56 replies to this topic

#31 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:59 PM

Agreed, that track is probably too moody and downbeat, and yet..

...And yet, even though we haven

#32 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:02 PM

Let's see if Ms. Winehouse is able to show at the Emmys, with her act together. Has she made a fine mess of her life? Hey, no doubt. And no excuses. But so have many other artists, who've hung tight through trash stretches and somehow pulled through. If she does pull through, that will show enough class in my own book to qualify her for a crack at the title song. And no one who hasn't been addicted should really be judging the lady, IMO.

#33 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:06 PM

Let's see if Ms. Winehouse is able to show at the Emmys, with her act together. Has she made a fine mess of her life? Hey, no doubt. And no excuses. But so have many other artists, who've hung tight through trash stretches and somehow pulled through. If she does pull through, that will show enough class in my own book to qualify her for a crack at the title song. And no one who hasn't been addicted should really be judging the lady, IMO.

Very reasonable point of view. Couldn't agree more.

#34 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:35 PM

Is this freak a Sony performer?

And has it not been made appearent that they're deliberately trying to marry the voice to the rugged, emotive air of Craig...hence Chris Cornell? Chad Kroger of Nickleback fits that mould.

There's NO way they're going for a female singer in the early part of the Craig era...especially one that flies in the face of the classy image cultivated by Eon and James Bond.

All speculation is moot unless the girl is signed to Sony.

#35 kneelbeforezod

kneelbeforezod

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:35 PM

Very reasonable point of view. Couldn't agree more.

Yeah I second that. Although wasn't she refused entry to the U.S. recently?

#36 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:39 PM

Oh, be nice. Addiction is an illness.

#37 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

Ok. Is the ill girl a Sony girl?

#38 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:53 PM

Ok. Is the ill girl a Sony girl?

No. And nether was Chris Cornell (a Sony Boy)

#39 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:55 PM

"It

#40 kneelbeforezod

kneelbeforezod

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:00 PM

There's NO way they're going for a female singer in the early part of the Craig era...especially one that flies in the face of the classy image cultivated by Eon and James Bond.

I think we are all aware its moot. Just saying she would be really good. But clearly it's not the direction they're going in.

#41 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:07 PM

Well, as Chris Cornell is not signed to Sony (hence his track not appearing on the Sony released soundtrack album) her not being signed to Sony is besides the point.

#42 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:12 PM

[quote name='Mharkin007' post='835156' date='8 February 2008 - 15:55']"It

#43 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:13 PM

Well, as Chris Cornell is not signed to Sony (hence his track not appearing on the Sony released soundtrack album) her not being signed to Sony is besides the point.

Not really...look at what happened with CR...no title song on the soundtrack...don't want that again.

#44 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:20 PM

Not really...look at what happened with CR...no title song on the soundtrack...don't want that again.

If they put up with it once, they will put up with it again.

#45 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:32 PM

It makes me laugh that there is a concern as to whether Amy Winehouse's image and reputation is appropriate to be associated with a Bond film- given that Bond himself drinks way too much, screws his way around the world and will kill Lord knows how many people during the course of the film!

And if you look at past performers of the Bond themes, Paul McCartney and Duran Duran haven't been exactly squeaky clean when it comes to illegal substances....

I personally think Amy W's voice would be amazing over some Bond credits...and it would be fun to see her and her tattoos at the Royal premiere!

#46 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:14 PM

According to news Ms Winehouse won't be granted access to the USoA as the US-embassy denies her a visa due to the detection of 'substances' in her bloodstream. So, no live Winehouse act at '08 Grammy's. :tup:

Well, it seems talking about Ms Winehouse automatically means talking about drug problems. I'd just like to remind some people that reducing any kind of artist, anyone at all, to a drug problem is certainly not the way to solve the problem. While I myself in no way advocate drug use or abuse, there is no denying that a major part of popular culture since about the 1870's and onwards to the present day just wouldn't exist had its creators faced the same rigorous efforts to their work Ms Winehouse has to face now.

It's been pointed out in several different ways and posts already, but I'll gladly repeat it once more: there is hardly an artist that isn't guilty of 'misbehaving' in some way or other that present belief and consent doesn't disagree with. Be that the Rolling Stones or Oasis, Kirsten Dunst or Sylvester Stallone or fill-in-the-gap-yourself. Picasso, Hemmingway, Matisse, Renoir, you name them. But every single one of them deserves that his or her work be judged apart from his or her personal problems. And it seems strange to me that a society of the 21st century should adopt the standards of the 16th to try in vain to cope with its problems.

