184 replies to this topic

#1 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:39 PM

Ah, that Elvis. Underused, as many seem to think?

No.

Just the opposite. He's thoroughly used and abused. And to an original achievement for Bond!

After seeing QOS for the second time last night, I've come to the conclusion that Elvis may be the first truly comical character in all of the Bond films. And that's all that he is; a victim of The Joke.

Elvis is the most disrespected villain in all of Bondom.

Notice his scenes:

Tries to act studly and imposing as Camille comes storming down the docks after Greene. She whacks him away and says something to the effect of "Touch me again and I'll flip ya. Flip ya for real." (I went a little Benecio on you there, to honor the similarities between LTK and QOS.)

On the plane with the CIA. He starts the conversation off... or does he? He tries to. He says something to the effect of "So, are we ready?" And Beam doesn't give him the time of day. Completely ignored. As the phone with Bond's picture gets passed around, it finally lands in Elvis' lap. Actually, it get chucked at him.

At the Opera. He's up there watching the play. Loving it, in fact. He turns to the other guard to share in his appreciation and his gaze is repelled by a face of iron. He turns back to watch the opera dejected but with a face that looks like he might cry from the unearthly beauty of the performance.

At Greene's party. Of course he takes the headward dive down the stairs. Only to lose his toupee at the bottom of the fall.

At the exchange between Greene and Medrano. Standing there like a buffoon with his neck collar on.

His demise: First of all, Greene says nothing. Just puts him in place... like a... PUPPET. Now notice when the flames reach his body...

THEY BLOW HIS PANTS OFF! :(

I kid you not. His pants go flying off with the wave of heat, and for a few frames we see him standing in his fixed position, in tighties, I believe.

Genius!!!

Elvis: the epitome of cool, right? How ironic. How very ironic. Thanks Mr. Forster and team.

***An extra special salute to IMTHEMONEYPENNY for first making this observation and pointing it out to me. It probably would have been months before I picked up on it.***

#2 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:42 PM

Wow!

Awesome review of the character, Judo Chop!

But I still like the guy, he is so comical that he may make you think Quantum does not exist. :)

Thumbs up for Elvis! :(

Edited by BlackFire, 21 November 2008 - 03:42 PM.

#3 avl

avl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:46 PM

The clothes blowing off demise is the epitome of this comi-tragic character. He is the Rosencrantz (or Guildenstern) of Bond!

Good call Judo Chop :(

#4 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

Great points. I was always confused by the creepy look at the opera he gives the other guy, but now I get it. Even funnier. Originally I thought he might have been hitting on him.

I can be a bit thick sometimes.

#5 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:31 PM

There's also this very short shot, during the plane chat between Green, Elvis and the CIA men, when you can see Elvis's belt buckle, a shining, huge, heart-shaped thing! :( :)
There are some discreet funny touches aout Elvis, indeed! Funnily enough, all those nice details seem to be overshadowed by the too obvious hairpiece with a monk cut (maybe this one was over the top).

#6 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:47 PM

Awwww, Poor Elvis. I feel his pain. :) :(

#7 Otis Fairplay

Otis Fairplay

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:48 PM

Hear, hear. Elvis certainly won me over as well. Watching the film, I thought it would be lovely to see him turning out to be the secret head of Quantum, Verbal Kint style. I suppose an Elvis prequel or spin-off is out of the question?

#8 DavidSomerset

DavidSomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

Maybe we will have 2 characters (named after Elvis's son-in-laws) in Bond 23,named Nic Cage (another Mini villain like Nic Nack)and Mic Jackson(a rasta spouting villain like Jar Jar). And the female villain will be named Lisa. :(

#9 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:36 PM

Thanks Judo chop, glad I could help out! :) :(

This is a great post! You're bang on about him. I ended up having a real soft spot for Elvis. He's an example of the fun that many overlook. I think some viewers believe that on the plane when he says something and it doesn't go anywhere it's a flaw of the script, but you're right he's simply ignored by the others. And at the opera and Greene and his men get up and leave they have to pull Elvis along with them because he's so transfixed by the opera.

