36 replies to this topic

#1 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:29 PM

Batman is the highest grossing film of the year and it's mainly because of the excellent work by the star playing the Joker.

The new Indiana Jones film is a disaster. Terrible. It has some good stuff in it but a total train Wreck compared to Raiders of the Lost Ark. Indy no longer rules the cinema world.

The new James Bond film has a polarizing effect on fandom. You either love it or you hate it. James Bond is on a revenge mission in South America. His Licence to kill is revoked and he's apprehended by MI6 authorities. This is the second outing by the current 007 star who prefers a serious, by the (fleming) book approach to the character.

Rambo and John McClane were recently in theaters.George Bush is the president of the USA. What year is it anyway? :(

A.1989

B.2008

c.All of the above

Weird huh? :)

#2 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:33 PM

The circumstances are quite the same except QUANTUM isn't going down in a flaming wreck like LICENCE TO KILL.

#3 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:35 PM

Oh. My. God.

Does that mean I'm going to have to go through teenage again?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :(

#4 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:39 PM

The circumstances are quite the same except QUANTUM is going down in a flaming wreck like LICENCE TO KILL.

Really? LTK made like 12 dollars at the box office and Quantum made $67M In north America opening weekend. That's more than twice LTK's total run. When I read "James Will Return" this time I know Craig will be back and in two years. I don't accept the 2011 release date because that would ruin the 50th anniversary release date that they must make in 2012(ok they did blow the 2007 thing but I see them making good on it this time).

#5 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:40 PM

Now just watch the Bond series sputter out, and six years later get restarted with Clive Owen in the part.

Thanks a lot Tarl. You :(.

:)

#6 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:43 PM

Really? LTK made like 12 dollars at the box office and Quantum made $67M In north America opening weekend.

Sorry I meant isn't.

#7 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:46 PM

Now just watch the Bond series sputter out, and six years later get restarted with Clive Owen in the part.

Thanks a lot Tarl. You :(.

:)

Clive Owen will be too old for Bond in 6.5 years. But I'm looking forward to his first unofficial Bond outing in Febuary, The International. :)

So, we'll be getting a washed up TV star who's making bad USA network movies before the Bond role "saves his life" and career. But he'll be born to play 007.

#8 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:47 PM

I don't accept the 2011 release date because that would ruin the 50th anniversary release date that they must make in 2012(ok they did blow the 2007 thing but I see them making good on it this time).

I really hope they miss it. All they need to do is churn out some crappy 50th anniversary merchandise, that's it. Keep the films out of it.

#9 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:50 PM

Really? LTK made like 12 dollars at the box office and Quantum made $67M In north America opening weekend.

Sorry I meant isn't.

Oh yeah, big difference. :(

I don't accept the 2011 release date because that would ruin the 50th anniversary release date that they must make in 2012(ok they did blow the 2007 thing but I see them making good on it this time).

I really hope they miss it. All they need to do is churn out some crappy 50th anniversary merchandise, that's it. Keep the films out of it.

Well, if it's like DAD than I agree but I do want 2 new 007 films by 2012.

#10 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:50 PM

So, we'll be getting a washed up TV star who's making bad USA network movies before the Bond role "saves his life" and career. But he'll be born to play 007.

Yeah, that's what I was shooting for, but I couldn't think of anyone to meet the criteria so I went with an old standby from the rumor mills of the past. :(

#11 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:51 PM

Yep, they will release the "Super Uber Ulrta edition Bond DVDs"

#12 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:17 AM

Oh. My. God.

Imagine how I feel. I was 2 when all of this went down. TWO!

#13 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:40 AM

Both Quantum of Solace and The Dark Knight are better than their 1989 counterparts. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is just dire.

#14 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:17 AM

Dominic West, then.

(On a serious note, though, I think he'd make a pretty decent Bond.)

Another odd similarity between 1989 and 2008 is that in '89 the Stones went on tour and Scorsese was making gangster epic GOODFELLAS. Today, Scorsese's most recent feature is gangster epic THE DEPARTED, while the Stones have been on tour recently.

Also....

1988: Led Zeppelin reform very briefly for a one-off gig with Jason Bonham on drums.

2007: See above.

1990: Stallone releases ROCKY V a couple of years after RAMBO III.

2008: Stallone releases RAMBO a couple of years after ROCKY BALBOA.

#15 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:53 PM

The new Indiana Jones film is a disaster. Terrible. It has some good stuff in it but a total train Wreck compared to Raiders of the Lost Ark. Indy no longer rules the cinema world.

Where have you been? On Mars? KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULLS kicked :( at the box office. Granted, it wasn't the number one movie of the summer, but it was one of the highest earning films. Come to think of it, THE LAST CRUSADE certainly was no flop. I think you're allowing your personal feelings of the films to judge what was a disaster and what wasn't.

By the way, I think that THE DARK KNIGHT was a bit overrated. And I'm NOT a fan of the 1989 version of BATMAN.

