1228 replies to this topic

#1171 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:35 PM

FYI - Jan 2009 was the biggest BO on record, Feb 2009 is also near the top. You seem to want to justify to yourself rather than anyone else about QOS BO performance.

LOL. Quantum was released in the 4th Quarter, which history will show was the worst quarter since the early 1930s. The stats are real. I didn't make them up.

My friend, you're deluded if you think multiple repeat viewings of QOS weren't impacted by the depresssion.

Let me suggest that real estate values in your area (New York) are going to keep tumbling as those who lost their jobs in Wall Street make their way down to Washington and get employed in the ever-expanding Big Government sector currently being developed to counter the depression.

Good Luck.

2009 is getting worse 'my friend' not better! Really I'm not deluded. Not at all. But then Taken and Mall Cop have taken over $100m so doesn't seem to have effected their BO does it? Now, get back to your day job and stop huffing and puffing!

New info is coming out about the recent past all the time.

The fact is that Consumer Discretionary Income has gone UP in the 1st Quarter for three reasons:

1) Lower gasoline prices since October has increased discretionary income
2) Lower taxes.
3) Parts of the 'Stimulus Package' is helping to boost income slightly.

Q4 of 2008 was a lot worse for the consumer in the aggregate.

In addition, it's true that Taken and Mall Cop did $100 million in Q1 but where did I say movies were not going to do $100+ business anymore. Plus 'event' pics or critically acclaimed films that strike a chord will always do well. Also, Taken and Mall Cop didn't/won't do nearly $170 million like Q0S did.

Once again, I have stats and charts suggesting that Q4 '08 was the worst for Consumer Spending...worse than what Q1 '09 is turning out to be.

Are you serious - are you really serious?? Errr, you are wrong in so many languages! GDP is predicted to be negative for Q1. Just one example.. http://www.reuters.c...440189320090304

GDP for Q1 is suppose/projected to come in at minus 5.5 percent...but Q4 GDP was WORSE at minus 6.2 percent!!!

Q1 GDP is predicted to be negative. Yes. But Q4 was also negative...likely more negative.

#1172 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:32 PM

FYI - Jan 2009 was the biggest BO on record, Feb 2009 is also near the top. You seem to want to justify to yourself rather than anyone else about QOS BO performance.

LOL. Quantum was released in the 4th Quarter, which history will show was the worst quarter since the early 1930s. The stats are real. I didn't make them up.

My friend, you're deluded if you think multiple repeat viewings of QOS weren't impacted by the depresssion.

Let me suggest that real estate values in your area (New York) are going to keep tumbling as those who lost their jobs in Wall Street make their way down to Washington and get employed in the ever-expanding Big Government sector currently being developed to counter the depression.

Good Luck.

2009 is getting worse 'my friend' not better! Really I'm not deluded. Not at all. But then Taken and Mall Cop have taken over $100m so doesn't seem to have effected their BO does it? Now, get back to your day job and stop huffing and puffing!

The fact is that Consumer Discretionary Income has gone UP in the 1st Quarter for three reasons:

2) Lower taxes.

In addition, it's true that Taken and Mall Cop did $100 million in Q1 but where did I say movies were not going to do $100+ business anymore. Plus 'event' pics or critically acclaimed films that strike a chord will always do well. Also, Taken and Mall Cop didn't/won't do nearly $170 million like Q0S did.

Once again, I have stats and charts suggesting that Q4 '08 was the worst for Consumer Spending...worse than what Q1 '09 is turning out to be.

Are you serious - are you really serious?? Errr, you are wrong in so many languages! GDP is predicted to be negative for Q1. Just one example.. http://www.reuters.c...440189320090304

GDP for Q1 is suppose/projected to come in at minus 5.5 percent...but Q4 GDP was WORSE at minus 6.2 percent!!!

Q1 GDP is predicted to be negative. Yes. But Q4 was also negative...likely more negative.