I forgot about his trousers flying off in the blast! I caught that the third time! Poor bald trouser-less Elvis! ;) :)

As MkB pointed out the heart shaped belt buckle. Another good touch. And I love that he wears that big chunky pendant. I haven't figured out what shape that's in yet.

His bowl cut might be another failed attempt to be cool, perhaps he thought his toupee had a 'ceasar' cut to it.

Edited by ImTheMoneypenny, 21 November 2008 - 06:37 PM.

#10 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:38 PM

No.

Just the opposite. He's thoroughly used and abused. And to an original achievement for Bond!

After seeing QOS for the second time last night, I've come to the conclusion that Elvis may be the first truly comical character in all of the Bond films. And that's all that he is; a victim of The Joke.

Notice his scenes:

Tries to act studly and imposing as Camille comes storming down the docks after Greene. She whacks him away and says something to the effect of "Touch me again and I'll flip ya. Flip ya for real." (I went a little Benecio on you there, to honor the similarities between LTK and QOS.)

On the plane with the CIA. He starts the conversation off... or does he? He tries to. He says something to the effect of "So, are we ready?" And Beam doesn't give him the time of day. Completely ignored. As the phone with Bond's picture gets passed around, it finally lands in Elvis' lap. Actually, it get chucked at him.

At the Opera. He's up there watching the play. Loving it, in fact. He turns to the other guard to share in his appreciation and his gaze is repelled by a face of iron. He turns back to watch the opera dejected but with a face that looks like he might cry from the unearthly beauty of the performance.

At Greene's party. Of course he takes the headward dive down the stairs. Only to lose his toupee at the bottom of the fall.

At the exchange between Greene and Medrano. Standing there like a buffoon with his neck collar on.

His demise: First of all, Greene says nothing. Just puts him in place... like a... PUPPET. Now notice when the flames reach his body...

I kid you not. His pants go flying off with the wave of heat, and for a few frames we see him standing in his fixed position, in tighties, I believe.

Genius!!!

Elvis: the epitome of cool, right? How ironic. How very ironic. Thanks Mr. Forster and team.

***An extra special salute to IMTHEMONEYPENNY for first making this observation and pointing it out to me. It probably would have been months before I picked up on it.***

I had similar thoughts after my second viewing - Elvis isn't there a lot, but I still get a real sense of the character from him. I'm flirting with the idea of adding him to my pantheon of classic and iconic Bond henchmen (Oddjob, Jaws et. al.). Quite seriously.

#11 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:43 PM

I suppose an Elvis prequel or spin-off is out of the question?

Perhaps his twin brother Jesse out for revenge?

#12 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:47 PM

He reminds me of the great comic figures in Aristophanes, Shakespeare, Cervantes and Desperate Housewives. He reminds me of so many things, especially the April wind....which blows and blows and blows.

#13 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:02 AM

Maybe it'll turn out that Elvis is still alive!

#14 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:44 AM

He was not underused. To cut out his scenes was, perhaps, the best decision the editors did on this film.

#15 Joey Bond

Joey Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:11 AM

Now I have an excuse to see the film again! :)

#16 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:42 AM

Nice post, Judo Chop.

He may have restricted air time, but it is just enough to have clear recognisable characteristics and attributes. The guy is under appreciated and ignored. I thought the role was fine; it didn't really need to be expanded upon.

#17 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:50 AM

Elvis was all comic relief. I liked the idea that, after he's tripped down the stairs, you next see him wearing the neck brace and no one actually comments about it.

#18 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:28 AM

Genius!!!

My goodness, Judo. Can it be true? A moment of pure undiluted Roger Moore-ness hidden in the otherwise ultraserious QOS? I shall definitely be looking out for Elvis' flying pants this time round!

I would also like to add to this list of Elvisisms, with thanks to Stromberg, that when we first see him at the Haiti port, he's talking on the cellphone in Swiss German - he's actually talking to his mother telling her how nice the place is!

