Maybe it's pepper... :tup:

#62 sark

sark

Lieutenant

• Enlisting
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:45 AM

I think ... since Bolivia has almost every natural resource under the sun (salt, tin, magnesium, iron etc) it really could be anything.

Those clever bastards! They've picked Bolivia so we can't narrow down the possible natural resource!

Funnily enough, they are not even filming in Bolivia. Panama, Peru and northern Chile is where they'll be shooting and one or two or all three of these locations will be standing in for "Bolivia".

It's even funnier to me because a close friend of mine is Bolivian.
A possible reason they aren't filming is Moralas, the new hard-left leader. I don't know how friendly he would be to a capitalist venture like Bond.

#63 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:45 AM

I have a friend who is doing a project actually on Natural Resource which is great,so i asked him what he thought the back ground looked like on the official website and he said it looked like Saltflat/flatsalt same thing but he said it would make since with the flat land barin land the main villian wants. so my guess is some people think on after the resorce of flat salt but then again. i maybe wrong.

#64 codenamel

codenamel

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:16 AM

As someone who does invest in South American natural resources, including petroleum, natural gas and copper, I would expect Dominic Greene would want control of a resource that the whole world depends upon for economic development and that can be mined in a limited number of locations around the world. Bolivia has just about everything from gold to petroleum, and the fact that it ramains dismally poor is testimony to how badly governed it has been since winning independence from Spain almost 200 years ago. I am only projecting my own bias, but my money is on copper. The United States, China and Europe all rely on Chilean and Mexican mines for that most useful of all metals. The electronics, defense and construction industries are highly dependent upon copper and he who controls copper, or a large share of it, has a huge say in who will command the engine of the global economy.

If asked to brief the board of directors of the Organization, I would make the case for copper as the natural resource to control as a first step to world domination. And copper is mined in the most desolate, arid regions like the Atacama Desert of northern Chile. Wars have been fought in this part of the world over those desolate regions. The Organization, however, may have something else in mind, but they are operating in exactly the right place for resource exploitation with an ideal climate of vast untapped resources, corrupt governments, despots of the right and left and the law of plomo y plata still in effect 19 years after Franz Sanchez fiery finish down in Isthmus.

#65 Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:22 AM

My guess is they're using a salt mine as cover for mining either uranium, or copper. :tup:

#66 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:25 AM

As someone who does invest in South American natural resources, including petroleum, natural gas and copper, I would expect Dominic Greene would want control of a resource that the whole world depends upon for economic development and that can be mined in a limited number of locations around the world. Bolivia has just about everything from gold to petroleum, and the fact that it ramains dismally poor is testimony to how badly governed it has been since winning independence from Spain almost 200 years ago. I am only projecting my own bias, but my money is on copper. The United States, China and Europe all rely on Chilean and Mexican mines for that most useful of all metals. The electronics, defense and construction industries are highly dependent upon copper and he who controls copper, or a large share of it, has a huge say in who will command the engine of the global economy.

If asked to brief the board of directors of the Organization, I would make the case for copper as the natural resource to control as a first step to world domination. And copper is mined in the most desolate, arid regions like the Atacama Desert of northern Chile. Wars have been fought in this part of the world over those desolate regions. The Organization, however, may have something else in mind, but they are operating in exactly the right place for resource exploitation with an ideal climate of vast untapped resources, corrupt governments, despots of the right and left and the law of plomo y plata still in effect 19 years after Franz Sanchez fiery finish down in Isthmus.

Well, you've convinced me about the suitability of copper. Best suggestion so far, IMO.

#67 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:53 AM

It'll be called Solace, hence the title.

#68 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:02 AM

Well, you've convinced me about the suitability of copper. Best suggestion so far, IMO.

I agree. Nice pickup there codenamel.

#69 SkorponokX

SkorponokX

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:28 PM

This is my first post here so please go gentle.

I think that Coltan might be a good fit for the mystery resource.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coltan

It is important for electrionics, especially mobile phones, and is in extremely high demand. Most of the worlds supply is found in the DRC which is highly unstable, so someone getting secure acces to another large source could gain control on the market. This ties in with Mr Greenes plan of installing a new leader in the unamed South American country, he would effectively be able to manipulate the situation to ensure he had sole access to the new mineral source.

Also in CR the oranisation helped a Ugandan militia group secure funding, similar groups are believed to be responsible for smuggling most of the Coltan out of the DCR. Is this another example of the organisation trying to gain a hold on the market?

Just an idea

#70 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:33 PM

It might be of interest to note that copper (like bronze) develops a green patina. So copper is often not copper in colour but green.

This is known as verdigris and is caused when the metal is exposed to the elements and a layer of the distinctive green copper carbonate forms.

This is probably just a coincidence, but you never know

#71 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:50 PM

How long before someone makes a

#72 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:51 PM

If asked to brief the board of directors of the Organization, I would make the case for copper as the natural resource to control as a first step to world domination. And copper is mined in the most desolate, arid regions like the Atacama Desert of northern Chile. Wars have been fought in this part of the world over those desolate regions. The Organization...are operating in exactly the right place for resource exploitation with an ideal climate of vast untapped resources, corrupt governments, despots of the right and left and the law of plomo y plata still in effect 19 years after Franz Sanchez fiery finish down in Isthmus.

Hope P&W + Haggis had a chat with you, o, about 6-odd months ago. :tup:

Good post, codenamel.

The plot synopsis is not too different from real life about 35 years later:

In 1973, tens of thousands of Chileans were massacred and their president, Allende', a socıalıst, was assassinated by the CIA. Within a few days General Augusto Pinochet was installed as the country's dictator.

