5 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:51 PM

I'm getting my dad a copy of DMC for Father's Day. He was a big Fleming fan back in the day. In fact, he thinks he was reading a Bond book in the waiting room when I was being born (I also think it's possible I was conceived after a screening of FRWL, which explains a lot).

A complete set of the Fleming Centenary reprints is also a great gift idea for a Fleming fan father.

#2 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:23 PM

This isn't going to work for me, unfortunately. I can't even get my dad to watch one of the films let alone read one of the books.

#3 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:19 AM

I'm getting my dad one, too. He had all of the Fleming books, but I don't think he's read any continuation novels. (I don't think he's ever watched a Bond film without a Fleming title, either.)

#4 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

If either of my children gave me DMC for Father's Day KNOWING I was a Fleming fan, I'd disown them. :tup:

#5 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:53 AM

(I also think it's possible I was conceived after a screening of FRWL, which explains a lot).

This during the days of lovers' double seats at the rear of the theatre, just so long as it was 'after'...

#6 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:33 PM

If either of my children gave me DMC for Father's Day KNOWING I was a Fleming fan, I'd disown them. :tup:

Nah -- if he can watch Diamonds are Forever...

I enjoyed it quite a bit, myself. He caught the breezier, more colorful tone of Fleming better than Gardner or Benson (or Amis, though I like his novel overall), and I really enjoyed Bond dealing with the London of the 60's that Fleming missed out on.

I think the "writing as Ian Fleming" on the cover is key. It's not a continuation novel in the sense that he's adding to the character or making Bond his own -- it's a one-off celebration of the subject, and a fun read.