mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

Just to say that I concur with every view expressed by Skudor here :tup:

Ditto.

I'm still waiting for the "I pretend my iPod is Bond's phone so I can act like I'm driving my car with it" thread. And that sad this is, there are probably one or two peole who just read that who have actually thought that.

#33 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:46 PM

Thank you all for a very good, respectful, and wide-ranging Thread here. I noticed and clicked on this around the time it first came up, then a few times after as I was amazed to see it go on and on and on. What's emerged for me is a better understanding of this community, and some of the passions within it.

Again, I'm glad this has played out (and continues to do so).

#34 neversaynever

neversaynever

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:20 PM

Well I concur with every view expressed by Doublenoughtspy.

Perhaps a solution is to split the forums into two sections: Actual Bond News, and Other Random Cr@p. Then the mods could develop an "Other Random Cr@p-free" skin, which would work in much the same way as the current "spoiler-free" skin? That way when I want to check today's posts the only posts I would see would actually be Bond-related.

I would sign up for that in a flash - and I'm sure I am not the only one. Sadly, I think that would be a bit more difficult to engineer than the spoiler-free version...

#35 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:50 PM

I'm very sorry for dredging up those old threads. Please can I be forgiven and please let's forget about it. I hope I've also started and added to some interesting threads on here too.

I really never meant to annoy anyone.

#36 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:42 AM

Well I concur with every view expressed by Doublenoughtspy.

Perhaps a solution is to split the forums into two sections: Actual Bond News, and Other Random Cr@p. Then the mods could develop an "Other Random Cr@p-free" skin, which would work in much the same way as the current "spoiler-free" skin? That way when I want to check today's posts the only posts I would see would actually be Bond-related.

I would sign up for that in a flash - and I'm sure I am not the only one. Sadly, I think that would be a bit more difficult to engineer than the spoiler-free version...

I love you.

#37 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:39 PM

Maybe our newbies missed out on some good threads and enjoy seeing a few pop up every now and then. Just please kill those "what are you blaming/giving credit Dan Craig" threads. ugh.

Oh God yes, I second this. Those threads are just as bad as the This or That "cabbage" one that was recently killed. They aren't discussing anything about Bond, or Daniel Craig, and they're aaaaalways on the front page. Have any of the mods looked at these threads lately?

A sampling of recent posts in the "What are you blaming Daniel Craig for today?" thread :

"Bugs"
"My cold"
"The increase in mouse deaths."
"Wood"
"Tomatoes"

And in the "What are you giving Daniel Craig credit for today?" thread :

"Nothing"

Yes, that is an actual post made by a CBN member, copied and pasted in its entirety. I rest my case, its in the hands of the Gods (mods) now :tup:

#38 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:52 PM

I love you.

I know. :tup:

#39 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:28 AM

Maybe our newbies missed out on some good threads and enjoy seeing a few pop up every now and then. Just please kill those "what are you blaming/giving credit Dan Craig" threads. ugh.

Oh God yes, I second this. Those threads are just as bad as the This or That "cabbage" one that was recently killed. They aren't discussing anything about Bond, or Daniel Craig, and they're aaaaalways on the front page. Have any of the mods looked at these threads lately?

A sampling of recent posts in the "What are you blaming Daniel Craig for today?" thread :

"Bugs"
"My cold"
"Wood"
"Tomatoes"

"Nothing"

Yes, that is an actual post made by a CBN member, copied and pasted in its entirety. I rest my case, its in the hands of the Gods (mods) now :tup:

Yes, the thread about blaming Daniel Craig for things must have originally started as a joke and payback for all the critics of Craig before he'd even appeared in a Bond movie. It should be closed down.

But I must say that mouse deaths have increased since October 2005.

#40 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:46 AM

"Bugs"
"My cold"
"Wood"
"Tomatoes"

"Nothing"

Yes, the thread about blaming Daniel Craig for things must have originally started as a joke and payback for all the critics of Craig before he'd even appeared in a Bond movie. It should be closed down.

Why do you contribute to it then?

#41 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:48 AM

"Bugs"
"My cold"
"Wood"
"Tomatoes"

"Nothing"

Why do you contribute to it then?

That was before I realised how much you hated it.

#42 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:55 AM

Who the hell has revived this thread?. Jesus. :tup: :tup:

I agree. But it's only fair that I'm allowed to revive my 'Christmas Carol's' thread once a year. :(

Why we're at it. May I also mention that a lot of people are "abusing the auto-sensor". Or more realistically speaking are taxing the 'bad word filter'. I have noticed a lot of the team members doing this by adding a "ing" after "censored". Is this really advisable particularly as it gives members the right to do the same.

I'm not 'calling the kettle black' (and you can look through years of my posts for a cuss word). But I think it should stop.

