76 replies to this topic

#1 Arbogast777

Arbogast777

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:48 PM

I went to Barnes and Noble hoping they'd think the Wednesday street date was wrong and put it out today, but had no luck.

But I found it at Target!

I was surprised they even carried it, let alone put it out early. The fact that Target carries it (and had it displayed prominently I might add) means that this is really getting a marketing push. It was $17.47.

Let me know if you have any questions. I've got some reading to do!

Posted Image

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

Splendid!

Do enjoy.

#3 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

Congratulations! :tup:

#4 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:51 PM

Nice Arbogast777! :tup:
I'm very curious about the chapter titles, I must say... Fleming had a real sense of titles, I wonder what Faulks came up with.

#5 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:52 PM

Splendid! The US DMC looks amazing in the flesh.

Any chance of putting up the chapter listings? I'm interested in the layout of the story.

#6 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:52 PM

Happy reading, my man! I want a full report on my desk by 7 a.m.
Would you mind giving us a small sample of some chapter headings?

#7 Arbogast777

Arbogast777

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:59 PM

A couple quick observations about the book before I start it...

Posted Image
1. The tagline on the inside cover reads "Bond is back. With a Vengeance."

2. The dedications page reads "To the memory of Ian Fleming and to Fali Vakeel who, when he and I were schoolboys, first introduced me to Bond."

3. The first page of the book is a map of Iraq, Persia (Iran) and the Caspian Sea.

4. There are chapter headings (although no chapter index). The first chapter is called "The Watcher Watched."

5. There is an acknowledgments page that lists, amongst other things, the websites www.autospeed.com and www.se-technology.com/wig

6. The back cover reads "Come in 007," said M. "It's good to see you back."

#8 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:03 PM

Well done. Enjoy!
Can Target get in trouble for selling it early?

#9 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:05 PM

You lucky son of a gun, congrats!!! I'm turning green with envy. :tup: Thanks for the little tidbits. Much obliged!

#10 Arbogast777

Arbogast777

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:12 PM

The chapter titles (damn them for not putting a chapter index in there!):

Posted Image
1. The Watcher Watched
2. A Voice from the Past
3. The Monkey's Hand*
4. Shall We Play?
5. Not Cricket
6. Quite a Girl
7. Trust Me James**
8. Welcome to the Paradise Club
9. The Strawberry Mark
10. A Ship With Wings
11. Good Trouser
12. The Belly of the Beast
13. Small World
14. The End of the World
15. Do You Want Me?
16. Shall We Play (II)
17. Carmen's Song
18. Zlatoust-36
19. A Point of Shame
20. A Wilderness of Mirrors

*This is where the first excerpt came from (with May)

**This chapter begins with a quote

And the first line of the book?

"It was a wet evening in Paris." - no Tomorrow Never dies jokes, please :-)

#11 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:16 PM

The chapter titles (damn them for not putting a chapter index in there!):

Posted Image
1. The Watcher Watched
2. A Voice from the Past
3. The Monkey's Hand*
4. Shall We Play?
5. Not Cricket
6. Quite a Girl
7. Trust Me James**
8. Welcome to the Paradise Club
9. The Strawberry Mark
10. A Ship With Wings
11. Good Trouser
12. The Belly of the Beast
13. Small World
14. The End of the World
15. Do You Want Me?
16. Shall We Play (II)
17. Carmen's Song
18. Zlatoust-36
19. A Point of Shame
20. A Wilderness of Mirrors

*This is where the first excerpt came from (with May)

**This chapter begins with a quote

And the first line of the book?

"It was a wet evening in Paris." - no Tomorrow Never dies jokes, please :-)

Interesting, especially Chapter 18

Posted Image
Zlatoust-36 was a Soviet nuclear weapons facility, making warheads

#12 Arbogast777

Arbogast777

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:21 PM

I should also add that the spot on the shelf for hardcovers could hold 6 books (judging from the other books around it) and there were only 3 copies of DMC left when I picked mine up, and this is at 10am, so it certainly looks to be selling...

#13 whiteskwirl

whiteskwirl

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:49 PM

Well done. Enjoy!
Can Target get in trouble for selling it early?

I used to work in the backroom at Target. Street Date merchandise is always released on Tuesday (in the US anyway), so I'm guessing whoever put the book out didn't pay attention to the date on the box it came in. But yes, the store can get in trouble for that. It's a huge fine for violating the street date. I can't remember how much. But that's assuming anyone finds out.

#14 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:45 PM

I was hoping the cover would be the other one, the black cover with the sillouhette and the red hair. Oh well, enjoy.

#15 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:46 PM

I was hoping the cover would be the other one, the black cover with the sillouhette and the red hair. Oh well, enjoy.

That's be the U.S. edition. Also being used in Canada, I believe.

I think everywhere else uses the "silhouette" artwork (or a variation thereof).

#16 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:48 PM

Huh? The US cover art was revealed in March.

#17 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:16 PM

That's be the U.S. edition. Also being used in Canada, I believe.

