This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

What is your least preferred scene / thing in QoS?

8 replies to this topic

#1 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:49 PM

Anyway, we'll end up discussion tis to death, but here's the first nitpicky QoS thread! :(
Well, in fact this is a natural companion to the "What is your preferred scene in QoS?" thread.
So, even if you liked / loved the film, use this thread to take off your chest all the things that annoyed you!

Mind you, I loved QoS.
Here are the bits that annoyed me:
- the very quick editing of the action scenes was a bit disturbing
- I didn't like the title sequence; the sandy silhouettes were very beautiful, but the other graphics didn't get to me
- some action scenes were a bit over the top; particularly, I'm thinking about the freefall sequence; could they really have survived with such a low opening of the 'chute? I'm no expert, but I doubt it.
- I'd like to see a little more spying and a little less killing in Bond films (not especially QoS there)

#2 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:59 PM

- some action scenes were a bit over the top; particularly, I'm thinking about the freefall sequence; could they really have survived with such a low opening of the 'chute? I'm no expert, but I doubt it.

I haven't seen the film - have to wait another three weeks - but during the Second World War, there were reports of fighter pilots who had been shot down survivng falls of five thousand feet. In 1972, Croation terrorists bombed a flight over East Germany, an a Serbian flight attendant survived a fall of thirty-three thousand feet (she was, of course, heavily injured and spent a month in a coma). It is also believed that at least two victims of the Lockerbie bombing survived the actual fall, but died of their injuries befor help could arrive.

In short, it's possible to survive a heavy landing. Sure, you get injured, but I believe Bond and Camille had a parachute, which would have killed a lot of their speed.

#3 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:32 AM

The thing that annoyed me, was the fight between Bond and Mitchell in the safehouse which then lead to the foot chase in the sewers. Why focus on hands and back in fight scenes. I thought the idea of fast editing/Bourne style was :(. You can't keep up with who's who and takes all the detail out the fight - EON next time have fights at a steady pace so we can appreciate it more.

Also I didn't like the scene which Feilds was covered in oil. It was good idea and was a good homage to Goldfinger. But I don't think Forster handled it to well. We should have got longer shots to give it a more dramatic feel.

Again the fight with Greene and Bond was fast, which took the joy out of watching it. I thought Greene was meant to have done boxing. Oh he did, I forget the editing was to god damn fast to see.

Also the shoot out at the TOSCA wasn't perfect. Again it was to fast. The fight scenes in CR was a good pace could becuase you could see the action and it made it look more real. When you have it being edited t make it look frantic you don't really see the art of the scene.

First continuety error I picked up was, why wasn't Bond wearing the three piece suit right at the begining of the film. And I'm sure he had a diffrent tie on.

Also the gunbarrel was to big, and would have prefered it if they had gone back to the Connery style of Gunbarrels

#4 Marquis

Marquis

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 456 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:48 AM

The only thing that didn't sit well with me was the title song. Even with the accompanying credits, it just didn't work.

It's something that I hadn't considered before, but having now seen QOS I think that bringing Chris Cornell back a second time would have been a stroke of genius. A slower, more melancholic companion piece to YKNM would have made a very cool tie between the two films, imo.

#5 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:24 AM

- The overall lack of originality
- The rushed direction.
- Confusing editing.

Now, to answer the topic title, my least preferred scene was the piss poor climax at Perla De Las Dunas. It becomes laughable if you compare that with the falling Venice house in CR or any other climax from the last 21 Bondfilms.

#6 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:38 AM

Hmmm. There's nothing I didn't really like - there was something good in every scene but if I've got to say something, it would be the fact that it all moved a bit too fast and was over far to soon.

#7 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:57 AM

The editing of the action scenes, the pacing of some portions of the movie, and the underuse of several characters. These are all fairly minor quibbles though. I certainly enjoyed it overall.

#8 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:10 PM

Another thing that looked a bit silly to me: during the boat chase in Haiti, Bond picks up an old wreck of a fishing boat, and it turns to have the hell of a powerful engine. No, really! :(

#9 Brooky

Brooky

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

- The editing of the film (especially the action scenes).
- OTT action scenes, particularly the freefall sequence.
- Not enough spying.
- The gunbarrel was too fast and should have been at the beginning of the film.
- The title song.
- The pacing of the film.