167 replies to this topic

#151 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:56 AM

For those of us who own the "Corinne Dufour SEIKO" (M354-5019) James Bond watch worn in Moonraker, you knew that as of this New Year's Eve just passed, the date function is no longer accurate?

Posted Image

There are work-arounds, of course, to keep the displays looking right and the calendar layouts straight. But it's just not the same as our knowing that the watch knows that it's really 2010.

B)

PS: Yes, I know-- gotta get the bracelet / clasp situation corrected here. (At least the case number is right here!).

#152 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:34 AM

I visited your impressive website, Dell. I haven't had time to read everything yet but I'm looking forward to it.

I looked over the official Eon watch list. I wonder if you have room for any of the extraneous items -- watches not seen in the film, but seen on Bond? Specifically, there's a publicity still of Roger Moore as Bond in Naval uniform for Spy. It looks like he's wearing a Rolex GMT Master II. I'd post it here but I don't think that's allowed. In any case, are you familiar with this photo?

Also, in Live and Let Die, Moore is seen wearing a watch that I can't identify. At a quick glance, one might think it's a Sub. But I don't think it's even a Rolex. It's smaller than a Sub, has a Jubilee style bracelet, black bezel. Can't tell what it is. You get a fairly good look at it during the boat chase not long after we meet J.W. Pepper. I believe this is the same watch Moore is wearing in a behind-the-scenes outside photo with Cubby and Saltzman. Moore's sitting in a director's chair.

#153 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:31 PM

I visited your impressive website, Dell. I haven't had time to read everything yet but I'm looking forward to it.

I looked over the official Eon watch list. I wonder if you have room for any of the extraneous items -- watches not seen in the film, but seen on Bond? Specifically, there's a publicity still of Roger Moore as Bond in Naval uniform for Spy. It looks like he's wearing a Rolex GMT Master II. I'd post it here but I don't think that's allowed. In any case, are you familiar with this photo?

Also, in Live and Let Die, Moore is seen wearing a watch that I can't identify. At a quick glance, one might think it's a Sub. But I don't think it's even a Rolex. It's smaller than a Sub, has a Jubilee style bracelet, black bezel. Can't tell what it is. You get a fairly good look at it during the boat chase not long after we meet J.W. Pepper. I believe this is the same watch Moore is wearing in a behind-the-scenes outside photo with Cubby and Saltzman. Moore's sitting in a director's chair.

Not sure about the rules here for Posting publicity stills, but I'll PM you with my eMail address and we can follow up that way.

If the photograph to which you refer can also be found on page 11 of The New Official James Bond 007 Movie Book with Timothy Dalton on the cover, then, yes, I'm familiar with it. The struggle is with "suspecting" or even "believing" that it must be in such-and-so a film, just unseen below the cuff, because the wardrobe is otherwise consistent.

Where is the movie frame in which at least a part of it can (arguably) be seen?

This sort of question goes to The Definitive List itself. For example, if you have the out-take DVD from A View to a Kill, you know that there's a version of the "Eiffel Tower SEIKO" as a gadget watch there. So, when Bond is sprung from jail by M and they're driving out, he "must" be wearing that one, right? As it stands on my site, we're saying not.

That said, welcome to the niche within a niche here on CBn that enjoys (respectfully) looking for such things, intelligently vetting possibilities, and then getting dirty to the last details. I've probably got more not-used images on a hard drive here than used ones; I'm in the process of putting together a page that'll be called something like "Fleming didn't wear it, Eon didn't show it," and these are just the sort of things for that.

Nice bump for the "Watches, James Bond Watches" Thread!

PS: Elsewhere in the world of Bond, the screen name you've chosen has been poorly represented. However, assuming an admirable connection to a truly great Ian Fleming novel, remind me if I forget that (after I'm done working on another watch-related effort with CBn) I have some new information to share on the G-P that Grant wore in From Russia with Love.

#154 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:41 AM

I'd be willing to bet that Moore doesn't wear the GMT in the film at all. The picture looks like either a publicity still or a wardrobe test in an antiseptic setting.

And Live and Let Die, I couldn't tell you the time code for the DVD or something like that, but if you go to youtube and search for the boat chase pt. 1, then scroll ahead to 6:26, you'll see a decent frame of the watch.

p.s. I decided on the user name "Donovan" because my grandfather flew with General Wild Bill Donovan in WWII.

#155 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:55 PM

Just posted a complete set of operating instructions for the SEIKO G757 from Octopussy on the James Bond Watches website. English only, 20 pages.

This is what we've labeled the "Pseudo-Analogue SEIKO" in our definitive list of James Bond watches from Eon Productions films. Per the prop department, it supposedly featured a built-in tracker from Q Branch. Most folks remember it as the one that kept getting close-ups as James Bond raced to the Octopussy Circus in hopes of getting there in time to de-activate the nuclear bomb.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Formally, it's a "SEIKO Quartz Digital Type Calibre G757 Graphic Alarm Chronograph Sports 100" wristwatch. Specific to what Roger Moore wore in the film, that wristwatch was a calibre G757-5020, model WLK005.