#16 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

I think Tarl meant that KINGDOM is an artistic disaster rather than a commercial one. And it is indeed an abysmal piece of work - dull, geriatric rubbish, the A VIEW TO A KILL of the Indy franchise, only never as much corny fun as AVTAK often manages to be. It just blows.

Granted, LAST CRUSADE is a much better film, but it still sucks by comparison to RAIDERS (and even TEMPLE).

#17 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:30 PM

I think Tarl meant that KINGDOM is an artistic disaster rather than a commercial one. And it is indeed an abysmal piece of work - dull, geriatric rubbish, the A VIEW TO A KILL of the Indy franchise, only never as much corny fun as AVTAK often manages to be. It just blows.

Granted, LAST CRUSADE is a much better film, but it still sucks by comparison to RAIDERS (and even TEMPLE).

What he said.

Dominic West, then.

(On a serious note, though, I think he'd make a pretty decent Bond.)

Another odd similarity between 1989 and 2008 is that in '89 the Stones went on tour and Scorsese was making gangster epic GOODFELLAS. Today, Scorsese's most recent feature is gangster epic THE DEPARTED, while the Stones have been on tour recently.

Also....

1988: Led Zeppelin reform very briefly for a one-off gig with Jason Bonham on drums.

2007: See above.

1990: Stallone releases ROCKY V a couple of years after RAMBO III.

2008: Stallone releases RAMBO a couple of years after ROCKY BALBOA.

Guns and Roses have a new album out...a Star Trek film is soon to be out(it was ready for summer 08).

#18 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:57 PM

Striking similarities!

#19 Hitmonk

Hitmonk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:14 PM

How about slightly undercooked scripts due to a Hollywood writers strike...

#20 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:02 AM

On a personal note, I'm traveling to Phoenix next week to visit family, which I've not done since...

You guessed it. :(

#21 Bond Bug

Bond Bug

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:32 PM

Batman is the highest grossing film of the year and it's mainly because of the excellent work by the star playing the Joker.

The new James Bond film has a polarizing effect on fandom. You either love it or you hate it. James Bond is on a revenge mission in South America. His Licence to kill is revoked and he's apprehended by MI6 authorities. This is the second outing by the current 007 star who prefers a serious, by the (fleming) book approach to the character.

Rambo and John McClane were recently in theaters.George Bush is the president of the USA. What year is it anyway? :(

A.1989

B.2008

c.All of the above

Weird huh? :)

It's like the last 19 years never happened. Must be a sure sign of getting old.

#22 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:36 PM

Oh. My. God.

Imagine how I feel. I was 2 when all of this went down. TWO!

Oh, stop showing off!

#23 Joey Bond

Joey Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:44 PM

Makes me feel reborn :(

#24 British Chap

British Chap

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:56 PM

Makes me feel reborn :(

If you were just born, wouldn't you be....

No. On second thought, I don't want to go there.

#25 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:31 AM

Deja Vu indeed, Tarl. To bad we didn't get a Lethal Weapon movie to complete the picture. But, wait I saw an interview just last week, were Columbus Short was talking about taking the role of Nick Murtaugh in a up coming Lethal Weapon movie :) ......btw LW2 was the best one. :(

#26 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:38 PM

Interesting likenesses.

The old Batman and Indy were way better though. Back when they had the magic ingredient lacking in nearly all Hollywood blockbusters these days. Soul.

Actors, for one, these days just always come off as trying to look cool infront of the camera rather than portray their character. Bale's ridiculous over-acting, Shia LeBeouf's general lack of anything interesting, the lacklustre return of John McClane (sure the film was jam packed with massive explosions and effects but where's the soul of the original? Gone)...etc

#27 Bradley De La Cloche

Bradley De La Cloche

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:36 PM

Oh my god.

But that means...

I HAVEN'T BEEN BORN YET!! :( :)

#28 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:41 PM

Interesting likenesses.

The old Batman and Indy were way better though. Back when they had the magic ingredient lacking in nearly all Hollywood blockbusters these days. Soul.

Actors, for one, these days just always come off as trying to look cool infront of the camera rather than portray their character. Bale's ridiculous over-acting, Shia LeBeouf's general lack of anything interesting, the lacklustre return of John McClane (sure the film was jam packed with massive explosions and effects but where's the soul of the original? Gone)...etc

Bale's overacting?

#29 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:51 PM

Interesting likenesses.

I highly diasgree. BATMAN hardly had a soul, it had a messy story and no character development. THE DARK KNIGHT was far better written and directed. THE LAST CRUSADE wasn't that good either by making the side characters all comic foils and even Indy himself came off as too comical. CRYSTAL SKULL is better but not by much, only Harrison Ford's preformance is the only thing that really improved over his predessecor.

#30 CaptainPower

CaptainPower

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:59 PM

CRYSTAL SKULL is terrible. I truly hope it's not the last Indy film. And yes! If this was 1989, I'd be 1! QoS is hardly perfect but it's much more successful (in terms of quality) than its '89 counterpart was. Empire had an article about this very topic actually.. http://www.empireonl...Post.asp?id=258

Edited by CaptainPower, 25 November 2008 - 12:30 AM.