Hilly – stop there – you’re digging yourself into a hole. Your argument is based on the notion that the RATE of decrease may be less in Q1 2009 than Q4 2008. While this is not necessarily the case and in fact the rate of decrease may very well be higher in Q1 2009 (up to 10% worst case scenario), let’s say, for the sake of (your) argument, that it is less. This still means that things are getting WORSE not better.
For illustration, let’s say that GDP starts at 100. In one quarter is falls to 80. That’s a 20% fall. The following quarter it drops to 70. That’s 12.5% drop. So, the RATE of decrease has declined but the economy has gotten smaller in absolute terms. Things are worse, they have not got better. The economy is smaller and people are less well off when GDP is at 70.
You seem to not understand that just because the rate of decline gets less, things in absolute terms get worse.
I am really surprised for a bond trader you don’t seem to understand this???

#1173 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

UPDATED...

Posted Image
CommanderBond.net rounds up all the latest details (Updated Weekly)

#1174 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

Good Luck.

2) Lower taxes.

Hilly – stop there – you’re digging yourself into a hole. Your argument is based on the notion that the RATE of decrease may be less in Q1 2009 than Q4 2008. While this is not necessarily the case and in fact the rate of decrease may very well be higher in Q1 2009 (up to 10% worst case scenario), let’s say, for the sake of (your) argument, that it is less. This still means that things are getting WORSE not better.
For illustration, let’s say that GDP starts at 100. In one quarter is falls to 80. That’s a 20% fall. The following quarter it drops to 70. That’s 12.5% drop. So, the RATE of decrease has declined but the economy has gotten smaller in absolute terms. Things are worse, they have not got better. The economy is smaller and people are less well off when GDP is at 70.
You seem to not understand that just because the rate of decline gets less, things in absolute terms get worse.
I am really surprised for a bond trader you don’t seem to understand this???

The Stock market has gotten worse and the GDP expectations for Q1 are indeed negative with preliminary numbers as low as -7 % (Goldman, Sachs) and as high as -5.5 % but those numbers are not in yet. No one is expecting -10 % Q1 '09 GDP. No one. In fact Citi Bank reported profits for January and February this morning...so things are not horrible everywhere.

There are pockets of slight growth out there. Little saplings growing out of the ashes.

Further gasoline prices are down since Q0S opened and lower gasoline prices have boosted Consumer Discretionary Income between then and now, as have lower mortgage rates on refinancings. These are statistical facts. I have not made up stuff like gasoline prices and lower mortgage rates.

In essence we are discussing Consumer Discretionary Income from which the component of spending on movies comes from. This part of the economy has NOT gotten worse. If you have an e-mail address, I can send you charts/stats from Barclays Bank and Credit Suisse showing so.

Regardless, one thing is clear, the B)ty economy in Q4 had a significant impact on Movie Spending and it's one reason why Madagascar 2 didn't do $200 Million and why Q0S didn't do materially more box office than CR.

There can be no denying that.

#1175 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:09 PM

Hilly – you are now trying to confuse the issue even more rather than clarifying it.

Your last few posts demonstrated that you don’t understand the basic principles of economic growth/decline or the effect that stimulus packages and tax breaks have on the economy so I’m not even going to try and unravel your last web of convoluted exclamations.

The point is that BO didn’t actually go down last year. Yes, attendance was slightly down but it was counteracted by higher ticket prices. Furthermore, the first 9 weeks of 2009 has shown a 14.8% increase in cinema attendance from the first nine weeks of last year despite the worsening economy.

QoS has done excellent BO internationally. Had it not been for the strengthening dollar it would have beaten CR in dollar terms. I have not, or even indicated, anything less. However, in North America, I am telling you, the movie slightly, did you hear me, slightly underperformed. When you take into account its outstanding opening weekend and its final box office tally, this is a self-evident fact. The fact that Q0S did not hit $200m has nothing to do with the economy – it’s to do with audiences not really digging it as much they dig a $200m movie.

Regardless of the economy, at least for the time being, people will go to the movies if they want to go to the movies, the 14.8% mentioned above demonstrates that.