Edited by Trident, 08 February 2008 - 06:22 PM.

#47 NATO Sub

NATO Sub

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:46 PM

According to news Ms Winehouse won't be granted access to the USoA as the US-embassy denies her a visa due to the detection of 'substances' in her bloodstream. So, no live Winehouse act at '08 Grammy's. :tup:

Well, it seems talking about Ms Winehouse automatically means talking about drug problems. I'd just like to remind some people that reducing any kind of artist, anyone at all, to a drug problem is certainly not the way to solve the problem. While I myself in no way advocate drug use or abuse, there is no denying that a major part of popular culture since about the 1870's and onwards to the present day just wouldn't exist had its creators faced the same rigorous efforts to their work Ms Winehouse has to face now.

It's been pointed out in several different ways and posts already, but I'll gladly repeat it once more: there is hardly an artist that isn't guilty of 'misbehaving' in some way or other that present belief and consent doesn't disagree with. Be that the Rolling Stones or Oasis, Kirsten Dunst or Sylvester Stallone or fill-in-the-gap-yourself. Picasso, Hemmingway, Matisse, Renoir, you name them. But every single one of them deserves that his or her work be judged apart from his or her personal problems. And it seems strange to me that a society of the 21st century should adopt the standards of the 16th to try in vain to cope with its problems.

Excellent post! I would prefer Goldfrapp myself, but I think Amy Winehouse would deliver a good title track.

#48 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:22 PM

And it seems strange to me that a society of the 21st century should adopt the standards of the 16th to try in vain to cope with its problems.

Here, here. But unfortunately many in todays society have been dum down, to the point they must be lead to a position. How sad.

#49 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:44 AM

[quote name='Vauxhall' post='835166' date='8 February 2008 - 11:12'][quote name='Mharkin007' post='835156' date='8 February 2008 - 15:55']"It

#50 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:38 AM

I still think it's a bit early in the game to announce a singer. The Madonna thing was a rare exception, besides she had a cameo in the film. And it wasn't like Grace Jones or Goldie were picked to sing because they had roles.

As for Arnold starting early, well, maybe it will work to his benefit and ours since most of his soundtracks sound alike to me.

People throwing around names for singers goes with the territory. It seems to start right after a film is released. It's not like with there are any other franchises out there for the press to speculate singing a title song for, so they throw the names around for Bond all the time.

#51 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:58 AM

Now on the CBn main page...

'Why is everybody ramming [the name] Amy Winehouse out...?'

#52 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:42 AM

As quoted above, at least Oasis smells of champagne supernova coke class, just look at the lady look for chrissakes, it's a nightmare !

Who cares?!? She's a singer, not a model!
Listen to the lady's voice, for Christ's sake! :tup:

#53 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:51 AM

Her voices stinks as well as her breath. When I look at her or hear her, it's like when you open you wine cave to find out someone smashed all the bottles of fine vintage and they turned sour.
It's as bad as Garbage doing the song for WINE. Ugly, overhyper, drugged up broad on a bent for her career, next she will goes around saying she always loved 007, blahblablah, I hope Craig stays firm and she is kept away from this film, or any film for that matter.

#54 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:16 PM

I don't care for her voice all that much and think she has been significantly over-hyped. Hope she doesn't get the job.

#55 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

It makes me laugh that there is a concern as to whether Amy Winehouse's image and reputation is appropriate to be associated with a Bond film- given that Bond himself drinks way too much, screws his way around the world and will kill Lord knows how many people during the course of the film!

And if you look at past performers of the Bond themes, Paul McCartney and Duran Duran haven't been exactly squeaky clean when it comes to illegal substances....

I personally think Amy W's voice would be amazing over some Bond credits...and it would be fun to see her and her tattoos at the Royal premiere!

Well said. If we really need a squeaky clean performer to do the job, Marie Osmond might do the job...or maybe one of the Christian rockers on Fish radio?

#56 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:41 PM

It seems Ms. Winehouse is very over-hyped. She is getting more well known for her personal issues than her talent. If someone wants to dangle a "fantastic carrot" to get her to kick drugs, how about: clean-up & you'll stand a much better chance of living past the age of 30.

#57 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:19 AM

Two for two. You go, Amy. :tup: