This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

On Her Majesty's secret service is the best Bond movie ever.

63 replies to this topic

#1 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 23 March 2002 - 02:40 PM

sorry, I just had to say it, I love this film and George is the best Bond......Peter Hunt's direction is wonderful, the screenplay is great, everything works and Diana is the best Bond girl......anyone agree?

#2 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 23 March 2002 - 07:31 PM

Its in my top 6....

Certainly the top two or three in Score

And Dianna Rigg is the best bond actress

And probably the best directed and edited of the movies which made Lazenby look "better"

And Best Ski Scene which says a lot given TSWLM, FYEO, AVTAK and TWINE (30 yrs later) ski scenes

Plus bond's relationship to Tracy in this movie links the other bond actors like no other movie...Moore (TSWLM mojaba club, FYEO pretitles), Dalton (LTK wedding night) PB (GE on the beach, TWINE outside shrine) and, perhaps, Connery (DAF pretitles) which makes OHMSS a SPECIAL movie.

one problem...imagine sitting in the theatre in 1969 after having been used to Connery after the height of Bondmania in North America (I think Thunderball sold 70 million tickets....think about that....that is probably more tickets than TITANIC in 1997/98 or any star wars movie at its release) and seeing no Connery. PLUS the ending being a REAL REAL DOWNER.

In retrospect OHMSS looks like a real gem...an inspired epic...but if you left the theatre in 1969 upon watching it the first time, you would have said that the movie wasnt as good as Goldfinger, FRWL or Thunderball.

there is a reason why OHMSS took a couple of years to "make money" but that should not take away from what, in RETROSPECT, is one of the greatest bond movies.

#3 chronicliar

chronicliar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 March 2002 - 07:50 PM

It is the best. I am a film student and love all types of movies but OHMSS is my favorite movie. It is so cool, breathtaking, and unique! Everything about it is amazing!!!!!!!

#4 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 23 March 2002 - 09:43 PM

I can't believe it.......there are a load of people out there who love OHMSS!!!!!!!!!
It's been my favourite film ever since I first saw it. And now when I go to pick one to watch it's always the first one I pick.

OHMSS RULES!!!!!!!!

In the DVD docu, Peter Hunt says that George Lazenby is the best James Bond.....I concur 100%!!

#5 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 24 March 2002 - 05:59 PM

Like Ray T said - the best ski sequence in a Bond movie.
Look how hard TWINE tries to imitate it.

#6 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 24 March 2002 - 06:47 PM

I think the last 45 minutes to an hr of OHMSS is magnificent stuff, from the time he escapes from Piz Gloria to the end credits. It also has one of if not the best scores in Bond film.

Unfortunately I think the first hour is very static and drags unmercifully, mostly because it's drama and not action based and George Lazenby is just not an actor capable of holding center stage and supporting that drama. He's far more at home with his fists (and I could do without that speeded up motion, I know heresy) than with dialogue. He has very limited facial and vocal expressions. Not for a moment do I believe Bond is actually in love with Tracy b/c GL's range is so limited. Yes he has one good moment at the end of the film but a good moment does not a performance make.

Compare and contrast to the talented and luminescent Diana Rigg, her face first masked by pain later glows with love. But in many scenes it's almost as if she's acting alone. GL may have been game and willing but he wasn't skilled enough for this film. He'd have been better of in a more action intensive Bond, at least for his first few films. The pacing and the dramatic impetus of the film just isn't condusive to his limited skill as an actor.

And the film grinds to a halt for 1/2 an hr when he's being dubbed as Sir Hillary Bray. (exceddingly cheesy concept) Not to mention Bond's "great love" looks decidely less great when he's making it with the allergy chics and he's doesn't exactly look like he's just closing his eyes and doing it for Queen and Country.

Thats' why for me OHMMS while a great idea, with many great elements is more promise than execution. But that last action packed hour is as I said magnificent stuff.

MBE

#7 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 12:35 PM

Glad to see many positive comments, it is my favorite Bond film for many reasons. The only down side of is that it was a shame that Peter Hunt did not get his wish and have the death of Tracy as the pre title to DAF.

#8 OO7Qbranch

OO7Qbranch

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 03:51 AM

Definately somethng special about this movie that no other bond movie has. One night i was watching ohmss n i thought that there areso many people who ridicule this film and i wondered what ian fleming would've thought about it. what doyou all think.

#9 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 03:05 AM

How can you not like a Bond film where Bond beats the hell out of Kojak? Seriously, it's one of the best Bond movies ever made, and also one of the best action films ever.

#10 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 April 2002 - 07:42 PM

I don't see it as much of a surprise that OHMSS is rated highly by Bond fans. OK some may criticise Lazenby, but at worst he is inexperienced but at least earnest. He tries, and that's a darn sight more than could be said of some disinterested performances we've seen.

That aside there are so many great aspects. The locales, photography and action are great. One of the best fist-fights, George doing a lot of his own action, and the best score of any Bond. It's got a lot going for it.

It's right up there with the classics for me.

#11 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 06 April 2002 - 08:19 PM

Yes OHMSS is a great movie however (i don't want spoil the party but) it could never be the best Bond for me as no matter what anyone says Lazenby was bad, really bad, his ears stick out like a teddy bear, he looks absolutely pathetic in a kilt, he was far too cocky, he isn't in the slightest bit suave, he isn't sophisticated, and his acting range was far too limited.

Secondly I find Diana Rigg totally unattractive, she may be a good actress and the scene with Blofeld @ dawn is one of my favs, however she'll always have a pigs nose.

I also hate the 'This never happened to the other fella' line, it makes me cringe.

The rest of it I love.

#12 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 April 2002 - 09:42 PM

Well, if Diana Rigg is to be one of your cast offs, then I would mind taking her off your hands. Thanks.