That is not to say it wasn’t a hit. It was – as I’ve said all along. The reason I keep contributing to this thread is your arguments on audience ceilings or negative GDP or tax breaks that haven’t come through are just ill-informed. If it wasn’t for your aggressive and indignant tone I’d leave it at that but it’s such good sport I can’t resist pointing out your mistakes.

Edited by MrKidd, 10 March 2009 - 06:09 PM.

#1176 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

I'm being aggressive? B)

You're the one taking digs at me for 'sport'.

And look who's the fool...you just played into my hands when you say:

...the first 9 weeks of 2009 has shown a 14.8% increase in cinema attendance from the first nine weeks of last year despite the worsening economy.

I said Q1 is looking better for Consumer Discretionary Income and Spending. You just proved it.

#1177 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

I'm being aggressive? B)

You're the one taking digs at me for 'sport'.

And look who's the fool...you just played into my hands when you say:

...the first 9 weeks of 2009 has shown a 14.8% increase in cinema attendance from the first nine weeks of last year despite the worsening economy.

I said Q1 is looking better for Consumer Discretionary Income and Spending. You just proved it.

Hilly, Hilly, Hilly, Hilly - you're not listening are you? The 14.8% increase is compared to Q1 LAST year (not to Q4 of last year). Are you suggesting that discretionary expenditure is greater now than then? Are you? Thought not! Are you going to have another go or will you go to your basket like a good boy now?

#1178 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:27 PM

I'm suggesting Consumer Discretionary Income and Spening is greater in Q1 (which we're still in) than Q4 '08.

Here is why:

1. LOWER ENERGY PRICES have boosted real income quarter-over-quarter.

2. Higher Transfer Income. This includes a large cost-of-living adjustment for Social Security and Supplemental Security Income as well as higher unemployment payments and higher payouts under the Earned Income Tax Credit.

3. LOWER TAXES have boosted disposable income. YOU ASK HOW ARE PEOPLE PAYING LOWER TAXES? ANSWER: Last year's stock market weakness has lead to households having to pay less estimated taxes.

I'm not making this stuff up.

Go to post #1239 in this thread which illustrates a marked decline in H2 Spending on Movies. There has been a rebound from the trough of Q4 which is what's happening now in Q1.

#1179 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:48 PM

I'm suggesting Consumer Discretionary Income and Spening is greater in Q1 (which we're still in) than Q4 '08.

Here is why:

2. Higher Transfer Income. This includes a large cost-of-living adjustment for Social Security and Supplemental Security Income as well as higher unemployment payments and higher payouts under the Earned Income Tax Credit.

3. LOWER TAXES have boosted disposable income. YOU ASK HOW ARE PEOPLE PAYING LOWER TAXES? ANSWER: Last year's stock market weakness has lead to households having to pay less estimated taxes.

Go to post #1239 in this thread which illustrates a marked decline in H2 Spending on Movies. There has been a rebound from the trough of Q4 which is what's happening now in Q1.

I bet I could play fetch with you for ages but your economic understanding is all over the place.

You’re getting pieces of information from lots of places but not putting them together properly.

Try to go back to fundamentals – marginal increases/decreases in social security do not explain short term demand for cinema tickets – really.

Your point about less taxes because of stock market weakness is hilarious. By your account it means that because I’ve lost money on the stock market I pay less taxes so I feel rich and go to the movies????????? Love it!

Demand for movie tickets is highly inelastic – your ‘analysis’ suggests that it fluctuates like the yen

As I said, your understanding of basic economics makes fun reading for someone like me – and your tenacity in the face of defeat has to be admired.

If you come a little closer I’ll give your belly a good long scratch.

#1180 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:22 PM

Yes, attendance was slightly down [in 2008]...

In North America Quantum of Solace slightly, did you hear me, slightly underperformed.

Done.

#1181 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:41 PM

In North America Quantum of Solace slightly, did you hear me, slightly underperformed.

Done.

That's "done" for you. But it seems that's not enough for HildebrandRarity, perhaps it would be done for him if MrKidd would say a nonsense like 'QOS smashed CR in USA's BO'.

#1182 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

Done.