Original Elvis appreciation thread here : :)
http://debrief.comma...p...47&hl=elvis

#19 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:44 AM

THEY BLOW HIS PANTS OFF! :)

Genius!!!

My goodness, Judo. Can it be true? A moment of pure undiluted Roger Moore-ness hidden in the otherwise ultraserious QOS? I shall definitely be looking out for Elvis' flying pants this time round!

I would also like to add to this list of Elvisisms, with thanks to Stromberg, that when we first see him at the Haiti port, he's talking on the cellphone in Swiss German - he's actually talking to his mother telling her how nice the place is!

Original Elvis appreciation thread here : :)
http://debrief.comma...p...47&hl=elvis

Oh, that's hysterical, dino. ;)

I just finished my third viewing this afternoon, and I paid much more attention to Elvis. As a character, he's basically the writers' middle finger to the tradition of the hulking henchman. And I love it-- it's subtle, not overplayed. He's just a hapless loser, and it's hilarious! That neck brace...jeez. I laughed so hard at that this time. Oh, and I'll confirm that yes, the fire does indeed blow his pants off before it takes him into the Undiscovered Country. I was nearly to the point of pissing myself like a 90 year old man, I laughed so hard. Easily the funniest moment of the series, IMO. The amazing thing is that it's more screwball than just about anything in the Moore era, yet it's so subtle that only a few of us have noticed it! Thanks, Judo, for pointing that out before today's viewing. That was priceless. :(

#20 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:34 AM

Now I know the lovers of Quantum Of Solace are looking at this film through heavily tinted rose-colored glasses. How anyone can get excited about the Elvis character as edited when he does absolutely nothing is beyond me. :( He's easily the worst henchman of the series--and one of the bad things about QOS.

#21 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:39 AM

Now I know the lovers of Quantum Of Solace are looking at this film through heavily tinted rose-colored glasses. How anyone can get excited about the Elvis character as edited when he does absolutely nothing is beyond me. :( He's easily the worst henchman of the series--and one of the bad things about QOS.

I apologize for having fun.

#22 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:45 AM

Exactly. It's a spit-in-the-face to the idea of judging the sum by the formulaic parts in this backwards way that we do with Bond films. Henchman schmenchman, in other words. He was written to be a loser, strange as that may seem. It's just a quirky role designed to be the opposite of the norm. Besides, it's not like ALL the QOS "lovers" are into it. But those of us that find him funny are perfectly entitled to do so, just as you're entitled not to. :)

Sorry[ish] if that means I'm not "objective." That's totally cool. It's silly to think there can be such a thing when judging movies, anyway. There's no set ranking for these films or for the individual variables in the formula that we feel so compelled to judge independently.

#23 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:08 AM

He does a lot, did you not read the original post?

#24 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:34 AM

I just knew I was going to get hammered (for lack of a better word) for my post. Oh well. :(

Yes, I did read the top post and Judo Chop makes some interesting points, which could be quite legitimate of the production's intentions. I'm not completely sold, but he makes a good case. If he is correct, then I think the production made a big mistake. The main henchman in a Bond film should not be such a useless enforcer. A lesser henchman, maybe, but not the main one. Where's the threat, then? Where's the danger? They don't all need to be Oddjobs or Jawses, but come on, Bond should have a halfway legitimate threat such as a Necros or a Dario or a Locque--characters that are tough while also grounded in reality and who easily fit in the world of the Daniel Craig Bonds.

#25 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:09 AM

That's where we disagree, I don't feel anything in a Bond film has to adhere to any sort of unspoken rules. If they want a comic character as the villians right hand man then go do it...which they did :(

#26 Otis Fairplay

Otis Fairplay

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:17 AM

Maybe it'll turn out that Elvis is still alive!