Cheers,

Ian

#43 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:12 AM

I hate to say it, but I rather miss This or That; it was something completely different. :tup:

#44 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:14 AM

I hate to say it, but I rather miss This or That; it was something completely different. :(

Couldn't you spend more time on your cell phone?. :tup: :tup:

#45 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:15 AM

I hate to say it, but I rather miss This or That; it was something completely different. :)

Couldn't you spend more time on your cell phone?. :tup: :tup:

I don't have one. :(

#46 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:19 AM

I hate to say it, but I rather miss This or That; it was something completely different. :D

Couldn't you spend more time on your cell phone?. :tup: :(

I don't have one. :)

You're a eunuch?. :tup:

#47 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:22 AM

I hate to say it, but I rather miss This or That; it was something completely different. :)

Couldn't you spend more time on your cell phone?. :tup: :)

I don't have one. :D

You're a eunuch?. :tup:

You're Johnny Depp? :(

:D

#48 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:29 AM

Maybe. But even if you and I were stars of Hollywood we're going off topic. :tup:

Maybe we should "call it a wrap". :tup:

#49 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:30 AM

Maybe we should "call it a wrap". :tup:

Is there an Easter Songs Thread you'd like to create? :tup:

#50 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:10 AM

"Bugs"
"My cold"
"Wood"
"Tomatoes"

"Nothing"

OK - ignoring the last six posts, which rather expose the problem, does anyone want to spring to the defence of these threads? Let's make cutting away society's dead flesh the act of a benevolent democracy.

...wanders into the quote game threads, is appalled at the waste of life going on there, wanders out again, thinking...

#51 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:59 AM

And can we maybe ditch such creative debating as "how old were you when you first read a John Gardner novel" and "what shade of red should the blood be in the next gunbarrel sequence?"....!!!!

That tends to sink things into the really analrak territory.

#52 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:15 AM

And can we maybe ditch such creative debating as "how old were you when you first read a John Gardner novel" and "what shade of red should the blood be in the next gunbarrel sequence?"....!!!!

Well, quite.

In the centenary year, with a new Bond novel, a Young Bond novel, a Moneypenny Diary and a new film on the way and a fifty-five year legacy to look back on and discuss and rip the poo out of, today I have been mostly listening to U2 and I am eating an apple. Be fascinated by this.

#53 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:22 AM

Well, quite.

In the centenary year, with a new Bond novel, a Young Bond novel, a Moneypenny Diary and a new film on the way and a fifty-five year legacy to look back on and discuss and rip the poo out of, today I have been mostly listening to U2 and I am eating an apple. Be fascinated by this.

I am. Well I was until I thought I must start a new thread...."what Bond film did you think of when eating your cereal this morning....?".

I'm also wondering just how many times I can keep reviving this thread...?!

#54 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:27 PM

Before reviving an old thread, please ask yourself one question:

Is this thread still relevant?

If your name is DaveBond21, please ask yourself this question:

If this thread is no longer relevant, why the heck am I about to revive it?

If it's not still relevant, please don't revive it. It not only looks silly but sometimes reviving an old thread starts old arguments and/or brings up silly old opinions about an unreleased film.

Thanks!

Er...excuse me Mister, but some of us here aint been on this forum for as long as you have and though the revival of an old thread may not be relevant (what is relevant?) it might be that some of us want to chip in to something discussed Eons ago - pardon the pun.

I concede it might be annoying to you old hands that have maybe seen threads resumed or repeated over and over or even in perpetuity, but it is plausible that new members might want to add their tuppence worth to old threads not spotted before or that had perhaps run its course decades ago.

In short, have a little patience with us newish members. I looked up a friend's old post the other day and came accross a thread that ran its course in 2006, it was only through time and work pressure that stopped me from chipping in and I can assure you my comment was the usual unworthwhile drivel that I am particularly partial to but have every right to utter - no?

Might I suggest that if the VIP's from Commanders Lounge are losing patience with the minnions habit of repetition or the dragging out of old threads that you either 1) close them after a period of non action after; and/or 2) monitor all new threads so the resurrection of the old 'uns is pre-empted.

Que sera.

Again, reviving old threads is okay as long as it's done with common sense. Don't open ten in a row with just typing "Bump." We're just asking that people use good judgement.

#55 neversaynever

neversaynever

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:02 PM

OK - ignoring the last six posts, which rather expose the problem, does anyone want to spring to the defence of these threads? Let's make cutting away society's dead flesh the act of a benevolent democracy.

...wanders into the quote game threads, is appalled at the waste of life going on there, wanders out again, thinking...

I suggest renaming "The Great James Bond Quote Conversation" thread as "The Sad and Pathetic James Bond Quote Conversation That Stopped Being Either Funny Or A Game (To The Extent It Ever Was) At About Page 3 And Is Now Just A Quick And Easy Means To Up One's Post Count By Typing Out Lines Of Dialogue".