That's "done" for you. But it seems that's not enough for HildebrandRarity, perhaps it would be done for him if MrKidd would say a nonsense like 'QOS smashed CR in USA's BO'.

Yaaayyy - its gang warfare. Me and Mr A-B versus you lot..god, its so thrilling, I feel like Cagney and Lacey B)

#1183 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:59 PM

Well have fun with that I guess.

#1184 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:10 AM

Im still trying to figure out how QoS "underperformed" its way in the US to becoming the highest grossing Bond movie ever released in the country...

#1185 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:12 AM

Fuzzy math.

#1186 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:47 AM

Here is why:

I bet I could play fetch with you for ages but your economic understanding is all over the place.

You’re getting pieces of information from lots of places but not putting them together properly.

Try to go back to fundamentals – marginal increases/decreases in social security do not explain short term demand for cinema tickets – really.

Your point about less taxes because of stock market weakness is hilarious. By your account it means that because I’ve lost money on the stock market I pay less taxes so I feel rich and go to the movies????????? Love it!

Demand for movie tickets is highly inelastic – your ‘analysis’ suggests that it fluctuates like the yen

As I said, your understanding of basic economics makes fun reading for someone like me – and your tenacity in the face of defeat has to be admired.

You love to take little bits and rip them apart but have no idea of the big picture and what's going on in the aggregate, conveniently forgetting the biggest component of increased discretionary income: lower energy prices.

Once again lower gasoline/energy prices have had the biggest impact on improving Consumer Discretionary Income from Q4 to Q1, helped partly by increased transfers and lower expected taxes.

I've provided you with concrete data (see post 1239) yet you rather take pot shots at me.

Wonderful.

I don't have time to waste on you. I have no idea what you do for a living but obviously you weren't smart enough to keep your job in finance so i'll leave it at that. Bum[censored]!

#1187 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:46 PM

Here is why:

You love to take little bits and rip them apart but have no idea of the big picture and what's going on in the aggregate, conveniently forgetting the biggest component of increased discretionary income: lower energy prices.

Once again lower gasoline/energy prices have had the biggest impact on improving Consumer Discretionary Income from Q4 to Q1, helped partly by increased transfers and lower expected taxes.

I've provided you with concrete data (see post 1239) yet you rather take pot shots at me.

Wonderful.

I don't have time to waste on you. I have no idea what you do for a living but obviously you weren't smart enough to keep your job in finance so i'll leave it at that. Bum[censored]!

Errr, I’m missing the bigger picture?? I don’t think so Rover. If after all I’ve discredited you with all you have left is the energy prices – let’s focus on that shall we?

The price declines you see in the market haven’t been passed on to the same extent at the gas pumps. In fact this can vary widely state by state and while prices have indeed dropped from last summer’s high we haven’t seen a fraction of the decline that you see in the wholesale market.

Second, any increase in discretionary income because of gas prices (if for the sake of your argument there is) is completely outweighed by the record levels of unemployment – close to 9% now – not much discretionary income there!

The other thing you don’t seem to understand is that GDP is shrinking, this means the economy is getting smaller, or on aggregate people are less well off – you get it?

For the life of me I just can’t understand why you insist the economy is in better shape now then it was 3-6 months ago??!! To quote Warren Buffet – that would be the richest guy in the world – the US economy has fallen off a cliff (he said this this week in case you don’t read the newspapers).

As for what I do for a living. I thought I mentioned in a previous post – nothing..I live off the interest from the money I made from second rate traders and bankers. I’m in my 30’s and lucky enough to never have to see the inside of an office again. I spend my days with my family, generally goofing off, going on vacation, taking the kids to playgroups, you get the idea – with the occasional post on CBn. If that makes me dumb, then call me dumb.

I have to say that the vast majority of posters on this site seem enthusiastic, genuine fans of Bond and a fair few are extremely eloquent and intelligent people. I like this place a lot.

Have I addressed your questions, Hilly, or do you want to carry on playing fetch? XX

Edited by MrKidd, 11 March 2009 - 05:06 PM.

