40 replies to this topic

#31 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:56 AM

Having M as a villain would just increase the Bond-Bourne comparisons; Bourne was always up against his (former) paymaster, and having Bond forced into fighting M isn't going to do the endless James-Bond-is-a-Jason-Boune-rip-off wars.

#32 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:37 AM

But the thing would be M is not actually a villain, she was forced to betray the goverment.

#33 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:38 AM

But the thing would be M is not actually a villain, she was forced to betray the goverment.

Do you really think the Burne fanboys will be able to make that distinction? They barely even recognise thenotion that James Bond has existed on film for forty years longer than Jason Bourne ...

#34 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:44 AM

Yes I can see what you mean.

#35 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:30 AM

Don't get me wrong, I think that if we were in another era, it would work. But in the wake of Jason Bourne, I don't think it would work as well as it may have. It's also not what Bond needs right now; he's just beginning his career as an agent and while M warned him not to trust anyone, the irony is that he has to trust someone, and that someone is her. If she's revealed to be a bad guy (or bad girl), he's probably not going to trust anyone at all, which would just trigger the whole I-don't-trust-you relationship with M's succesor that he currently shares with her.

And ironically enough, it seems many people like this idea of M being forced to work for Quantum because they want to see the back of Judi Dench and the question of Bond's trsutworthiness.

#36 goose007

goose007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:20 AM

maybe make the villian a former 00 like they did in GOLDENEYE. Someone who happened to be a good friend to Bond in his past of some sort. But not M.

#37 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:51 AM

maybe make the villian a former 00 like they did in GOLDENEYE. Someone who happened to be a good friend to Bond in his past of some sort. But not M.

Yeah, but that would just be a GoldenEye retread.

Besides, I would very much imagine there are rules to the use of a Licence to Kill; a Double-Oh Agent simply couldn't kill indiscriminately. His or her licence is probably only valid once they've been dispatched on an assignment and expires with the successful completion. Besides, I always got the impression it was intended as a last resort rather than a first option. Sure, there would be the odd assassination mission, but I think it's more a case of "if you get into a situation and the only way out is to kill someone, you can".

#38 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:02 PM

GOD my hair reached the ceiling! This is very dark Mathew! M as a villain? It'd be very interesting, but there are so many conspiracies on the plot that will MAYBE hurt M's image!

well it could bring in a new a male M to the series. i mean that would be a great deal. u know i always thought Timothy Dalton or Sean Connery would be great as M for Daniel Craigs bond. especially Dalton. :(

I really don't think former Bonds should be brought back for a different role, too awkward and unessecary.

#39 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:58 PM

I've just had a thought. What if at the end of Quantum of Solace, Yassuf escaped from Bond in Moscow.

Apologies, but I might have to burst your bubble in the first sentence and tell you that he doesn't escape... :(

#40 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:20 AM

Well Fine! Corrine then! :(

#41 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:03 PM

I'd love for the property of a lady to be the title of bond 23 though i doubt the Quantum storyline (the villian orgnization not 007 love of the fallen vesper) will be wrapped up in Bond 23 at least i hope not.