This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Homages to previous Bond movies. (SPOILERS)

78 replies to this topic

#61 DavidSomerset

DavidSomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:49 PM

And don’t forget, right after that scene Bond tells the airline lady to tell whoever calls that he was going to Cairo.

I would have loved it if he had said" I am going to Ca-Ca-Cairo..." :(

#62 0012

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:49 PM

At the end of the PTS where Craig delivers the one-liner "It's time to get out" and the camera freezes on his face and then turns into the titles is exactly like in Octopussy when Moore pulls up to the gas station and says "Fill 'er up please". Forster was obviously influenced by the Moore films.

#63 001carus

001carus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:53 PM

- Car tumbling off the road down the hill in the PTS and exploding. (Dr. No)
- "Everything he touches seems to whither and die" (Goldfinger)
- Mr. White is strikingly similar to Dr. Dent! I truly thought they were the same actor... but of course, that makes little sense.

#64 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:03 PM

I certainly got an Octopussy vibe whilst watching this, after M revokes Bonds licence to kill he is lead away by three agents. He takes care of them in the elevator and walks off casually, Bonds movements is intercut with M's and they evantually meet on the stairs. M tells Bond that he's on the capture of kill list, she allows him to escape. Here is where I got the Octopussy vibe, Bond climbed over the balcony and walked along the wall, avoiding the guards. It reminded me of what Bond did at the Monsoon Palace.

Really? I thought this more to License to Kill when M revokes his License to Kill and he starts to fight M's bodyguards :(

And maybe is just me but when Bond kills Carlos I felt like 'Compliments of Sharky!'

#65 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:08 PM

I certainly got an Octopussy vibe whilst watching this, after M revokes Bonds licence to kill he is lead away by three agents. He takes care of them in the elevator and walks off casually, Bonds movements is intercut with M's and they evantually meet on the stairs. M tells Bond that he's on the capture of kill list, she allows him to escape. Here is where I got the Octopussy vibe, Bond climbed over the balcony and walked along the wall, avoiding the guards. It reminded me of what Bond did at the Monsoon Palace.

Really? I thought this more to License to Kill when M revokes his License to Kill and he starts to fight M's bodyguards :(

And maybe is just me but when Bond kills Carlos I felt like 'Compliments of Sharky!'

I was reffering to Bonds escape, after he meets M on the stairs, when he climbs over the banisters.

And who's Carlos?

#66 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:11 PM

Carlos is Mathis' friend, the police chief he introduces to Bond in Greene's party. He betrays him and that's why Bond says 'You and I had a mutual friend!' *shot*

Edited by BlackFire, 21 November 2008 - 03:11 PM.

#67 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:16 PM

Yes! Sorry, I just knew him as the Bolivian Chief of Police. :(

#68 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:24 PM

The music piece called Night at the Opera is strikingly similar to the music playing when Bond is sitting, wondering where the decoder is in Carver's office in TND.

#69 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:40 AM

I heard a snippet of moog-ish Bond theme that screamed On Her Majesty’s Secret Service to me.

#70 Mike00spy

Mike00spy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:23 PM

OHMSS crossed my mind more than once.

Both of the PTS introduce Bond driving and both show him behind the wheel, but not in a full shot.

The rooftop sequence (cut from OHMSS).

The hotel room right.

The fast editing.

Both movies have Bond searching for the villian without any kind of offical mission.

Edited by Mike00spy, 22 November 2008 - 01:26 PM.

#71 Joey Bond

Joey Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:03 PM

Arnold's music ("The dead don't care about vengence", towards the end), played in the Russia scene as we see Yusef and Corrine entering their room sounded very Die Another Day like.

The whole film though had a very Dr No and License to Kill feel to it.

#72 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:01 PM

The sunglasses Dominic Greene wore remind me of the ones Bond has Thunderball, when he was talking to Domino on the beach.

#73 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:18 PM

Camille's ingratitude/indignation at being rescued during the boat chase reminded me of Bond and Pam's speedboat bickering during Licence to Kill or Natalya kicking Bond in the shin in Goldeneye after he's helped them escape

This reminded me more of Tilly Masterson informing Bond that it is twioe now that he has inadvertently prevented her from killing Goldfinger.