Edited by Dell Deaton, 18 February 2010 - 03:55 PM.

#156 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:42 AM

Thought I'd give the "shoot your own Rolex" a try.

Posted Image

#157 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:45 AM

Thought I'd give the "shoot your own Rolex" a try.

Posted Image

Wow: That's spectacular.

Any further details you'd be willing to share (watch-wise and/or photography-wise)?

#158 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:40 PM

It's not officially a Bond watch...it's a 14060m, but at least the modern version of the dateless Sub. It was made in 2002 or '03.

Because I did this by myself the only way to shoot it was with a high definition video camera on a tripod. For you techies it's 1080p. So, in effect, it's a still from a video clip. High-def, progressive can make for really good still images. Using video allowed me to see what I was doing through a monitor and allowed me to grab the right frame so it's the same time as in Goldfinger. I even turned the bezel off-center as it was in the film.

The lighter...heh...is a Bic but I wanted the flip-top. So you see my thumb holding down the fuel as opposed to what I guess was a Ronson or Dunhill lighter used in the original film shot.

#159 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:27 PM

Very nice picture indeed, Donovan, and such a thing for details!

I myself am very fond of watches, although I don't specifically own any that's been seen in a Bond movie. The closest there is would be my Omega Seamaster 300M GMT (Caliber Omega 2628, Co-Axial Escapement). Actually, I've always found it quite intriguing that Bond never wears any GMT watch. Just a thought.

#160 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:16 PM

Moving on to new media, then, I thought it would be nice to first share my YouTube series titled, "Exploring James Bond Watches" with my great friends here on CBn.

First up: The Hamilton Pulsar P2, worn by Roger Moore for his introduction as James Bond 007 in Live and Let Die. This is one of my older pieces, actually acquired when they were coming out originally: Yes, I've actually been at this that long (longer, in fact).

In their time, these were truly exotic wristwatches and it is easy to see as someone who followed technology through this phase how folks might have thought then that digital was the future of horology. And when this Pulsar was released, it was a real toss-up regarding LED versus LCD as ultimate direction.

Additionally, started with this one because it shines best in actual operation; stills just don't cut that.

As I continue to ramp up on YouTube videos of James Bond Watches, I'll upload more in the series. Before long, that will also include some great things to come as we start preparations later this month on "Bond Watches, James Bond Watches" installation at the National Watch & Clock Museum exhibit for its June 18, 2010, opening.

#161 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:11 PM

Looks like this thread is long-overdue for a bump.

And-- FYI, my feature article finally identifying all James Bond watches supplied by Seiko UK to the Eon Productions 007 films is now available to read online (free). This ran in the fourth-quarter 2010 issue of Revolution magazine.

Posted Image

Much as I like the "credibility" of print publications, the lead-times can be incredibly long. In pulling the original copy I submitted for this, as an example, it looks like it went in last April. At that time, we were not at liberty to identify Mr Mark Mills, who was actually the field contact for Eon through the 1970s and 1980s. He's since retired from Seiko UK. Incredibly, as I've mentioned elsewhere, he'd never before been approached, nor provided documentation, on this further bit of James Bond film history. So I'm glad to have come in under the wire, as it were.

As a further point of information, Mr Mills personally restored the Seiko model WLK005, caliber G757-5020 pseudo-analogue wristwatch currently on display as part of the "Bond Watches, James Bond Watches" exhibit at the National Watch & Clock Museum (work did not extend to the bracelet). Roger Moore wore an identical non-gadget piece in Octopussy (1983).

Documentation he provided in connection with all this can be seen there as well, in the case featuring the three models associated with A View to a Kill (1985).

#162 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:49 PM

Does anyone know what or if Hamilton watches were used in QOS and which character wore one? I am guessing Felix?

#163 ESLinder

ESLinder

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:41 PM

Does anyone know what or if Hamilton watches were used in QOS and which character wore one? I am guessing Felix?

Its a Hamilton Khaki X-wind automatic with a black dial and white subdials

Posted Image

Edited by ESLinder, 13 July 2011 - 11:42 PM.

#164 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:42 PM

Thank you ESLinder

#165 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

Tell the time in the style of James Bond

http://www.thisissom...tail/story.html

#166 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

http://local.stv.tv/...uchanan-street/

http://local.stv.tv/...uchanan-street/

#167 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:55 PM

http://www.macobserv...our-apple-watch

#168 Skylla

Skylla

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:43 PM

I always thought that the 16600 Rolex Sea-Dweller should have been Brosnans watch. I think Fleming as a passioned diver would have had one in the 90´s, always opting for the best...sorry, but couldn´t manage to upload the picture of mine.

Edited by Skylla, 24 April 2015 - 09:47 PM.