293 replies to this topic

#241 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

Just lend me a hand with this Krug cuvée, be a sport. Sprained my thumb on the last one rather nastily...

#242 Catching Bullets

Catching Bullets

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

To mark the thirtieth anniversary of OCTOPUSSY, the Lounge of Solace has a two-for-one deal on the Bollinger tonight. Buy two bottles, get one glass. The old management also assures us that stuffed sheep's head will be served in the new dining area (behind the back of the bins) and there will be some circus cabaret as special guest Suzanne Dando singlehandedly recreates her gymnastic work on OCTOPUSSY with some local children from the blind school. All in all, it promises to be a lavish night.

Edited by Catching Bullets, 06 June 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#243 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

Make it Taittinger and I'm there (never did care for Chardonnay).

#244 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

Make it tap water for me, don't drink and drive and all that...

#245 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

Haven't you heard about that unfortunate business with the new utilities provider? Outrageous!

#246 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

(As John Wayne in The Shootist): "Today's my birthday. Give me a shot of your best!"

#247 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

Congratulations! Here's to you!

#248 Catching Bullets

Catching Bullets

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

Well it is thirty years to the very day since this fan saw his first Bond film, so sod it - let's get that vintage Asti up from behind the boiler and make tonight a party night!

#249 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

My ladylove hid a copy of The Bond Archives behind the bar for me. Quite a giftie! I'll be flicking through it for quite a while to come.

#250 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

My ladylove hid a copy of The Bond Archives behind the bar for me. Quite a giftie! I'll be flicking through it for quite a while to come.

That must be a well-stacked bar then, hope you had a good one. The Archives are splendid fun, you will be pleased.

#251 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

"I think the expression is 'loaded.'"

#252 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

"I think the expression is 'loaded.'"

And rightly so...

#253 Catching Bullets

Catching Bullets

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

Well as the new owner of the Lounge of Solace, it is only fitting to welcome you all to our Christmas celebrations... including our deluxe £5.99 four course Christmas lunch deal. It comes with a free glass of bubbly... (aside from the £4.95 glass rental fee).

I was thinking of having a CATCHING BULLETS theme night. Everyone has to come as an Octopussy of their choice (there will be anti smut bouncers on the door).

Edited by Catching Bullets, 10 December 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#254 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

Y'all might be in for a treat. You know back before the war broke out I was a saucier in San Antone. I bet I could collar up some of them greens, yeah, some crawfish out the paddy, yo'! Ha! I'm makin' some crabapples for dessert now, yo! Hell yeah, ha!

#255 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:34 AM

Er...

Is that American for shrimp cocktail, smoked salmon and pate? As that's what I'm in the mood for.

Joyous Noel, comrades. Barman, a round of toddy for the regulars.

#256 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:40 AM

Feliz Navidad, everybody! Christmas pudding fumes knocked out the kitchen help I'm afraid, so smoking has to be restricted to the library this year until the fans can clear the atmosphere enough to allow open fire again...

#257 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:22 AM

I say, Mr. Bullets, I've just popped in to inquire as to whatever happened to the Octopussy theme night you proposed a mere five months ago?

I was so looking forward to it - I've already worn out my clown shoes breaking them in.

#258 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

Shouldn't we celebrate some kind of 106th anniversary, by the way? I suggest we drink to a certain Mr. Ian F.

#259 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

Hear hear!

No pepper in the club Wolfschmidt, mind.

#260 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:59 PM

Six months on...

Just thought I'd drop by and help air out the old establishment in anticipation of the inevitable debates poised to rage over Hoyte van Hoytema, Christoph Watz et al and the potential value of their contributions to the upcoming production.

Wouldn't say no to a small sherry while I'm about - '51 Solera-based, of course.

#261 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

Ouooops! I'm afraid you caught me there...
The manager just asked me to keep an eye on the bar for a minute; something with the bartender's mother if I recall correctly. Oddly, that was some time ago. Sorry for letting slip the discipline a bit. Right on, Solera that was?

#262 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:05 PM

I watched QOS again on Saturday night for the first time in maybe 18 months and really enjoyed it.

It's an interesting one. It's almost as if Marc Forster and the Bond team decided to try an experiment and make an arty spy movie. The editing is still annoying to me, partly because there are some beautiful locations, shots and scenery in this film which don't get the attention or time they deserve, in my opinion. There's also a great stunt where Bond leaps from a building onto the top of a bus and onto another building. In another of the Bond movies, like TSWLM, it would be a memorable sequence. But here it is lost and that is a shame even though the way it is edited is on purpose.

However, the more I watch the Opera sequence including the gun fight to the sound of Tosca, the more I enjoy it. It was brave and it was beautifully done but was it right for a 007 flick? Should Marc Forster direct more action films if they look like this one? Maybe.

#263 Catching Bullets

Catching Bullets

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:56 PM

The manager is back from his time at the Travelodge Shrublands. It turned out I could get in the bottle "from here".

How are we all?

Glad we got that SPECTRE quiz machine installed now as we always like to be ahead of the curve.

And what are folk's Christmas plans? We are thinking of opening the Lounge Of Solace for members only during the Christmas period. We are being used for filming in the new year... where we are doubling up for a Moroccan bar and ski lodge gift shop.

#264 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

I watched QOS again on Saturday night for the first time in maybe 18 months and really enjoyed it.

That's good to hear, DaveBond. I don't see QoS as being this complete mess as others make it out to be. I disagree with Forster's philosophy of making a Bond movie like a 'bullet', I generally prefer my Bond movies like CR, OHMSS, etc.

But despite this I enjoy the movie. Some parts I'm not that keen on, particularly some of the editing choices and the god-awful song. The rooftop chase is an inferior clone of CR's parkour chase, and the boat sequence could have been better. Though for me there's more good than bad. There are some great stretches of film - after the boat chase right up to the plane chase particularly. Still not keen about the freefall sequence, but with the passing of time it bothers me less. 

Are there better Bond movies? Yes. However I don't see this as being a complete waste in the slightest. I'd take one of these over something which doesn't really take any risks. I appreciate how QoS has its own identity, for better or worse.

Edited by sharpshooter, 08 December 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#265 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:08 PM

Drinks for me and Stromberg. We patched things up in PM after that nasty bit of business in the Christoph Waltz thread.

The drinks are free, right? They're not? (sotto voce) Put it on AMC Hornet's tab. He won't notice.

#266 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:54 PM

Never underestimate the shallowness of the pockets on a tight git such as I.

I'm sure the barman could use some help washing all those glasses that are stacking up.

#267 Catching Bullets

Catching Bullets

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:06 PM

Actually, The Lounge of Solace has a virtual sister venue..... a hot bed of 007 reports, new outlooks and the hot tub quiz night is legendary....

www.facebook.com/catchingbullets

Tabs are a tricky subject. We are still in the courts trying to get Eunice Gayson to pay her rugby weekend subs.

#268 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:18 PM

My my! Silly me! I had forgotten about this place..

Incidentally, seems I had also forgotten my glass. What's that, drown in the bottom, by the way? I wasn't aware animals were allowed in here.

#269 Catching Bullets

Catching Bullets

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:25 PM

And who put the SPECTRE coasters on all the tables?!!

#270 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:48 AM

Just dropped by to drink a toast to the late M. Jourdan.

I would love to stay, but apparently I am 'required at once.'