#1188 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:01 PM

UPDATED...

Posted Image
CommanderBond.net rounds up all the latest details (Updated Weekly)

#1189 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

For the life of me I just can’t understand why you insist the economy is in better shape now then it was 3-6 months ago??!! To quote Warren Buffet – that would be the richest guy in the world – the US economy has fallen off a cliff (he said this this week in case you don’t read the newspapers)....

...and since then the stock market has rallied 16 percent in one week.

Tell me more.

Q1 is shaping up to be not as bad as Q4 - and that's why your numbers (the ones which say movie spending is UP year-to-date in '09) are better than in Nov and Dec.

#1190 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:34 PM

For the life of me I just can’t understand why you insist the economy is in better shape now then it was 3-6 months ago??!! To quote Warren Buffet – that would be the richest guy in the world – the US economy has fallen off a cliff (he said this this week in case you don’t read the newspapers)....

...and since then the stock market has rallied 16 percent in one week.

Tell me more.

Q1 is shaping up to be not as bad as Q4 - and that's why your numbers (the ones which say movie spending is UP year-to-date in '09) are better than in Nov and Dec.

Rover, you’re a piece of work! I think I love you. B) Once again, you demonstrate a lack of understanding on market indicators.
First – you’re ascribing last weeks rally with cinema ticket sales from the first 6 weeks of the year? Really???? (don't you know markets look forward not backwards???)
Second, you are ascribing an inelastic trend in cinema tickets with a short term stock market movement which currently has a volatility of 50% (as measured by the VIX) – a measure that is nearly double what it was on 9-11! Really????? Hardly comparing like-with-like are we?
Thirdly – look how the market reacted to the Fed’s decision to buy Treasuries today – hardly a sign that ANYONE thinks we’ve bottomed out!
Finally - let's say you're correct and spending/growth IS up nearly 15% from December 2008 to January 2009 - that would mean the US has had the greatest growth rate on record - the economy is booming like no other economy has ever grown before - all turned around within 1 month!! Really??? Just in case you're unaware - China and India, the fastest growing economies in the world have averaged a rate between 8-11% over the last decade. Hey, does that mean the US is now an emerging market???

Never mind – good boy! Maybe you can explain to me why the US is not dependent on China to buy their Treasuries as you’ve described in other threads. Really?????!!! :tdown:

PS - try and remember what I said about the rate of decline - yes, it may be less than Q4 2008 but the economy is still shrinking - its just the rate of decline that is less. You still don't get that point do you? XX

Edited by MrKidd, 19 March 2009 - 02:12 PM.

#1191 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

I only care about things like the rate of change, momuntum, etc.

Q1 09 is turing out to be less worse than Q4 08 in terms of consumer discretionary income.

Yesterday's move in the bond market was less to do with what you say and more to do with stupid traders being caught short Treasuries thinking the Fed would not explicitly announce aggressive quantitative easing measures.

#1192 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:58 PM

Hilly, this topic is, generally speaking, pretty dull and only enjoyed by wonks such as myself. It’s just that I’ve enjoyed seeing you hold yourself out as an ‘expert’ and then spew out your half-baked theories. Anyway, there comes a point at which fun transgresses into bullying – and unfortunately I feel I’m now exploiting you for my own amusement. I’m going to call it quits now – no fun for me, no fun for anyone any more.

If it helps you sleep then I am sure the record box office success of early 2009 is down to a booming economy and nothing to do with the fact that people just want to see films they enjoy.

And apparently, it’s not just me, but everybody doesn’t know what they’re taking about. In fact, not even the economy itself knows what it’s talking about!! http://www.bloomberg...6...&refer=home

Get some sleep now, Hilly

Edited by MrKidd, 19 March 2009 - 07:04 PM.

#1193 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:56 PM

Hilly, this topic is, generally speaking, pretty dull and only enjoyed by wonks such as myself. It’s just that I’ve enjoyed seeing you hold yourself out as an ‘expert’ and then spew out your half-baked theories. Anyway, there comes a point at which fun transgresses into bullying – and unfortunately I feel I’m now exploiting you for my own amusement. I’m going to call it quits now – no fun for me, no fun for anyone any more.

