This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Ronin - or how many Bond villians can you have in one movie!?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 10:41 PM

Have just finished watching Ronin, the Robert DeNiro thriller with the wicked car chases through Paris. Great film btw! But one thing I noticed was the shear amount of Bond villians in the film... we've got Sean Bean (Alec Trevelyn), Vincent Price (Elliot Carver) as Seamus and Michael Lonsdale (Drax) as Jean -Piere.

Just wondered if there were any more films out there that featured too many to be a coincidence Bond villians? Ronin has three... can anyone raise me to four?

#2 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 11:20 PM

I can't raise you to four but I feel that I should point out that Carver was played by Jonathan Pryce and not Vincent Price.
Rgds

#3 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 11:45 PM

Originally posted by Evil Doctor Cheese
Just wondered if there were any more films out there that featured too many to be a coincidence Bond villians? Ronin has three... can anyone raise me to four?

No, but I thought of one that equals it.
'Fellowship of the Rings' had Christopher Lee, Sean Bean and Lawrence Makoare.

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 02:37 AM

Another interesting combination of Bond actors was a film called A Business Affair. It starred Pryce as a famous author who was married to Carol Bouquet, Melina of For Your Eyes Only, and Christopher Walken, Zorin of AVTAK, as an agent having an affair with her. If I remember correctly, Pryce punches Walken out at one point.

A few weeks ago, I saw a movie called Triple Cross which had Gert Frobe (Goldfinger) as a Nazi officer and Claudine Auger (Domino) as a love interest. Ironically, the film starred Christopher Plummer as a British con man/thief working against the Nazis while actually working against them. I also think Geoffrey Keene, Frederick Grey, was also in it.

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 22 September 2002 - 04:12 AM

This certainly makes for an easier way to play "The Bond Connection." :)

#6 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 05:25 AM

About a month ago I rented the critically-drubbed The Affair of the Necklace, which features Pryce as a lustful and ambitious cardinal and Walken as the sinister mystic Cagliostro. It also has one of the best actors never to play a Bond villain (so far), Brian Cox.

#7 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 12:45 PM

I remember when I first saw Ronin. It was just a couple of days after I had heard a rumour that Jean Reno had been a front runner for the role of Renard in The World is not Enough.

#8 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 03:24 PM

Asterix! Jean reno would've been wonderful as Renard! He's such a delight to watch as an actor, he is far more interesting than Robert Carlise (sp?)... most probably would've had a better chemistry with Marceau. And whilst we're on the subject of Reno... his character was called Vincent... that's why I re christened Johnanthan Price accidentally! Now Vincent Price as a Bond villain... that's gotta be a must see!

One question... Operation Little Brother the Neil Connery Bond spoof... how many Bond villians did that have in or was it mostly Bond girls and the MI6 cast?

#9 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 04:44 PM

Operation Little Brother the Neil Connery Bond spoof... how many Bond villians did that have in or was it mostly Bond girls and the MI6 cast?

Adolfo Celi and Anthony Dawson played villains.
Bernard Lee, Lois Maxwell and Daniela Bianch also appeared in it.
There may have been others but I couldn't say for sure.

#10 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 07:30 AM

Now Vincent Price as a Bond villain... that's gotta be a must see!

Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams.

Shame it won't happen. We have to make do with whoever is hanging around the RADA waiting room on any given day.

#11 Mousey

Mousey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 05:18 PM

In 'Fellowhip Of The Ring', John Rhys Davies was Gimli so that is one more for that movie.

#12 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:38 AM

Was just watching this tonight and the area where DeNiro asks where the post office is was featured in NSNA. It's the scene where Domino comes ashore and Connery is hiding behind a tree. The place is Villefranche sur mer and it's located along the coast east of Nice and west of Monte Carlo.

#13 A Kristatos

A Kristatos

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I see "Ronin" will be run later today on the This TV Network.  This reminds me of another film with a slew of Bond actors, 1978's "Force 10 From Navarone", the sequel to the 1961 film "The Guns Of Navarone".  The two leads were played by Robert Shaw and future NSNA "M" Edward Fox, parts originally played by Gregory Peck and "sort of future Bond" David Niven.  "Force 10" was directed by Bond director Guy Hamilton, so it's no wonder it also featured Richard Kiel and Barbara Bach.  This film also featured Harrison Ford in one of his earlier roles.

I haven't yet seen "Munich", but I will definitely make it a point to watch that sometime in the near future.  It's obviously a very gripping and somewhat difficult film to watch, dealing with the 1972 Munich Olympics massacre.  This film also featured several Bond actors, including Daniel Craig, Michael Lonsdale, and future QOS villain Mathieu Amalric.

Edited by A Kristatos, 18 August 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#14 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:14 AM

RONIN is a great film IMO. 

I haven't seen Connery's kid brothers film OK CONNERY but have heard about it and its Bond filled cast.

I'd love to see TRIPLE CROSS if I get the chance. 

MUNICH was a great film IMO. 

So it appears THE LORD OF THE RINGS is still the winner. Who would have thought?

Also;

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO had Craig and one previous Bond villain. 

INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE had Connery, John Rhys Davies and the villain from FYEO.

#15 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

I've always wanted to see OK Connery, but it's unfindable!

Edited by Walecs, 19 August 2013 - 10:47 AM.