#74 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:35 AM

Has anyone picked up on the GoldenEye similarity?

Bond and Natalya look for Arecibo observatory and get shot down by a missile. In QoS, Bond and Camille go over the sinkholes, and get shot down by the cavalry. And both areas have dammed water.

#75 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:52 AM

Has anyone picked up on the GoldenEye similarity?

Bond and Natalya look for Arecibo observatory and get shot down by a missile. In QoS, Bond and Camille go over the sinkholes, and get shot down by the cavalry. And both areas have dammed water.

I believe EON picked up on it :)

Or in other words, Bond and Camille parachuting out of the plane was a scene cut from the Goldeneye script, so it's more than just a similarity...

#76 A Kristatos

A Kristatos

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:40 AM

At the end of the PTS where Craig delivers the one-liner "It's time to get out" and the camera freezes on his face and then turns into the titles is exactly like in Octopussy when Moore pulls up to the gas station and says "Fill 'er up please". Forster was obviously influenced by the Moore films.

Great catch! I did not think of that one.

Octopussy:

I certainly got an <!-- film-start --><span class="film" id="FILM">Octopussy</span><!-- film-end --> vibe whilst watching this, after M revokes Bonds licence to kill he is lead away by three agents. He takes care of them in the elevator and walks off casually, Bonds movements is intercut with M's and they evantually meet on the stairs. M tells Bond that he's on the capture of kill list, she allows him to escape. Here is where I got the <!-- film-start --><span class="film" id="FILM">Octopussy</span><!-- film-end --> vibe, Bond climbed over the balcony and walked along the wall, avoiding the guards. It reminded me of what Bond did at the Monsoon Palace.

This actually reminds me more of the Hamburg Break-In scene in TND, where Bond steals the decoder. Bond is walking along the wall of the building he's in while Wai Lin is climbing down the opposite wall. Arnold's cue here is pretty much just a reworking of his cue from that scene in TND.

- Car tumbling off the road down the hill in the PTS and exploding. (Dr. No)
- "Everything he touches seems to whither and die" (Goldfinger)
- Mr. White is strikingly similar to Dr. Dent! I truly thought they were the same actor... but of course, that makes little sense.

Wow! You're right about the White/Dent similarities! It almost looks like the same actor playing both roles, impossible of course, but still fun to imagine. :)

Your Goldfinger reference actually reminds me more of the scene in DAF after Mr. Wint kills the dentist with the scorpion:

"Curious. Everyone who touches these diamonds seems to die!"

Edited by A Kristatos, 20 November 2010 - 05:41 AM.

#77 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:50 AM

Not an homage to a previous film, perhaps, but to a Bond book, Moonraker - Bond doesn't have his wicked way with the leading lady. As indeed he didn't with Inspector Vivian's intended, Policewoman Gala Brand.

We can complain, perhaps, that QoS lacked that "vital ingredient" of Bond claiming his usual sexual conquest of the principal girl. But we can hardly say that it was unprecedented when Fleming left Bond without said conquest in MR the novel.

(another one occurred to me over night - the good guys doing deals with the villains. A typical staple of the modern spy thriller - or a nod in the direction of Fleming himself? In the book Thunderball M mentions a deal MI6 did concerning Czech nerve gas phials with "an independent outfit in Europe. He meant, of course, SPECTRE.)

Edited by Guy Haines, 21 November 2010 - 07:29 AM.

#78 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:25 AM

Just watched QoS again and noticed yet another similarity to TSWLM that I hadnt thought of before. The opera scene, which used the opera to provide the score for the action going on in behind the curtains, was not unlike the scene at the pyramids in TSWLM which had the dramatic music from the pyramid show acting as the score for what was happening for the action with Jaws.

#79 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:40 AM

The sunglasses Dominic Greene wore remind me of the ones Bond has <!-- film-start --><span class="film" id="FILM">Thunderball</span><!-- film-end -->, when he was talking to Domino on the beach.

That's just a certain style of sunglasses. We've all worn them at some point, just like we've all worn piano ties. Right?

Right?
:o