Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

Is that bird **** by any chance :tup: ?

#32 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:16 PM

Is that bird **** by any chance :tup: ?

Doctor No got deeply involved in it, so why not? :tup:

#33 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:20 PM

I think you've got something my dear Blofeld's Cat. In fact, I can smell it in the air :tup:

#34 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:41 PM

Guano!

Arf! I love it!

#35 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:06 PM

I suspect it's something like uranium, which the villain has found such huge quantities of (and some clever scientist) that he can make it work. Iridium, for instance. They'd only need a little exposition about it, they'd be able to twist it a little from the cliche of uranium in the process, it wouldn't be fictional (no doubt we'd hear that it's possible, and someone's actually working on the ideas depicted in the film) and it would tie into the title.

#36 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:37 PM

Guano!

Brilliant! :tup:

Maybe some radioactive guano would make everyone happy? :tup:

#37 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:19 PM

I like the guano idea because I'd love to see a villain getting buried beneath a mound of it, as in Fleming's novel. I suppose he could just as easily be buried beneath a mound of salt, or uranium, or emeralds, or solace, or whatever else.

#38 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:26 PM

Blimey- you don't like anything Harmsway! Expect disappointment when you see it! :tup:

Well, I don't like anything yet, partially because I don't know enough about these fields. I'm sure that EON/Haggis/Forster has come up with something rather interesting, whether it be salt/uranium/oil/tin or such. Honestly, I'm being rather nitpicky right now, but I'd be mostly happy with any of 'em (aside from a fictional resource), I think, as long as their importance was constructed and explained in a plausible way.

The more I think about it, maybe uranium really is the best way to go. But the one thing that I can't shake is that picture of the salt flat on the website, but it's possible QUANTUM OF SOLACE will use the salt flat as something other than a salt flat.

#39 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:28 PM

My guess is Salt.

That's my guess as well. On the official website, the background looks as though it is a salt flat.

Also, the plot synopsis says that Greene is after a seemingly barren piece of land, which is basically what a salt flat would be.

How would the movie-going public be convinced that salt is either rare or in limited supply? I can buy a pound of it at the local store for 39 cents, we dump it on the roads here all winter by the truckload, there's a nearly limitless supply in the oceans, etc...

#40 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:31 PM

How would the movie-going public be convinced that salt is either rare or in limited supply? I can buy a pound of it at the local store for 39 cents, we dump it on the roads here all winter by the truckload, there's a nearly limitless supply in the oceans, etc...

Yeah, using salt seems rather ridiculous for that exact reason.

#41 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:35 PM

Maybe it's sugar cane, a la Fleming's TMWTGG. Problem is, cane doesn't grow on barren fields. But the idea could be the same as what Scaramanga and the Russians had planned for the West's sugar supply.

#42 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:39 PM

But the idea could be the same as what Scaramanga and the Russians had planned for the West's sugar supply.

Yeah, I was thinking about that.

#43 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:42 PM

But the idea could be the same as what Scaramanga and the Russians had planned for the West's sugar supply.

Yeah, I was thinking about that.

Glad we finally agree on something!!

#44 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

Maybe it's salt that has been enriched with uranium. Easy to transport & deadly when sprinkled on your dinner. I can hear almost hear it, "Now Mr. Bond, let's enjoy a shot of tequila before we discuss my plans to destroy the world. The salt shaker is to your left." :tup:

#45 TaoMike

TaoMike

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:35 PM

Well, Bolivia is home to the world's largest salt flat (Salar de Uyuni)...

Still, I find it hard to believe that salt itself is the mystery resource.

Edited by TaoMike, 27 January 2008 - 06:36 PM.

#46 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

Guano!

By God, you could be onto something...

But the one thing that I can't shake is that picture of the salt flat on the website, but it's possible QUANTUM OF SOLACE will use the salt flat as something other than a salt flat.

More than likely, it's a Bond film all. Is a bauxite mine just a mine? Is a volcano just a volcano? Is a salt flat just a salt flat?

Edited by Leon, 27 January 2008 - 06:55 PM.

#47 jimbo bond 007

jimbo bond 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:51 PM

I think it is mostly likely to be natural gas but since Bolivia has almost every natural resource under the sun (salt, tin, magnesium, iron etc) it really could be anything.

#48 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:40 PM

Natural gas is mentioned in the original short story, as well. So, you never know...

#49 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:44 PM

I do hope the writers haven't wrote in this natural resource thing for a suitable side storyline. :tup: and just focused on the revenge element.

#50 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:51 PM

Natural gas is mentioned in the original short story, as well. So, you never know...

Now that would certainly be another nice little nod to Fleming.

#51 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:13 PM

My guess is Salt.

That's my guess as well. On the official website, the background looks as though it is a salt flat.