The U.S. government under Nixon carried out this "regime change" because Allende', an elected leader, had nationalized their copper industry which infuriated the American ITT Corporation (International Telephone and Telegraph) who helped engineer the bloody coup with the CIA and the Chilean military.

If you think i'm making this up, look up the history books. :tup:

At the top of this thread I did consider copper, but since the James Bond movies' ethos is "divergence" as opposed to "reality", I thought copper would hit too close to home to the psyche of some South Americans and, hence, opted for Uranium (or its derivative, Plutonium) instead.

#73 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:24 AM

Sounds like it's oil:

http://blogs.reuters...ond-james-bond/

#74 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:29 AM

Oil. How utterly boring. Sort of makes sense, what with there being some very oil rich countries in SA.

Perhaps poor Gemma will be covered in Oil at some point.

#75 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

It's possible. Those stains on the floor could be oil, rather than blood.

#76 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

Perhaps drowned and choked in a bowl of oil. That could be quite brutal.

#77 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:54 PM

That would be quite cool.

#78 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:04 PM

It's possible. Those stains on the floor could be oil, rather than blood.

Same thought occurred to me.

Would be a bit strange though - that would basically make Green someone obsessed with oil (in the same way that Goldfinger was obsessed with gold). That just doesn't sound right to me... but I can really picture poor little Gemma lying there naked, except for the black, shiny liquid covering her. How to make that work, why she would be covered in oil, I really don't know (unless it's a biproduct of how she's killed).

#79 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

... but I can really picture poor little Gemma lying there naked, except for the black, shiny liquid covering her.

...'scuse me for a moment. A private moment.

#80 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

If asked to brief the board of directors of the Organization, I would make the case for copper as the natural resource to control as a first step to world domination.

"This is copper, Mr Bond. All my life, I've been in love with its colour, its brilliance, its refined usefulness. I welcome any enterprise that will increase my stock, which is considerable. In this part of the world, my law goes: plumber y plata..."

It'll be called Solace, hence the title.

LOL. You're a real weisenheimer, Jim!

#81 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:40 PM

I just realised, in my own fanwankering, sleuthing sort of way, that oil also ties in very well with Gemmas claims that her character comes to a sticky end. Crude oil is sticky, isn't it? (and as far as I know Quantum of Solace is not a XXX rated film).

#82 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:00 PM

For those who would have missed this other thread, a possible hint here:
http://debrief.comma...p...c=44996&hl=

#83 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:14 PM

Sounds like it's oil:

Hence her coming to a "sticky end".

(I always imagined that meant James was gonna jizz all over her apres b.j.) LOL! :tup:

#84 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:18 PM

Sounds like it's oil:

Hence her coming to a "sticky end".

(I always imagined that meant James was gonna jizz all over her apres b.j.) LOL! :tup:

A lovely image, and I suppose it is a natural resource.

And anyone objecting to the appropriateness of a discussion of sticky white love piss as the resource used by the villain evidently hasn't read The Facts of Death, although whether not having read The Facts of Death is a bad thing is a moot point.

#85 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:27 PM

A lovely image, and I suppose it is a natural resource.

All natural and from a resourceful bugger of a source.

#86 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:28 PM

And certainly sticky.

Apparently.

#87 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:31 PM

I just realised, in my own fanwankering, sleuthing sort of way, that oil also ties in very well with Gemmas claims that her character comes to a sticky end. Crude oil is sticky, isn't it? (and as far as I know Quantum of Solace is not a XXX rated film).

Maybe Fields is drowned in oil?

#88 Double-0 Seven

Double-0 Seven

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:33 PM

From the Eon plot synopsis:

"On a mission that leads him to Austria, Italy and South America, Bond discovers that Greene, conspiring to take total control of one of the world’s most important natural resources, is forging a deal with the exiled General Medrano (JOAQUIN COSIO)."

Is this resource uranium?

Uranium is the primary natural resource used to fuel nuclear power plants for civilian use...AND its derivative, plutonium, is required in order to create atomic weaponry.

I suspect the natural resource Greene/the Organization is after is not gold, diamonds or oil as these natural resources have been covered already in previous Bond movies.

Only other theory would be natural gas...which is clean burning and better than fossil fuels (i.e. oil/gasoline) for the environment. But I don't think it's natural gas Greene is after.

Anyone here know for sure or wish to hazard a guess?

It reminds me something...

http://www.imdb.com/...053/plotsummary

Edited by Double-0 Seven, 30 January 2008 - 07:49 PM.

#89 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:46 PM

Maybe Fields is drowned in oil?

Perhaps she's painted with oil; skin suffocation, after all... :tup:

#90 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:03 PM

Another thread has the secondary Bond girl citing oil as the natural resource. Well, either 1) she has no idea, or 2) she's engaging in some form of disinformation, or 3) the plot synopsis which states "total control" is completely erroneous.

You take your pick.

Understand what "total control" implies.

Understand that even OPEC does not have "total control" over world oil supplies.

Understand that China just became the world's largest producer of oil and understand that Russia, Norway, Canada and Mexico are also large suppliers of oil for global markets...and none of these geographically and politically diverse countries is part of OPEC.

You can believe sticky little Gemma or you can go by Eon's plot synopsis and come to your own conclusions.

If it is in fact oil, then Eon would be engaging in a fiction greater than the creation of a San Monique or an Isthmus City...and that would be quite a shame given their level of boldness these days.

Apparently.

O come now...you need not be a prude among us!

:tup: :tup: