#1 craigbegins

craigbegins

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:17 PM

http://www.latinorev...gs-to-bond-4700

I hope this isn't true, but Latino Review are often on the money with this sort of thing, I believe they were the first ones to announce that Heath Ledger would be playing The Joker in The Dark Knight.

:tup:

#2 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:25 PM

Safer choice, but big enough I suppose.

I'd prefer Winehouse but I'd live with Beyonce.

#3 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:31 PM

If this is true, it's great!

A act guaranteed to get global attention on Quantum of Solace and hopefully get American and global airplay and sales.

And a name that adds kudos to the Bond brand.

I hope she and her team work with David Arnold so the song is integrated in the score.

Her song, "A Woman Like Me", for the Steve Martin Pink Panther film was very Bond-like.

I love Amy Winehouse's work too but I think she's too over-exposed for the wrong reasons.

Let's keep one's fingers crossed for a great song first, that happens to be a Bond theme rather than a James Bond Burly Chassis Theme SongTM.

#4 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:34 PM

Not a bad choice if true. I'd rather Beyonce over Winehouse.

#5 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:41 PM

Not someone I would have thought of for the gig, but she certainly has the vocal chops to pull it off (although much of her work doesn't really use her voice to any significant degree). Also incredibly attractive with a reasonably clean image to boot...

If it's true, I won't be too bothered either way (does seem a bit 'safe' though)...

#6 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:54 PM

This originated in "The London Paper" last Wednesday. This is what I posted yesterday in the Winehouse thread.

[quote name='Shrublands' post='872829' date='22 May 2008 - 14:16']Yesterdays The London Paper had this odd story, seems very unlikely to me mainly because of the bit about John Barry. Anyway here you go

#7 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:09 PM

Well she can sing and she's popular, so will appeal to "the kids". I agree that she's a bit safe and uninspiring though.....unless the song contains a Jay Z rap of course..... :tup:

#8 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:12 PM

Fine enough songstress, but I don

#9 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:19 PM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' post='873175' date='23 May 2008 - 14:12']Fine enough songstress, but I don

#10 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:29 PM

[quote name='pgram' post='873180' date='23 May 2008 - 14:19'][quote name='Mister Asterix' post='873175' date='23 May 2008 - 14:12']Fine enough songstress, but I don

#11 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:32 PM

Safer choice, but big enough I suppose.

I'd prefer Winehouse but I'd live with Beyonce.

I suppose I agree. Although Winehouse has the edginess more suited to Craig. Beyonce is a bit bland and safe was possibly more suited to a Brosnan film.

#12 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:33 PM

I dont have a problem with Beyonce but I'd rather have an unknown actress do the theme.

#13 Doctor No

Doctor No

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:36 PM

No thanks. Especially because she was in and sang a song for Austin Powers 3. We don't want to copy the AP movies do we?

#14 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:39 PM

Let's keep one's fingers crossed for a great song first, that happens to be a Bond theme rather than a James Bond Burly Chassis Theme SongTM.
[/quote]

I agree with this. If the series has had a re-boot, then doing something a bit different to the normal cod-Bassey type stuff that a lot of people seem to consider a "Bond Theme" would be good. Chris Cornell's theme shook things up a bit and it would be good to see this trend continuing. Hell, even the Madonna track was at least an attempt to do something out of the ordinary. Much as I liked it and the singer, I could never figure out why, after a 7 year gap and with a number of bold changes to the formula (Female M, Eric Serra etc), Goldeneye ended up with such a "by-numbers" theme song.

#15 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:40 PM

[quote name='pgram' post='873180' date='23 May 2008 - 13:19'][quote name='Mister Asterix' post='873175' date='23 May 2008 - 14:12']Fine enough songstress, but I don

#16 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:54 PM

…The pair will collaborating with legendary Bond composer John Barry…

well, i wasn't very enthousiast hearing Beyonce was being considered, but i'm glad reading that they will work with the legendary john barry! why ? because it proves this news is a joke.

next !

I don't want beyonce, because it feels like another reharsh from the Austin powers movie... Madonna then, now Beyonce, please no !