#13 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 08:24 PM

mrmoon (06 Apr, 2002 09:19 p.m.):

I  hate the 'This never happened to the other fella' line, it makes me cringe.

I used to hate this line until I found a way to weave it into the film. I stopped looking at it as referring to Connery, but thought 'Hey, Tracy's trying to kill herself. Bond goes after her to protect her. Get's in a fight.
Maybe he's not the first guy to protect Tracy and maybe another feller who did, didn't have any trouble.'

Difficult to understand, the way I've put it. But, think about it and it all makes sense.

#14 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 08:31 PM

I wouldn't say OHMSS is the best Bond, but it is definately ONE of the best! Although changing Blofeld three times and then not have him notice who Bond is, is a bit strange!

#15 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 08:56 PM

Yeah, one part I don't like about OHMSS is that Blofeld did'nt recognise Bond in his 'Sir Hillary Bray' disgiuse, as he'd met Bond in YOLT. I'd like to agree with Mr Moon and say that George Lazenby was really bad, although he might have got better had he been in more Bond films. also, Diana Rigg was not attractive at all and lastly, George could at least of cried when Tracy died, all he did was say 'its alright, we have all the time in the world'. Roger Moore did better in emotional scenes like in TSWLM and FYEO.

#16 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 05:00 AM

George did cry in the first take of that scene. Peter Hunt then told him they had to do it again, because "James Bond does not cry"

#17 bondizback

bondizback

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2002 - 03:00 PM

Amen, brother. You couldn't be more right.

It's one of the strange "secrets" of the series that the most ridiculed (and now, by ABC, ignored) Bond film is actually the best.

And what a great ending!

#18 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 05:28 AM

Thanks for setting the record straight there Jimmy.
OHMSS was the first Bond I saw, and none of the others, for all their respective merits, have equalled it for excitement, suspense action or drama. It stands up well to repeated viewings.

#19 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 10:50 AM

I must say I always use OHMSS as the benchmark to compare the latest Bond release. They all fail, so the next benchmark is to compare it the last movie. That’s why I get excited about the latest Bond film in production because that one may beat my benchmark and become my all time favorite.

#20 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 10:40 PM

Ethan Hunt (07 Apr, 2002 09:31 p.m.):
...not have him notice who Bond is, is a bit strange!

To be fair, Bond was in his Japanese disguise when they met in YOLT.

#21 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 01:45 AM

mrmoon (06 Apr, 2002 09:19 p.m.):
Lazenby was bad, really bad, his ears stick out like a teddy bear, he looks absolutely pathetic in a kilt,

Charles' ears stick out, and he wears a kilt...and he's going to be the King! So therefore Lazenby's ears are a tribute to the Prince of Wales. Hmm I seem to have lost it... ^_^

But anywho, On Her Majesty

#22 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 07:55 AM

RossMan (22 Apr, 2002 11:40 p.m.):
To be fair, Bond was in his Japanese disguise when they met in YOLT.

Only sort of. Bond turns up at the volcano in his unique Japanese disguise, sans toupee, but slowly through the course of the next few scenes the disguise simply vanishes, so that by the time he dresses to be an astronaut he has got all his hair and his British complexion back.

#23 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 23 March 2002 - 05:07 PM

glad I'm not alone....

#24 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 23 March 2002 - 06:50 PM

rafterman, you are absolutely right. OHMSS is a great Bond, one of the best Bond films ever made.

#25 Sanchez

Sanchez

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 March 2002 - 07:05 PM

Whilst OHMSS is not my absolute favourite I would have to say that it is a real cracker of a movie and one of the very best of the series.

#26 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:56 PM

I am rather fond of the film.

#27 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

doublenoughtspy, do you know whether Connery read the script for OHMSS or knew what they were planning to do with the film, particularly with its ending? If so, it's somewhat surprising that he turned it down. I never used to waste precious brain cells wondering whether OHMSS would have been a better film had Connery starred in it (I've always found Lazenby very effective and suiting the material just fine) - until, that is, the other day, when I saw his remarkable performance in THE OFFENCE and for the first time started to entertain the possibility that he could indeed have pulled off the emotionally shattering final scene of OHMSS had he put his mind to it.

Or do you think that Eon would have made OHMSS as a campier, more lighthearted and fantastical Bond film along the lines of YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE had Connery been persuaded to come aboard? In other words, did Connery's departure somehow free Eon up for a change in tone and a more down-to-earth Bond flick? Or had they been planning all along to make OHMSS in the way they did?

#28 Lachesis

Lachesis

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 394 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

It's certainly my favourtie film for many of the reasons identified in the OP, its balance and the integration of action and intrigue are pitch perfect imo However although I think Lazenby isnt deserving of the criticism he has had for his performance I don't think he can be championed as among its stronger virtues.... but oddly sometimes its actually the little flaws that enable you to access and enjoy the remainder of the film even more.

#29 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:08 PM

I LOVE OHMSS. It's in my top 3, and the scenes are just amazing, and Laz is a terrific Bond.

#30 AlwaysanAston

AlwaysanAston

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:00 AM

I couldn't agree more! OHMSS was the first Bond movie I remember seeing as a kid. It played as the weekend movie on ABC television. It was the movie that started my appreciation and some times obsession with the Bond films. Now that I'm much older, I appreciate it even more. I enjoy the film's exciting locations and how it showed Bond relying more on his abilities as a spy than on the tricks and toys from Q branch. I've been working my way through Flemming's original novels and having just finished OHMSS, I can say that it only adds to my enjoyment of how true the directors and writers stayed to Flemming's story. Its too bad we didn't see George put on the tux for at least the follow up film as he seeks revenge for Tracy.

Edited by AlwaysanAston, 30 October 2010 - 12:01 AM.