7 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:32 PM

So I woke up this morning thinking about Devil May Care, the James Bond novel that only I know how to love. :( Did a little google image search and found some things that I don't think we've seen before. Thought I'd share with all you fan out there. :)

1. Polish cover -- first cover I've seen that doesn't use either the US or UK artwork.

2. Penguin promo letter. This is cool.

3. Swedish(?) advert that plays up Russian location.

4. Okay, not really DMC, but it it reminds me of You Asked For It, so...

Attached Files

#2 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:44 PM

The red title on the Swdish edition looks classy!

Thanks for these, zen!

#3 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:54 PM

1. Polish cover -- first cover I've seen that doesn't use either the US or UK artwork.

Ahem... Well... Maye it should... :(

#4 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:26 PM

The letter was a cute idea, and that last cover is definitely in the vein of You Asked for It.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:06 PM

I really love that letter. I have some press release stuff, but I had never seen this letter. Would love to track down a copy.

#6 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:10 PM

I really love that letter. I have some press release stuff, but I had never seen this letter. Would love to track down a copy.

Why not email the address in the letter and ask? :(

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:35 PM

There is one collectible that haunts me. At the DMC launch party, the room was decorated with Bondian stuff, including copies of DMC sitting on the shelves, etc. Only it wasn't the real book. They were dummies -- proof jackets wrapped around another book. But the proof jacket was a little different; the art and lettering wasn't raised and the inside flaps were blank and stamped 'Top Secret' or something like that.

Why oh why didn't I ask the powers that be if I could have taken one of these at the end of the night!? I'm sure it wouldn't have been a problem. There were dozens of them and I'm sure they were just thrown away after the party. I was so excited about getting the real book (which was given out as a party favor in nifty DMC bag) that it just didn't occur to me that one of these dummies would be a fantastic collectible.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:59 AM

Nice finds, zen.

Interesting to finally see a different style cover, but I'm not loving that Polish one, personally. That Penguin promo letter would be cool to track down. Haven't seen a single one of those pop up on eBay.