Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:29 AM

Now on the CBn main page...

Posted Image
'Blast From The Past', 'Midsummer Night's Doom', 'Live at Five' and 'The Heart of Erzulie'

#2 Strangways

Strangways

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:40 AM

Rarely, if ever, mentioned, but Janet Davies, the reporter in "Live at Five" is also one the very few real-live persons to appear as themselves in a James Bond story. That she gets to "date" Bond at the end might be considered a plus for her resume! She has been the local color reporter at Chicago's ABC network affiliate Channel 7 for many years and certainly is worthy of Bond's attention! The artwork of her character in the TV Guide issue is pretty accurate.

#3 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:09 PM

Aaaah, that concept artwork I made for The Heart of Erzulie brings back memories. Cheers, Devin and a great article too! :( I do hope we will be able to read THOE one day.

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:33 AM

Rarely, if ever, mentioned, but Janet Davies, the reporter in "Live at Five" is also one the very few real-live persons to appear as themselves in a James Bond story. That she gets to "date" Bond at the end might be considered a plus for her resume! She has been the local color reporter at Chicago's ABC network affiliate Channel 7 for many years and certainly is worthy of Bond's attention! The artwork of her character in the TV Guide issue is pretty accurate.

Ah yes! Yet another fun little bit of trivia here. :(

Aaaah, that concept artwork I made for The Heart of Erzulie brings back memories. Cheers, Devin and a great article too! :) I do hope we will be able to read THOE one day.

Thanks. I'm hoping that we'll perhaps see it included in another Benson trilogy omnibus (if one follows after the upcoming Union Trilogy).

#5 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:55 PM

I read Blast from the Past for the first time today. Enjoyed it...exciting, dramatic, sexy. It's a continuation story that actually feels like it's in the world Fleming created. Still, even in it's full version, it's too short. I wanted to read so much more.

Edited by manfromjapan, 29 October 2008 - 01:56 PM.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:30 PM

Got to finally read the full story thanks to its uncut appearance in The Union Trilogy. :(

#7 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:36 PM

What did you think, Qwerty?

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:40 PM

It was a bit surprising to have the extended opening, but the entire story seems a bit more rounded this time around.

I'm just glad the entire article was finally printed in English.

#9 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:05 PM

How was the opening to the Playboy version different? I am curious.

#10 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:35 AM

How was the opening to the Playboy version different? I am curious.

The whole part with Kate was not included.

What I find strange is that one Bunt gunman is named Adolf in the full version of Blast From The Past but called Josef in the Playboy edition. What's up with that? Meanwhile, Hans remains Hans in both stories while the remaining gunman isn't named in either version. Did Benson intend to name the three gunmen Hans, Adolf, and Josef? Or is it just an odd name change for the one character while the other remains nameless?

Also, the medical examiner in Blast From The Past is named Stuart Howard, the same name as the London detective inspector in The Facts Of Death and Doubleshot. Surely, a coincidence and not the same character.