Seriously, though, to revisit my earlier suggestion about an "Other Random Cr@p-free" skin, perhaps there is something that could be done at least in respect of Forum "Games". I for one have no interest in them. I have never posted in one. I find them most of them tedious and boring, and mind-boggling. I honestly wonder about why people feel the need to type lines of dialogue into a thread for no apparent reason. What I especially don't understand is those "Forum games" that aren't at all Bond-related. Why are they here? Anyone?! Perhaps a "Games-free" skin could be created? Or at least, a sub-forum in the Games area for "non-Bond" games, then a "Games-that-have-nothing-to-do-with-Bond-free" skin created, so that those who have no interest in learning whether Number 6 prefers Bread or Milk don't have to see new posts in those types of threads on the main page. (A brief glimpse of the last page of the This or That thread will tell you the answer is Bread. Who knew?!! Or cared?!!)

#56 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:43 PM

I suggest renaming "The Great James Bond Quote Conversation" thread as "The Sad and Pathetic James Bond Quote Conversation That Stopped Being Either Funny Or A Game (To The Extent It Ever Was) At About Page 3 And Is Now Just A Quick And Easy Means To Up One's Post Count By Typing Out Lines Of Dialogue".

Seriously, though, to revisit my earlier suggestion about an "Other Random Cr@p-free" skin, perhaps there is something that could be done at least in respect of Forum "Games". I for one have no interest in them. I have never posted in one. I find them most of them tedious and boring, and mind-boggling. I honestly wonder about why people feel the need to type lines of dialogue into a thread for no apparent reason. What I especially don't understand is those "Forum games" that aren't at all Bond-related. Why are they here? Anyone?! Perhaps a "Games-free" skin could be created? Or at least, a sub-forum in the Games area for "non-Bond" games, then a "Games-that-have-nothing-to-do-with-Bond-free" skin created, so that those who have no interest in learning whether Number 6 prefers Bread or Milk don't have to see new posts in those types of threads on the main page. (A brief glimpse of the last page of the This or That thread will tell you the answer is Bread. Who knew?!! Or cared?!!)

Marry me.

#57 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:19 PM

I can't believe this thread is happening.

#58 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:46 PM

I don't think anyone would deny there's a fair amount of crap on here, but for those getting pompous about non-Bond content I think there's a simple solution - if you don't like it, don't read it! I don't join in any of the quote conversation threads, for example, but I know that they and others do foster a spirit of community and friendship on the forum. I reckon that's a good thing, particularly given that the fur flies on here at times over ultimately trivial Bond matters - I have no problem with being passionate about the subject but it happens that people hurl inappropriate insults at people they don't even know, although that's mostly just when LadyS is around, and I don't think that's ideal either (I don't claim to be whiter than white here btw, just sayin'). I'm not sure why there's a need to close threads for those who don't like them when there are plenty of others who do. Surely a little self-censorship is all that's needed - no-one is forcing you to declare you like bread better than milk. Don't join in if you don't want to, but what's the harm in leaving others to their idea of fun?

#59 neversaynever

neversaynever

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:39 PM

I didn't ask for those threads to be closed. As you say, there are people here who like talking about all sorts of non-Bond stuff - OK. The things is, as Doublenoughtspy said on the previous page, when the most active posts are in the Great James Bond Quote Conversation or This or That, then it pushes all the content that is actually interesting off the front page when you click "Today's Posts". The suggestion I made above is related to fixing that problem for those who come to CBn just for Bond related-news and discussion.

Well my comment about the Great James Bond Quote Conversation actually had nothing to do with that - it was just a general dig at those who get their kicks posting in there, because I really don't understand it!! :tup:

#60 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:51 PM

I don't think anyone would deny there's a fair amount of crap on here, but for those getting pompous about non-Bond content I think there's a simple solution - if you don't like it, don't read it! I don't join in any of the quote conversation threads, for example, but I know that they and others do foster a spirit of community and friendship on the forum. I reckon that's a good thing, particularly given that the fur flies on here at times over ultimately trivial Bond matters - I have no problem with being passionate about the subject but it happens that people hurl inappropriate insults at people they don't even know, although that's mostly just when LadyS is around, and I don't think that's ideal either (I don't claim to be whiter than white here btw, just sayin'). I'm not sure why there's a need to close threads for those who don't like them when there are plenty of others who do. Surely a little self-censorship is all that's needed - no-one is forcing you to declare you like bread better than milk. Don't join in if you don't want to, but what's the harm in leaving others to their idea of fun?

Exactly. I'm somewhat certain that roughly 82.4% of my posts in recent months have concerned the new Rambo film, and not QUANTUM OF SADNESS or whatever you lot are into. Most of the remainder of my posts also probably touch on Sylvester Stallone (fnarr) in one way or another.

Still, no one has ever complained (this is actually quite incredible to me, but most welcome - thanks for your tolerance, everyone :tup: ), just as I don't mind (nice of me not to mind, you'll agree, given all the cash and hard work I don't contribute to the upkeep of this site) if others want to ponder how old they would have been when they first read the back cover blurb of the old Warner Home Video rental VHS tape of NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN, or wish to enquire into what, precisely, is being listened to right now by people they've never met. It's all good.