Also we need another strong male voice, or a strong female voice at least. I want something raw. :-)

#17 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:57 PM

Great, now all we need is Timbaland to produce and JT to guest.

Oh, and I'm being sarcastic.

I hate Gen Y.

#18 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:01 PM

I'm still saying the best choices are Instrumental by David Arnold or a rock band.

#19 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:25 PM

...but I'd rather have an unknown actress do the theme.

Or perhaps a singer.

#20 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:00 PM

...but I'd rather have an unknown actress do the theme.

Or perhaps a singer.

I was going to let that one go. :tup:

Never saw any of the "Austin Powers" stuff, so I didn't make the connection with Beyonce. I take it she had a role in one of them? (Off to IMDb for me.)

Agree with those who call it an uninspired choice, though sometimes these people pleasantly surprise me.

#21 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:24 PM

I dont have a problem with Beyonce but I'd rather have an unknown actress do the theme.

Me too. Beyonce is famous and Bond producers have prooved that they prefer unknown actors and singers for their films.

#22 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:07 PM

Me too. Beyonce is famous and Bond producers have prooved that they prefer unknown actors and singers for their films.

They do? Madonna was unknown? Chris Cornell? Tina Turner? Sheryl Crow?

#23 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:16 PM

Madonnas, Die Another Day was horrible. Cornell and Crow were relitevaly unknown at the time, I never heard of Cornell before he was announced. And as for Turner, well.... she was a rarity.

#24 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:20 PM

Madonnas, Die Another Day was horrible. Cornell and Crow were relitevaly unknown at the time, I never heard of Cornell before he was announced. And as for Turner, well.... she was a rarity.

Sheryl Crow had been pretty massive in the early 90's I'm afraid, TND was a example of when her career was on a slide, Cornell was more famous for being in Soundgarden in the grunge era and at the time thay were massive, as well as Audioslave in the noughties who had huge success in the states.

Not household names although their was time when Crowe was pretty huge she certainly didn't become famous off the back of TND.

#25 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:29 PM

Munro, Bassey, Jones, Sinatra, McCartney, Simon, Easton, Coolidge, Duran Duran, A-Ha, Knight, Turner, Crow, Manson, Madonna, and Cornell might all disagree with you MHarkin. Just saying.

Edited by blueman, 23 May 2008 - 07:29 PM.

#26 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:30 PM

Cornell and Crow were relitevaly unknown at the time, I never heard of Cornell before he was announced. And as for Turner, well.... she was a rarity.

Sheryl Crow was a relative unknown? Relative to who? Jesus Christ perhaps? Crow was gigantic at the time. Near the top of her popularity They pretty much went with her theme because she was so much bigger than k d lang.

#27 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:34 PM

Munro, Bassey, Jones, Sinatra, McCartney, Simon, Easton, Coolidge, Duran Duran, A-Ha, Knight, Turner, Crow, Manson, Madonna, and Cornell might all disagree with you MHarkin. Just saying.

Damn. I've backed myself into a corner I can't get out of. :tup: But I just think that after the horrible Die Another Day, I think that it just proved that fame isn't everything. Beyonce isn't my cup of tea, I'm afraid.

#28 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:00 PM

Cornell and Crow were relitevaly unknown at the time, I never heard of Cornell before he was announced. And as for Turner, well.... she was a rarity.

Sheryl Crow was a relative unknown? Relative to who? Jesus Christ perhaps? Crow was gigantic at the time. Near the top of her popularity They pretty much went with her theme because she was so much bigger than k d lang.

Yep, in the U.S. She was far from gigantic in Europe.

#29 _Ozu_

_Ozu_

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:10 PM

[quote]

#30 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:36 PM

Bigger in the States perhaps. She had that big one 'All I Wanna Do' or whatever it was called which was three years previous to TND: I don't remember her bothering the charts much after that over here. Nothing against her, it's just that they've got a bit of a history of getting artists just as they disappear into obscurity. When were Garbage big? They disappeared a couple of years previous to '99 as I remember. Chris Cornell was big(ish) in the 90's... Madonna was a decent choice, but in the others they seem to be hoping to recreate their success in getting Duran Duran back together with AVTAK: why not get someone who's actually big now? Like all the other talent in the movie?