoned vest.

That reminded Bond; he'd only slept with three of the four Can Can dancers. Ah, but the night was still young.

Thomas Clink's
The Naughty List

JOIN IN THE

REINDEER GAMES

WITH

IAN FLEMING'S

JAMES BOND

O U T X M A S D A Y

#28 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:28 AM

Ooh! :) You know I'm a sucker for your bleak stuff, Clinkers, but I do love your funny stories! :) :(

#29 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:43 AM

A lovely idea! I feel tempted. But actually I'm not really sure to be able to submit something. Most likely not before Christmas 2028... :(

#30 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:46 PM

Well, I'm appreciating everyone who's stepping up. This season has been hectic for me, but if I get a chance I might be able to dash one off. In the meantime, let me state, not that anyone appointed me Story King, but I did start the thread, that: there's no rules-a Santa story in my book qualifies and so would a John Bryce 003 Christmas story (or a Joyce Carrington); this is not a contest involving judging, more a friendly collaberative, but given the quality of my friends' work here at CBn if I submit I want to try to make it as good as I can so it stacks up-but this shouldn't discourage anyone from posting a story; and most importantly thanks to everyone who's stepped up already, what a nice holiday present for the rest of us.