5 replies to this topic

#1 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:19 AM

I'm reading the New Tom Clancy book EndWar, based on the upcomming game. It is written by David Michaels, which I know is the name Benson used to write his to Splinter Cell novels. The reason I think that Benson wrote Endwar is because in the acknowledgments page, Michaels thanks a Mr. Tom Colgan. Now, in both DoubleShot, and The Man with the Red Tattoo, Benson also thanks Mr. Colgan. Does anyone know if Benson wrote EndWar as well, or is it just a coincidence?

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:24 AM

Interesting. My assumption is that this isn't Benson because I would think we would have heard about it on his official website (since it's basically no secret to fans and readers that this 'David Michaels' is a pseudonym).

And since he didn't return for the third or fourth Splinter Cell novels, I'm wondering if this EndWar is written by that newer author (whoever it may be).

Still, that acknowledgments page you mention...

#3 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:50 AM

I'm reading the New Tom Clancy book EndWar, based on the upcomming game. It is written by David Michaels, which I know is the name Benson used to write his to Splinter Cell novels. The reason I think that Benson wrote Endwar is because in the acknowledgments page, Michaels thanks a Mr. Tom Colgan. Now, in both DoubleShot, and The Man with the Red Tattoo, Benson also thanks Mr. Colgan. Does anyone know if Benson wrote EndWar as well, or is it just a coincidence?

Ooh, now this is a question I'd like to know the answer to. Damn that pseudonym. I was planning on picking up the novelization of Tom Clancy's EndWar based strictly on its premise, but if Raymond Benson is in fact the author then I may just skip it. Benson's Bond novels are amusing diversions but I am not a great fan of his prose.

So, as we're unsure of its author, perhaps I should be asking... How is the book? What do you think of it?

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:02 AM

Benson only wrote the first two Splinter Cell books. There is a new "David Michaels" writing the books now.

#5 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:52 PM

No doubt it's been mentioned here somewhere, but Raymond Benson does have a new thriller coming out - he has written a METAL GEAR SOLID novel: http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0345503287

#6 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 02:29 PM

Looks like he is an editor:

Tom Colgan

Tom Colgan is Executive Editor at The Putnam Berkley Group of Penguin Putnam, Inc. He is a native New Yorker who has worked in the publishing business for seventeen years. He started at Berkley books in 1985 and has worked there ever since except for a five year sojourn at Avon/Morrow. He has worked with authors such as Tom Clancy, W.E.B. Griffin, Jack Higgins, and Ed McBain. Tom has edited a new book coming on this spring called Last Man Down, about one of the last firemen out of the WTC after the 911 attack. Tom acquires mystery/ thriller/ suspense, so-called "boy books," i.e., Clancy, and nonfiction. He is interested in everything other than romances, science fiction, children's books, screenplays and poetry.