Also, the plot synopsis says that Greene is after a seemingly barren piece of land, which is basically what a salt flat would be.

I agree. I don't think that salt is a good idea to use as the natural resource that Greene wants to dominate, but the evidence to the point that it's going to be salt is fairly convincing. We have a salt flat in the background on the official website, and it does say that Greene is looking to seize control of a seemily barren piece of land, which is what a salt flat is. It's not a good idea if salt is all Greene is after, but that's where the evidence is pointing so far.

#52 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:19 PM

I don't think that salt is a good idea to use as the natural resource that Greene wants to dominate, but the evidence to the point that it's going to be salt is fairly convincing.

We have some nice indicators that the salt flat will feature as the barren land in QUANTUM OF SOLACE. That said, there's no reason to believe that the salt flat will actually represent a simple salt flat in the film itself. They could be very well shooting it as a stand-in for something else (after all, it is rather visually impressive). But even if it is used in the film as a salt flat, we don't have any reason to believe it's an ordinary salt flat.

I think the ludicrousness of the idea that the salt market could be cornered is enough to shoot down any claims that the villain is really only after everyday salt. There has to be another angle to it, if salt is indeed the focus.

#53 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:22 PM

I don't think that salt is a good idea to use as the natural resource that Greene wants to dominate, but the evidence to the point that it's going to be salt is fairly convincing.

We have some nice indicators that the salt flat will feature as the barren land in QUANTUM OF SOLACE. That said, there's no reason to believe that the salt flat will actually represent a simple salt flat in the film itself, or that even if it is a simple salt flat, that there's nothing distinctive about it.

I think the ludicrousness of the idea that the salt market could be cornered is enough to shoot down any claims that the villain is really only after everyday salt. There has to be another angle to it, if salt is indeed the focus.

Maybe he's using the salt flat in a similar way that Sanchez was using gasoline in LTK. Mixing drugs in with the salt and then using that to smuggle the drugs anywhere he wants without it being detected. That would be a way to tie it into the drug smuggling rumors that were going around.

I'll admit that this idea is probably not totally plausible (and I'm not even sure I even like the idea I stated in the above paragraph), and I have no idea how such things work, but I do think that salt is going to be a somewhat significant role in the film based on the evidence so far.

#54 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

Perhaps he wants to extract all the sodium and chlorine from it.

#55 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

Maybe he's using the salt flat in a similar way that Sanchez was using gasoline in LTK. Mixing drugs in with the salt and then using that to smuggle the drugs anywhere he wants without it being detected. That would be a way to tie it into the drug smuggling rumors that were going around.

Despite being admittedly unoriginal, it doesn't exactly fit with how the official plot summary or the cast and crew comments presents things.

I'll admit that this idea is probably not totally plausible (and I'm not even sure I even like the idea I stated in the above paragraph), and I have no idea how such things work, but I do think that salt is going to be a somewhat significant role in the film based on the evidence so far.

I think there's strong evidence that the salt flat will be filmed as a stand-in for the barren land in QUANTUM OF SOLACE, but as far as the actual involvement of salt in the actual storyline I don't think we have any real evidence one way or the other. Just speculation.

#56 RivenWinner

RivenWinner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:13 AM

Single-O-Seven, I enjoyed reading over your comments about the fake "solace" resource. Very interesting.

#57 sark

sark

Lieutenant

• Enlisting
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:36 AM

I think it is mostly likely to be natural gas but since Bolivia has almost every natural resource under the sun (salt, tin, magnesium, iron etc) it really could be anything.

Those clever bastards! They've picked Bolivia so we can't narrow down the possible natural resource!

#58 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:53 AM

DNA sucked from all humans. :tup:

#59 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:16 AM

I think ... since Bolivia has almost every natural resource under the sun (salt, tin, magnesium, iron etc) it really could be anything.

Those clever bastards! They've picked Bolivia so we can't narrow down the possible natural resource!

Funnily enough, they are not even filming in Bolivia. Panama, Peru and northern Chile is where they'll be shooting and one or two or all three of these locations will be standing in for "Bolivia".

#60 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:12 AM

I think ... since Bolivia has almost every natural resource under the sun (salt, tin, magnesium, iron etc) it really could be anything.

Funnily enough, they are not even filming in Bolivia. Panama, Peru and northern Chile is where they'll be shooting and one or two or all three of these locations will be standing in for "Bolivia".

One, two, or all three will also be standing in for Haiti, which I think is an interesting choice for a Bond location. Maybe we'll see traces of Fleming's LALD appear here (namely the voodoo stuff). I think it would be a nice nod if Bond was reading a copy of Fermor's "The Traveller's Tree" for instance. Not that I'm really expecting any of this.