If it helps you sleep then I am sure the record box office success of early 2009 is down to a booming economy and nothing to do with the fact that people just want to see films they enjoy.

And apparently, it’s not just me, but everybody doesn’t know what they’re taking about. In fact, not even the economy itself knows what it’s talking about!! http://www.bloomberg...6...&refer=home

Get some sleep now, Hilly

The problem with HildebrandRarity is that he isn't able to tolerate to anyone pointing out something 'not so positive' about his favourite movie (or near masterpiece, as he call it), so he become mad, and can go on and on making nonsense arguments to defend even the impossible, in any topic about QOS.

Edited by Mr. Arlington Beech, 19 March 2009 - 08:01 PM.

#1194 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:13 PM

The problem with HildebrandRarity is that he isn't able to tolerate to anyone pointing out something 'not so positive' about his favourite movie (or near masterpiece, as he call it), so he become mad, and can go on and on making nonsense arguments to defend even the impossible, in any topic about QOS.

I completely agree. I'm sorry Hildebrand, but he's right. You really need to tone stuff down. Face it, Quantum of Solace is not a masterpiece, far from it. It's a cracking good film, don't get me wrong. But it still has a B) load of flaws...

• Editing
  • Not much character development
  • Gaping plot holes
  • Too much action
  • Confusing action sequences
  • Pointless action sequences
  • Run Time
I'm sorry, but Quantum of Solace is far from a masterpiece. Believe me, I'm very defensive over it, because it is a brilliantly entertaining movie. I can recognise it's flaws and see other peoples points of view.

#1195 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:11 PM

B)

#1196 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:14 PM

• Run Time

Care to elaborate on this one, MHarkin? I actually found the brisk pace to be refreshing breath of fresh air after the (slightly!) too long Casino Royale. And I say this as someone who was at first alarmed that Bond #22 would be only 106 minutes.

#1197 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:38 PM

:tdown:

Proves my point. B)

• Run Time

Care to elaborate on this one, MHarkin?

Of course. :tdown:

I just think that, even though the pacing is very good. I still think that the movie could of done with around 20 - 25 mins of just dialogue scenes. It really would've helped space out the action. I mean, imagine an extended interrogation scene, with a back story of White's character. In fact, even though the film starts off brilliantly, I do think that it would've been great to see Bond throw White in the boot, and see how the hell his men got onto him.

What happened with the Bond/Greene convo at the end, aswell? He was questioned off screen. Even though Quantum is very mysterious, I really do think that we should've seen the Bond/Greene conversation.

It would also be nice to see..
  • More Greene and Elvis
  • More Camille and Greene
  • More Mathis and Bond
  • More Field's
I wouldn't complain. One thing this film lacked was a sufficient amount of character development. :)

#1198 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:32 AM

QUANTUM's pacing is definitely one of its advantages, 'padding out' areas with dialogue would have been detrimental to that. Showing Bond methodically place White in the boot and then showing the lead up to the chase would've ruined the whole point of that PTS.

I do like the idea of a bit more Fields though.

#1199 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

QUANTUM's pacing is definitely one of its advantages, 'padding out' areas with dialogue would have been detrimental to that.

The fact of the matter is:

Q0S is the BEST PACED Bond film ever.

Q0S is the BEST ACTED Bond film ever.

Q0S is the most financially successful Bond film in recent memory - inspite of the fact that it was released in the WORST QUARTER FOR SPENDING ON MOVIES EVER!

#1200 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:16 PM

The fact of the matter is:

Q0S is the BEST PACED Bond film ever.

Agree

Q0S is the BEST ACTED Bond film ever.

Agree
Q0S is the most financially successful Bond film in recent memory - inspite of the fact that it was released in the WORST QUARTER FOR SPENDING ON MOVIES EVER!

Agree (though this thread has proved that there are, indeed, lies, damned lies and statistics...)

In my opinion, it is also the best directed Bond film. By a mile.