8 replies to this topic

#1 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:04 AM

Think about it they want to sort of replicate Connery, they're molding his 2nd, QOS to be like a quasi-FRWL type especially compared to the 1st one, more realistic, more geography covered, Russian babe, etc. Colonel Sun would be able to recapture the Goldfinger 3rd movie magic with a guns-a-blazin eye-popping approach, Chinese agents (but made as agent of shadowy organization). It's a title they will definitely not stop to grab for sure, and a book they will most certainly adapt to whatever extent now that the series is back to "classy" mode. Whattya think?
I bet after Risico, The Hildebrand Rarity, The Property of a Lady, this one seems mighty ripe for EON, and would throw people off again seeing as how everyone now thinks theyll use up the rest of the short story titles but this one being the first post-Fleming Bond ...

#2 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:06 AM

Well it's got two 'O's in it, but they're on the same line so you can't do the diagonal-007 thing... :tup:

Not sure really- they seem determined to stick to Fleming, and Colonel Sun is just about M getting kidnapped, which we had in TWINE.

#3 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:34 AM

It's a title they haven't used... but we had a Colonel Moon in Die Another Day and M kidnapped in The World is not Enough so that doesn't really leave much except Greece, which isn't really as exotic a destination anymore. Not sure what else they could use from the book - which would be a first considering it's not an original Fleming novel.

#4 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:54 AM

Not sure what else they could use from the book - which would be a first considering it's not an original Fleming novel.

Indeed.

You couldn't really even use Bond as the Angel of Vengence (even allowing for it not being used up in QoS); his relationship with Dench/M is far less, if at all, devoted than with Messery/M of the books, having had only two movies, as opposed to 16 volumes, to develop.

And again, Bond's feeling that he is going soft and feeling wearily contented - expressed to Tanner during the golf match - wouldn't fit with a 'veteran' of only 2 movies.

Fight at Quarterdeck might work, if Dench/M has moved there...

And the Grand Bretagne/Acropolis stuff might work - if Bond could fight his way through the tourists while still looking cool...

#5 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:57 AM

Ah, the Grande Bretagne... I just drove past that the other day and just knew that there was some reason why I should 'care'. It's a cool looking hotel, but I don't think I'd want to stay there with all the traffic outside.

#6 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:57 AM

Why not Devil May Care, then? :tup:

#7 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:33 PM

Why not Devil May Care, then? :tup:

I think that's far likelier... although as it's meant to be retro (set in the 60s if I remember correctly) it would have to be 'adapted' accordingly. Still, with all the usual caveats (such as not having read it yet... for obvious reasons), I think DMC is a much likelier adaptation.

#8 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:11 PM

That's a good point: COLONEL SUN. I wouldn't mind Bond 23 being called that.

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:52 PM

Nice title, but as pointed out above, not sure what major bits of the novel would lend itself to a screenplay.