55 replies to this topic

#31 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:44 PM

Can anyone think of an example of a movie star who had a REALLY successful facelife?

Well, no, because if a facelift is really successful then you can't tell it's been done. Most of the time, if you can tell someone has had one then that means it's not really that successful, so we'd have to rely on people telling us they've had one. I think we know that's not going to happen.

#32 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

The really stupid thing about cosmetic surgery is that it makes you look like someone else. Not a younger you, just someone else. It amazes me that Hollywood stars, whose entire livelihood depends on the uniqueness of their appearance in a land of generically good-looking people, would willingly screw with their most important asset in this way.

It's interesting to note that there is a movement in Hollywood now to more or less blacklist stars who have had work done, because it ruins their looks (especially in this age of Hi-Def where you can't sneak anything past a viewer).

And yes, Lynda Carter still looks very hot with no plastic surgery. Also Jaclyn Smith, who's flat-out gorgeous though she must be somewhere around 60 now.

As for Roger's appearance in OP, I don't think he looked nearly as old in that as he does now. Out of shape, yes.

#33 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:39 PM

Can anyone think of an example of a movie star who had a REALLY successful facelife?

Well, no, because if a facelift is really successful then you can't tell it's been done. Most of the time, if you can tell someone has had one then that means it's not really that successful, so we'd have to rely on people telling us they've had one. I think we know that's not going to happen.

True, too true.

#34 agentjamesbond007

agentjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:15 AM

Does anyone know if Roger got a facelift, and if he did, then when did he get it?

You really notice those things? I just noticed that the actors who played Bond have an age a little older than the previous.
http://www.bondmovies.com/bond.shtml

#35 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:56 PM

That didn't really answer to my question. That, and there have been people, who have tried to answer this question. Some more successfully than the others.

Thanks anyway! :(

#36 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:54 PM

Does anyone know if Roger got a facelift, and if he did, then when did he get it?

7:33.

#37 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:35 PM

Slightly OT: But where is that thread from CBn where everyone discussed Glen's remark (heard in that youtube clip) that Roger "probably had two or three more [Bond movies] in him."

#38 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:54 PM

Slightly OT: But where is that thread from CBn where everyone discussed Glen's remark (heard in that youtube clip) that Roger "probably had two or three more [Bond movies] in him."

Funny, I recall Mickey G saying something in a Starlog at the time of AVTAK, that he thought Roger looked real good and could probably continue in the role.

#39 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:33 AM

I cannot help but wonder if Roger has had a facelift more recently.
http://3.bp.blogspot...Roger+Moore.jpg

#40 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:15 AM

Before Spectre came out I had a Bondathon and was rewatching all the films when I came to AVTAK and it stopped me dead in my tracks. For the first time ever I found the film to be almost unwatchable. I let the movie finished but I ended up reading and taking a nap. It stopped my Bondathon as well. I ended up skipping the Dalton and Brosnan films and just watched the Craig Bonds the day before I saw Spectre.

#41 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:01 PM

Before Spectre came out I had a Bondathon and was rewatching all the films when I came to AVTAK and it stopped me dead in my tracks. For the first time ever I found the film to be almost unwatchable. I let the movie finished but I ended up reading and taking a nap. It stopped my Bondathon as well. I ended up skipping the Dalton and Brosnan films and just watched the Craig Bonds the day before I saw Spectre.

Just out of interest - what exactly didn't you like about AVTAK? What shocked you so much?

#42 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:23 AM

Roger's face. I thought I had mentioned that in my post but I realize I failed to do that. He just looked so bad, the alleged face lift, the weight loss, the fact that he was pushing 60. It was just too much. Roger's performance is actually good, the spirit willing but the flesh was weak. He should have left after Octopussy.

#43 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:44 AM

Roger's face. I thought I had mentioned that in my post but I realize I failed to do that. He just looked so bad, the alleged face lift, the weight loss, the fact that he was pushing 60. It was just too much. Roger's performance is actually good, the spirit willing but the flesh was weak. He should have left after Octopussy.

I do agree - but he never did look young I don't think. At the very start of MR when he's with the girl - his face even shocked me there! 

#44 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:15 PM

I do agree - but he never did look young I don't think. At the very start of MR when he's with the girl - his face even shocked me there! 

Roger looked great from LALD-TSWLM. His age finally started to show a bit in MR, but no more than Craig's did in SPECTRE.

#45 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

Roger looked great from LALD-TSWLM. His age finally started to show a bit in MR, but no more than Craig's did in SPECTRE.

I beg to differ

still-of-roger-moore-in-moonraker-(1979) 22-spectre.w529.h529.jpg

Edited by Surrie, 08 March 2016 - 03:40 PM.

#46 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:40 PM

I beg to differ

still-of-roger-moore-in-moonraker-(1979) 22-spectre.w529.h529.jpg

I meant relative to Craig's appearance in CR.

#47 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:42 PM

Surrie, I'm not sure which side you're on with those pictures.  Roger looks way better to me in that image than Craig does in his.  In fact, I've never seen any Bond actor age as fast in the role as Craig has.

That said, I'll agree there are moments in MR where Roger looks older than  he does here, and the opening shot on the plane is one of them.  This is typical of his later films, though;  in OP especially he's all over the place, looks-wise.  In the scene where he reveals to M that he switched eggs at the auction, he's looking really old -- older than Robert Brown on the other side of the desk -- but then we cut to India and he suddenly seems to have shaved off at least 5 years, maybe 10.  What's the difference?  The colors of the outfits?  A few days under the Indian sun versus rainy old England?  The hairstyle?  Or was the office scene just shot a lot later than the Indian one?

AVTAK is the worst offender here: at times, like during the horse race against Zorin and his goons, Roger looks healthy and fit.  Other times, like wandering around the party in his white dinner jacket, he looks like he's just risen from his coffin after dying from consumption a month earlier.  I have to think it's down to the shooting schedule.  I've read reports that he was quite sick at one point in the production and lost a lot of weight.  If so, that might account for some of it.  Also, he did have a surgical procedure done, to remove the famous mole, which had become pre-cancerous.  The end result is disorienting; wow, he looks awful...hey, he looks better now...woah, awful again!  It's almost as wild as watching OHMSS and seeing Lazenby's acting go from god-awful to quite good and back again, over and over.  One of the by-products of shooting these things out of sequence.

The really weird part is that a year after AVTAK, Roger was a guest commentator for an American network's (ABC?) coverage of the wedding of Andrew and Fergie, and he looked fantastic.  After AVTAK, I'd written him off as a nursing home resident, but he seemed to be turning back the clock by 1986.

Anyway, it's interesting that as a youngster I never worried about how old he was, and to my young mind, he didn't age one iota from LALD to MR.  When I got around to seeing him in re-runs of The Saint, I was convinced he had a had a portrait in the attic doing his aging for him.  How could a guy who'd been around in -- gasp -- the 60s still look the same?  (Of course in hindsight, he didn't, and the gap between 1967 and 1977 no longer seems so inconceivably vast now that I have socks older than 10).

I will never forget that moment in FYEO, where he's trying to evade Locque's killers on the elevator up to the ski jump, and the only thing showing is  his lower jaw.  My god, was that a "turkey neck"?  He had an old man's wattle showing!  Rarely have I been so crushed as in that moment when I realized my hero was as mortal as the next guy.  After that, I knew the clock was ticking.

As I said, interesting what a kid is willing to forgive.  It's only when we get older that we become unforgiving of age and imperfection.  And then, if we live long enough, we forgive again, because we're in the same boat.  But overall, I'd say that Roger's approach to the role, highlighting brain over brawn and trading hugely on personal charisma, is what let him hang on to such a ripe old age.  If it had been as non-stop, wall-to-wall stunts and fighting as it is these days, he'd never have made it.  And there's very little chance any other actor ever will, including Craig, even if he wanted to.

#48 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:31 PM

Craig started at a younger age so of course it will look like he his aging faster. On top of that we also have longer time between the movies these days...

As for the MR/SP comparison, it is nothing strange if it looks like Craig has "aged faster":

52/46 = 1.13 (Moore)
47/38 = 1.23 (Craig)

#49 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:03 PM

Well in fairness, he actually looks a lot younger in Spectre than he did in Skyfall.  Which kind of screws up the storylines a bit (old and broken down enough for characters to talk of retiring him in SF, but younger-looking and fit as a fiddle 3 years later in SP), but is welcome.  

#50 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:50 PM

Craig started at a younger age so of course it will look like he his aging faster. On top of that we also have longer time between the movies these days...

As for the MR/SP comparison, it is nothing strange if it looks like Craig has "aged faster":

52/46 = 1.13 (Moore)
47/38 = 1.23 (Craig)

I appreciate this!

#51 mattjoes

mattjoes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:47 PM

Other times, like wandering around the party in his white dinner jacket, he looks like he's just risen from his coffin after dying from consumption a month earlier.

Indeed. This is the very worst shot of him in the movie. For some reason, they seem to enjoy using it in the trailers for new boxset releases. The second worst would be the one in which he says "Herr Doktor Mortner would be proud of his creation".

Without the facelift, he wouldn't have looked any younger, but at least we would've been spared that bizarre change in appearance. An older Roger, but still old Roger.

#52 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:21 AM

Well in fairness, he actually looks a lot younger in Spectre than he did in Skyfall.  Which kind of screws up the storylines a bit (old and broken down enough for characters to talk of retiring him in SF, but younger-looking and fit as a fiddle 3 years later in SP), but is welcome.  

I wonder how much of his "oldness" in SF was emphasized on purpose to fit the "old dog" themes of the film. Brutally short hair, make-up and lighting to enhance Craig's wrinkles, etc.

#53 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:01 AM

People don't age consistently though, do they.

Some people can, for years, look exactly the same and then, for a variety of reasons (health, stress, life in general) suddenly seem to age very quickly

#54 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:24 AM

Never noticed Moore´s different looks during AVTAK, I must say.

#55 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:58 AM

Roger, to me, looked impossibly young up to andincluding MR and then looked merely very good indeed for his age in both FYEO and OP.

Edited by DavidJones, 13 March 2016 - 01:58 AM.

#56 BoogieBond

BoogieBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:29 AM

Yes, Moore very good for his age , he looked 10 years younger than his age upto MR. He started to show his age a bit in FYEO, but still looked good enough to pull that movie off. OP and AVTAK is his age shows more. Craig shows his age more, I hope he does another one , but think he should hand the reigns after that to avoid going on too long, as Roger did.