I think everywhere else uses the "silhouette" artwork (or a variation thereof).

Not in Italy: it's the US cover artwork on the translated novel. If you wan't to have a look:
http://www.jamesbond...news.asp?ua=649
The Italian title of Devil May Care, by the way, translates as "No time to die", which is IMO very bad.

#18 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:19 PM

I'm a bit confused. Which country is getting which cover? I just saw a picture of Faulks delivering the book and it has the black one, though he's in London.

#19 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:24 PM

I'm a bit confused. Which country is getting which cover? I just saw a picture of Faulks delivering the book and it has the black one, though he's in London.

US/Canada/Italy = Red Cover

UK/Others = Black Cover

#20 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:25 PM

UK/Others = Black Cover

Darn!!! I'm in US.

#21 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:29 PM

UK/Others = Black Cover

Darn!!! I'm in US.

This shouldn't be a surprise since the US cover art was revealed in March.

#22 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:32 PM

As far as I know, there are two main cover artworks:
a) The UK one: black background, with the silhouette of a red-haired woman who looks like a poppy flower
:tup: The US one: as above, red background with James Bond shooting his gun astride the edge

I guess other countries will get a variation on these artworks: as I said, Italy has the US artwork, but France has a variation on the UK cover (almost the same).

#23 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:39 PM

So has anyone else seen it at Target, or is it just a one-off? Might swing by tonight.

The price seems pretty good. Is that the best deal for a brick & mortar store?

#24 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:41 PM

Our main page stories since March, as Righty points out, have been pretty explicit about what is the British edition (black with Poppy girl) and what is the U.S. edition (red with Bond peeking around the corner).

Getting to the party late?

#25 Commander Salamander

Commander Salamander

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:55 PM

I too went to my local Target this morning on the off chance that they might have the book in stock (I've had past experience with Target releasing books ahead of the official release date) and lo and behold there it was! Anyway, if you have a Target store nearby you may want to check 'em out and see if they have it on the shelves.

#26 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:38 PM

I too went to my local Target this morning on the off chance that they might have the book in stock (I've had past experience with Target releasing books ahead of the official release date) and lo and behold there it was! Anyway, if you have a Target store nearby you may want to check 'em out and see if they have it on the shelves.

I'm glad you found the book. Even a bit envious. At the same time, I feel saddened. Why? Independent bookstores, whose numbers have been halved or more in the past twenty years, are quickly nearing extinction. And one of the main reasons has been the buying clout of chains, some of them willing and able to flout official publication dates. A move precious few, if any, indie stores would dare. And yet the indie stores have been a boon to many writers, whose books would have perished without them and their willingness to keep fine lit on the shelves way past the point where the chains returned for credit.

#27 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:52 PM

Guess what? I just got my copy from Target. If you can't wait, it's there.

#28 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:43 PM

darn, I thought about stopping by Target on my way to work today, but thought it was probably a one store mistake. Guess where I will be going on my way home tonight!

#29 Commander Salamander

Commander Salamander

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

"I'm glad you found the book. Even a bit envious. At the same time, I feel saddened. Why? Independent bookstores, whose numbers have been halved or more in the past twenty years, are quickly nearing extinction. And one of the main reasons has been the buying clout of chains, some of them willing and able to flout official publication dates. A move precious few, if any, indie stores would dare. And yet the indie stores have been a boon to many writers, whose books would have perished without them and their willingness to keep fine lit on the shelves way past the point where the chains returned for credit."

Dodge, I totally agree with you and being an avid reader and book collector I can tell you that I always try to support independent booksellers over the chain stores whenever I can. Unfortunately I live in Arkansas where independent book sellers have all but been driven extinct by the chain conglomerates. However, because Target gives to local schools and various environmental causes (plus I just couldn't wait to get my grubby little claws on the book) I opted to bypass B&N) and there was no way in hell I'd by from Wal-Mart I chose to give my cash to Target.

#30 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:02 PM

"I'm glad you found the book. Even a bit envious. At the same time, I feel saddened. Why? Independent bookstores, whose numbers have been halved or more in the past twenty years, are quickly nearing extinction. And one of the main reasons has been the buying clout of chains, some of them willing and able to flout official publication dates. A move precious few, if any, indie stores would dare. And yet the indie stores have been a boon to many writers, whose books would have perished without them and their willingness to keep fine lit on the shelves way past the point where the chains returned for credit."

Dodge, I totally agree with you and being an avid reader and book collector I can tell you that I always try to support independent booksellers over the chain stores whenever I can. Unfortunately I live in Arkansas where independent book sellers have all but been driven extinct by the chain conglomerates. However, because Target gives to local schools and various environmental causes (plus I just couldn't wait to get my grubby little claws on the book) I opted to bypass B&N) and there was no way in hell I'd by from Wal-Mart I chose to give my cash to Target.

All our independent booksellers were run out town as well. Unfortunately for me as well, there seems to be issues with a Target coming to our town. People want it, yet we never get one.

Back to Sebastian Faulks (2008)