Quite. If the next film might go down a more light-hearted path, I think it would not be out of line to see a slightly scorched Elvis, the smouldering remains of a toupee desperately clinging on to the top of his head, pressing on through the Bolivian desert in his underpants with a bemused look to his face. Preferably, of course, watched by a familiar looking man sitting in a hammock smack in the middle of the desolate landscape, giving the wine bottle on the table next to him a flabbergasted look as Elvis passes him with a dazed, courteous smile.

#27 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:00 PM

I am also reminded of the humor in Cervantes, the antics of the Marx Brothers, and the dazzling existential wit of Tom Stoppard, the Marquis de Sade, and the Pushkin of The Queen of Spades. That darned Forster is so learned that I could weep with joy!

#28 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:16 PM

If the next film might go down a more light-hearted path, I think it would not be out of line to see a slightly scorched Elvis, the smouldering remains of a toupee desperately clinging on to the top of his head, pressing on through the Bolivian desert in his underpants with a bemused look to his face. Preferably, of course, watched by a familiar looking man sitting in a hammock smack in the middle of the desolate landscape, giving the wine bottle on the table next to him a flabbergasted look as Elvis passes him with a dazed, courteous smile.

That actually would have been a nice scene after the credits! You forgot the crazy Bolivian taxi-driver, though... :(

#29 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:25 AM

No.

Notice his scenes:

Genius!!!

This might have made a lick of sense if Forster had intended it and had known how to shoot the damn scene. I only knew it was 'Elvis' who'd taken the fall because it was pointed out here and, on a second viewing, I spotted the brace on his neck. similarly, even on a second viewing, I'd have missed the fact that his rug was knocked off--if I hadn't been alerted here. As for the pants, I'm convinced the reason we get to see the Elvis dummy in briefs is because of lazy filmmaking. It's just too fast to register. And I don't believe a logical case can be made that these are Forster's very points: that the unnamed Elvis isn't even worth the time it takes to record him on film. Woody Allen got it right--in Manhattan, I think--when he had himself lensed walking along the embankment with his girl. In excitement as he talks he flails his arms--and the left arm knocks a dude over a bridge. Woody spent precisely enough time for us to know that the dude had gone over the railing but wasn't important in the scheme of things.

#30 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:53 AM

No.

Notice his scenes:

Genius!!!

This might have made a lick of sense if Forster had intended it and had known how to shoot the damn scene. I only knew it was 'Elvis' who'd taken the fall because it was pointed out here and, on a second viewing, I spotted the brace on his neck. similarly, even on a second viewing, I'd have missed the fact that his rug was knocked off--if I hadn't been alerted here. As for the pants, I'm convinced the reason we get to see the Elvis dummy in briefs is because of lazy filmmaking. It's just too fast to register. And I don't believe a logical case can be made that these are Forster's very points: that the unnamed Elvis isn't even worth the time it takes to record him on film. Woody Allen got it right--in Manhattan, I think--when he had himself lensed walking along the embankment with his girl. In excitement as he talks he flails his arms--and the left arm knocks a dude over a bridge. Woody spent precisely enough time for us to know that the dude had gone over the railing but wasn't important in the scheme of things.

With all due respect, you are completely wrong, Dodge. Elvis, as 0012 said, is the fully intended mockery of the hulking henchman stereotype. Look at the laundry list!

You only knew about the hairpiece 'cause it was said here, but then how did it get said here? The depantsment is not 'too fast to register' either. I caught a glimpse the first time around and was certain on the second viewing, and I am not the only poster to have noticed it. Maybe it's too fast for the first time viewer, but who made the rule that everything is supposed to be taken in on the first attempt? Face it: QOS demands that you pay attention.

I can imagine the thinking process going something like this:
"Ok, we've got Greene written. How about a henchman for him?"
"Well... Greene doesn't really need a henchman."
"True. Should we skip it altogether then?"
"Naw. Let's have some fun with it."

There is no argument as to whether Elvis' persona was meant to be satirical. Elvis was intended to be the typical Bond henchman turned upside down, and his name is the final nail in the coffin for any such argument.

Whether you appreciate their intent or not is another question. I love it. I, too, pissed my pants thinking about Elvis' lack thereof.